Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

Old 11-19-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
And with that I'm gonna hush. I think I'm just pissing folks off.
I think it's just that your negative comments on the new timeline were voiced without even seeing the movie first, and the issue with actors sticking around is so far way (12/13 years from now) it's not even a thing at this point.
Old 11-19-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
And with that I'm gonna hush. I think I'm just pissing folks off.
It does help if you've actually seen a movie before you start disparaging it.
Old 11-19-09, 07:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try telling that to the haters in the AVATAR thread.
Old 11-19-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't really disparaging it. Just mentioning that I had reservations. Hell I still bought it didn't I?
Old 11-20-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
so all it would need is optical/coaxil cable to decode the lossless? (sorry for sounding like an idiot
No, the Blu-ray player would decode the lossless (you need to buy a player that has a built-in decoder) and analog (six regular RCA cables) to connect the player to your receiver's 5.1-channel analog inputs. You would not use optical or coaxial digital cables at all.
Old 11-21-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert
At mine the Blu-Ray Enterprise had a shelf price of $29.99.
I got this also, but my 2 Targets had it for $24.99 . And the regular BR for $19.99.
Old 11-21-09, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Also noticed that the regular BR says 30 featurettes while the Enterprise Case says 31 featurettes. Any truth to that?, haven't seen mine yet.
Old 11-21-09, 07:22 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Just got the BR version from Wal-Mart for 20 bucks... so now I have to get a BR player on Black Friday
Old 11-22-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Apparently you need to go back and watch it again, as you're missing the point to their explanation as to why things are different....there is no need to feel resentful, as everything that has previously happened canon-wise still applies to the "original/prime" time line and everything from the original shows and movies DID happen....this new movie, and all events going forward from the time Nero appears in the past creates a new, off-shooting alternate time line.....
That makes no sense. Star Trek uses the Back to the Future model of time travel where changes to the past over-write the future. The alternate time-line model negates many great episodes, including City on the Edge of Forever and Yesterday's Enterprise.

Letting Edith Keeler die no longer prevents the Nazis from winning WWII, it just lets Kirk & co. get back to their timeline while the alternate one continues like normal.

Sending the Enterprise-C back to its doom makes no difference -- the original timeline still existed throughout the episode and the new one doesn't erase after being fixed.

Stopping the Borg in First Contact doesn't destroy the alternate timeline with the Borgified Earth.

Etc.

They should've just rebooted and been done with it.

Or changed the whole damn thing to a Tom Corbett -- Space Cadet movie.
Old 11-22-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
If you don't think that every lead actor here has a multi-film agreement in their contract, you're a crazy person. Also, I'm sure they HATE being paid millions to star as characters known the world over in one of the most high-profile, financially and critically successful franchise reboots in recent history. Let me know when "something better" comes along compared to that.
Wil Wheaton, Terry Farrell, and Denise Crosby were both under multi-season contracts, and, while not being paid millions of dollars, were getting what every actor dreams of -- a steady income. Yet they all bailed because they thought they could do better. And Kirstie Alley didn't come back for Star Trek III because she wanted as much money as Shatner.

Most actors don't like being type-cast and want to play a variety of rolls. If they think their character is going nowhere and have a project they'd rather be doing, they'll bail like Vincent Chase on Aquaman 2.
Old 11-22-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
That makes no sense. Star Trek uses the Back to the Future model of time travel where changes to the past over-write the future. The alternate time-line model negates many great episodes, including City on the Edge of Forever and Yesterday's Enterprise.

Letting Edith Keeler die no longer prevents the Nazis from winning WWII, it just lets Kirk & co. get back to their timeline while the alternate one continues like normal.

Sending the Enterprise-C back to its doom makes no difference -- the original timeline still existed throughout the episode and the new one doesn't erase after being fixed.

Stopping the Borg in First Contact doesn't destroy the alternate timeline with the Borgified Earth.

Etc.

They should've just rebooted and been done with it.

Or changed the whole damn thing to a Tom Corbett -- Space Cadet movie.

See TNG eps:
Yesterday's Enterprise
Parallels

Star Trek uses whatever theory of time travel that best fits the scenario. As long as they stick to that theory within the workings of each story, then it's fine.

While there's still a part of me that wouldn't have minded just doing a straight reboot, there's a bigger part of me that was impressed by how they pulled this off.

If you'll just think about it for a moment, doing it this way doesn't negate a damn thing. It all still happens, in the other timeline.
Simple, almost painfully simple if I can skirt the edge of rudeness there for a moment...
Old 11-22-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When the movie itself says that there are now differing timelines, I'm going to believe it.
Old 11-22-09, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you're saying that if nobody went to the past and killed Hitler's parents before they did the sex...you're saying we'd still have the holocaust?
Old 11-23-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found this over on home media magazine.com:

...But if you really want to know how much the filmmakers had Star Wars on the mind when making the new Star Trek, then check out this Easter Egg at the 47:39 mark of the film. Pause it just when it cuts to the viewscreen and keep an eye on the space just above Sulu’s head as you advance the image frame-by-frame.

Yep, that’s R2-D2 floating through the debris. Those guys at Lucas’ Industrial Light and Magic are such kidders.

It isn’t the first time Star Wars' and Star Trek’s destinies have intertwined. The success of Star Wars in 1977 motivated Paramount to abandon its attempts to revive the series and instead make an effects-heavy feature film (though Star Trek: The Motion Picture, with its endless sweeping shots of various starships, seems more tonally similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey).

In the mid-1990s, “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” introduced a war storyline that seemed to borrow elements from the “Star Wars” model (including a religious element similar to The Force), albeit played out over a much longer narrative.

Lucas, for his part, seemed to take a jab at “Star Trek” in 1999’s The Phantom Menace, referring to the bad guys in the film as a Federation (the line “We may have to accept Federation control for a while” seems like a reference to the proliferation of “Trek” shows after Return of the Jedi).
Old 11-24-09, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

It kinda fits, amazed that people go frame-by-frame for any movie. So is Indiana Jones related to Kirk now??

Edit: And the article doesn't even mention the Enterprise showing up in the prequels???

Last edited by The Cow; 11-24-09 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-25-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No others having issues with the Star Trek case scratching the DVDs? Mine were so bad I had to return it. Of course they were out so I had to bypass the fool and go straight to the head fool. Fortunatey he had the common sense to swap out the discs with another 2 disc set.

No others with scratched DVDs?
Old 11-25-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Wil Wheaton, Terry Farrell, and Denise Crosby were both under multi-season contracts, and, while not being paid millions of dollars, were getting what every actor dreams of -- a steady income. Yet they all bailed because they thought they could do better.
And where are they now? Yeah, I don't know either.
Old 11-26-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Watched this last night and loved it! One question. What's that crevasse doing in the middle of Iowa in the corvette scene? From the Xindi(sp?) weapon in the Enterprise series?
Old 11-26-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's just a quarry.
Old 11-26-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
It's just a quarry.
Look again. That thing is as big, or bigger than The Grand Canyon. Looks to be miles long and a good mile deep.
Old 11-26-09, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
Look again. That thing is as big, or bigger than The Grand Canyon. Looks to be miles long and a good mile deep.
Nice catch. I thought it *was* the Grand Canyon. My geography knowledge is so poor I forgot that it was not in Iowa, despite having been there.

I haven't had problems with scratched disks, but I own the single DVD, which has standard packaging.

Great R2D2 catch!
Old 11-26-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched this last night and loved it! One question. What's that crevasse doing in the middle of Iowa in the corvette scene? From the Xindi(sp?) weapon in the Enterprise series?
If I remember correctly, the Xindi attack was primarily felt in Florida and the surrounding areas. I don't think it went as far as Iowa, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-26-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's incredible. A shame then, that the director and writers specifically say it's a quarry on the movie commentary.

You know, and the fact that it looks exactly like a quarry.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 11-26-09 at 10:30 PM.