Wiki lost in the forum update
Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Originally Posted by Trevor
Exactly my argument! We've already got the freaks and geeks. Let's make Challenges where the normals will come out to play.

But with 10+ months taken by Challenges, there is no time to get to those "normal" films. As one of us who pretty much does every Challenge, I'd love a time of the year for every genre.
Although I've only recently started to participate in the Challenges, I'd like to agree with Trevor's point about "freaks and geeks". It is great to see so much attention devoted to specialized markets such as horror films, Criterion releases, etc., but finding "a time of the year for every genre" would allow us to get around to watching some of those non-niche titles in our collections. Additionally, to include broader genres might encourage a larger group of participants.
Old 10-26-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I just think that the lion's share of movies ever made are either drama, comedy or action. When I think of the challenges, I think of a specific theme (medium, genre, awards-based, etc.). Those just feel too broad and generic to me for an actual challenge. But hey, if you host it, I'll very likely participate.
Old 10-27-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasB
Although I've only recently started to participate in the Challenges, I'd like to agree with Trevor's point about "freaks and geeks". It is great to see so much attention devoted to specialized markets such as horror films, Criterion releases, etc., but finding "a time of the year for every genre" would allow us to get around to watching some of those non-niche titles in our collections. Additionally, to include broader genres might encourage a larger group of participants.
Some of the Challenges may seem narrower than they really are though. Films for the Holiday Challenge don't have to be about the holidays. They can be any film from any genre that takes place during the "Holiday Season." The Academy Award Challenge includes any film from any genre that was nominated in any category for an Academy Award. The Historical Challenge includes any film from any genre that takes place in the past.
Old 10-27-10, 04:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kinda feel like we are wasting a month if we do this in Jan., I to would love to see a Dramedy challenge (I'm probably biased, I'm not really into Action/Adventure), and although I voted differently in the poll I just think the easiest way would be to do it in November and allow currently airing episodes, since that seems to be the concern with new episodes being aired vs. a mainly repeats month.
Old 10-27-10, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem is that January is the last full month left, and we have lots of unexplored ideas and genres.

November is perfect for TV because of the nice merge with Holiday.
Originally Posted by HyperWeather
I just think the easiest way would be to do it in November and allow currently airing episodes
I agree.
Old 10-27-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HyperWeather
I kinda feel like we are wasting a month if we do this in Jan., I to would love to see a Dramedy challenge (I'm probably biased, I'm not really into Action/Adventure), and although I voted differently in the poll I just think the easiest way would be to do it in November and allow currently airing episodes, since that seems to be the concern with new episodes being aired vs. a mainly repeats month.
No one bothered to propose a Dramedy Challenge before the TV idea was thrown out there, so it loses. There, I said it. If anyone wants to get a discussion thread going for such a challenge, be my guest, but there are members who have already expressed an interest in participating in a TV challenge in January and so far as I'm concerned, they've got a first-come, first-served claim on the month.

As for the issue of new content vs. reruns, it makes no sense to host a TV challenge during a month of new content being aired. January is completely dead with nothing else competing for their time and attention; yes, they could count the new content airing in November, but that doesn't give much time for the marathon viewings of DVD box sets that several have expressed a desire to have.

So if anyone reading this has a problem with TV in January, they best get to the poll and vote for it in November or get another challenge discussion thread going to sway away TV participants.
Old 10-27-10, 02:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
No one bothered to propose a Dramedy Challenge before the TV idea was thrown out there, so it loses. There, I said it. If anyone wants to get a discussion thread going for such a challenge, be my guest, but there are members who have already expressed an interest in participating in a TV challenge in January and so far as I'm concerned, they've got a first-come, first-served claim on the month.
Relax. We're just having a discussion trying to decide which month is best. In the past, we've worked together to try to plan Challenges the right way to make all of them better. We've discussed Comedy, Drama, and all the other genre challenges in the past, but you're right, no one has formally planned one yet.

January appears to be the decision for TV, and that's great.

Perhaps we could have Dramedy for either Feb or March, and Action/Adventure for the other. I'll run one of them if someone else volunteers for the other.
As for the issue of new content vs. reruns, it makes no sense to host a TV challenge during a month of new content being aired. January is completely dead with nothing else competing for their time and attention; yes, they could count the new content airing in November, but that doesn't give much time for the marathon viewings of DVD box sets that several have expressed a desire to have.
Seems completely the opposite to me. One can watch their DVD sets anytime. But if my personal challenge is to watch shows that I don't own, then a month with new content seems better. But that decision looks past us, and January will work for me.
Old 10-27-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps we could have Dramedy for either Feb or March, and Action/Adventure for the other. I'll run one of them if someone else volunteers for the other.
I just wanted to quote this before you edit it.
Old 10-27-10, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I just wanted to quote this before you edit it.
I've been passing the buck on several of these Challenges, guess it's time I put a little more work in.

How about this? I'll run both of them if you do MYOC 2: Electric Boogalo for November.
Old 10-27-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If nothing else, this discussion has given me my MYOC theme: Dramedy. Watch a drama, followed by a comedy. Sophie's Choice then Meatballs, No Country for Old Men then Revenge of the Nerds.

It could be awesome or it could be a trainwreck. Fun either way!
Old 10-27-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been passing the buck on several of these Challenges, guess it's time I put a little more work in.

How about this? I'll run both of them if you do MYOC 2: Electric Boogalo for November.
November, 2011?
Old 10-27-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
If nothing else, this discussion has given me my MYOC theme: Dramedy. Watch a drama, followed by a comedy. Sophie's Choice then Meatballs, No Country for Old Men then Revenge of the Nerds.

This reminds me of a night back in high school, when I had some friends over and we stayed up all night with this double feature: Doctor Zhivago followed by Wayne's World. You wouldn't think it, but that pairing was awesome!
Old 10-27-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This reminds me of a night back in high school, when I had some friends over and we stayed up all night with this double feature: Doctor Zhivago followed by Wayne's World. You wouldn't think it, but that pairing was awesome!
I'm putting that pairing on my list.
Old 10-27-10, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom

That sounds fun. Perhaps I'll try an extreme version. A kids film alternating with my more extreme horrors.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
November, 2011?
I guess it's a little late for next week, huh? But I think I'll do a mini one of my own for the empty 3 weeks. Maybe a Pink Panther marathon.
Sounds intriguing. Haven't seen either in quite awhile....
Old 01-31-11, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Two months away from the Drive-In Challenge. Any objections to it starting March 31, so it gets 31 days and doesn't have to overlap with the May MYOC?
Old 01-31-11, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds good. Correct me if I'm wrong - there are no challenges in March, right?
Old 01-31-11, 07:50 AM

Right, just overhang from the Academy Award challenge the first week. I think March is a nice break from challenges, anyway.
Old 03-01-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Alright, let's get the pre-session, drive-in challenge list up so we can all fight about what's allowed.

I've just about finished rounding up my martial arts movies. When that's done, I'm looking for spaghetti westerns. If I get those rounded up, then it's straight westerns for the rest of the month.
Old 03-01-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Thanks for bumping to confirm the lack of current challenges, as I was about to ask in the Movie Talk thread. Since I just started the challenges last year with historical and sci-fi, it seems a little weird not to have something to be striving for, and I actually might have some time to watch this month. Maybe I'll just catch up on Chuck.
Old 03-02-11, 02:44 AM

It should be up here soon. I'm going through a collection of Exploitation posters for the graphics.
Old 03-03-11, 08:28 AM

Thread is up.

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge
Old 06-02-11, 10:11 AM

Fwiw, I've finally updated the links in the first few posts to include (I think) every Challenge-related thread we've ever had here. Still need to tweak them a bit for clarity and uniformity, but at least they're complete.

Maybe someday I'll put them all in fancy formatted tables with Challenge-related graphics and pictures.
Old 06-02-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

The only thing I'd suggest adding is a simple list of the challenges and when they run.
Old 06-02-11, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The only thing I'd suggest adding is a simple list of the challenges and when they run.
Doh!

But yeah, I've always planned to make the first post into a welcome/schedule post, and move the links into tables in the next post or three.

Hopefully I'll keep at it now that I'm a roll.
Old 06-02-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Thanks, Trevor!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.