Wiki lost in the forum update
Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 10:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

I've added a really boring and simple table to the first post as a schedule; and am experimenting with a table format for the individual Challenges in post number two.

Probably overkill, my OCD manifests in things like this, but feel free to give feedback.
Old 06-13-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

I like the table as a visual representation of the yearly calendar. There's a typo in May.
Old 06-13-11, 12:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Not overkill at all, Trevor. I really like it. Looks much 'cleaner' and it's easier to find the threads. Thanks!
Old 06-13-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trevor, the header in the third column isn't underlined, like the first two.

Spoiler:
You're not the only one around here with OCD.

Nice job, Trevor. I didn't realize all the months were filled.
Old 06-14-11, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I like the table as a visual representation of the yearly calendar. There's a typo in May.
Thanks, fixed!
Originally Posted by tarfrimmer
Not overkill at all, Trevor. I really like it. Looks much 'cleaner' and it's easier to find the threads. Thanks!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Trevor, the header in the third column isn't underlined, like the first two.

Spoiler:
You're not the only one around here with OCD.
Wait, am I blind? Under "partial month"?
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Nice job, Trevor. I didn't realize all the months were filled.
With Comedy coming in November, we're up to 11 Challenges. But with Academy Award bridging two months, we could, in theory, have separate Challenges for those individual months.

I think Action/Adventure would be the best option if we added another.
Old 07-05-11, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just referred to this thread to figure out when the Criterion challenge is. I had forgotten about animation.
Old 08-13-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The guy that does the Criterion challenge hasn't posted in over a month and we're about a few weeks away until it starts.
Old 08-13-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Criterion pretty much runs itself because of the infrastructure of the checklist and the fact there's no doubt whether or not a movie was selected as part of the collection. I don't mind to get the threads going if we don't hear from him soon.

I'm not sure what my participation will be like this year, thanks to the severing of the Criterion streaming relationship with Netflix. Last year, I completed the entire checklist save one item. I'll hit up my local library for some stuff, but last year they only had a small selection from the lower numbers. Still, I'm looking forward to this one in large part because it's the one challenge that not only allows, but encourages, viewing of bonus content.
Old 08-14-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey now, my challenges allow bonus content. It just may or may not count

Hulu Plus acquired all the Criterion stuff, so there's always a free trial.

I never really do much of anything for this challenge. I have a few discs I haven't cracked open yet so I may watch those. I'll also admit that while I've seen over half the Criterion titles out there, I really don't have that much of an interest in the majority of them that I've seen. There's probably only a few dozen that I really liked.
Old 08-15-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll definitely participate. I got Blow-Out on sale and think my kid would dig Broadcast News. Kind of a pipe dream but I've always wanted to see The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels and I've owned the CCs for years.
Old 08-15-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'll definitely participate. I got Blow-Out on sale and think my kid would dig Broadcast News. Kind of a pipe dream but I've always wanted to see The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels and I've owned the CCs for years.
I watched Sullivan's Travels for last year's challenge and liked it quite a lot. It's clearly an ancestor in many ways of O Brother, Where Art Thou? (which I loved). And I loved the message. You're probably already aware of its payoff scene, but if you're not, I really urge you to avoid reading or discussing it until you've seen it for yourself.
Old 08-15-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started a discussion thread for next month's Criterion Challenge, but like the twit I am, I screwed up and posted it in the HD Talk section. Don't worry, I've already reported it to moderators to have it moved to the DVD sub-forum. In the interim, here it is.
Old 09-17-11, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Where's the Action/Crime/Noir Challenge?
Originally Posted by Trevor
February. Although I think I'll call it Action/Adventure.
Awesome! I have some ideas for you when you start the discussion thread--or maybe sooner! I'll wait till after your wedding/honeymoon/move.
Moved these from the Criterion Challenge thread.

I don't plan to put much thought into it until Jan 1st, but feel free to go ahead with your ideas!

I think Action films lend themselves very well to marathon viewing. Am personally looking forward to doing a all-the-Bond-films marathon and a Noir boxset perhaps.

I'll have the 100 count goal, but shorts and TV shows are worth the same as a 4 hour epic film.

Lots of potential for checklist items I think.
Old 09-18-11, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Moved these from the Criterion Challenge thread.

I don't plan to put much thought into it until Jan 1st, but feel free to go ahead with your ideas!

I think Action films lend themselves very well to marathon viewing. Am personally looking forward to doing a all-the-Bond-films marathon and a Noir boxset perhaps.

I'll have the 100 count goal, but shorts and TV shows are worth the same as a 4 hour epic film.

Lots of potential for checklist items I think.
Wait, what? Won't this conflict with the Academy Awards Challenge? That's one of my favorites, 'cause there's a nice structure to it, and the buildup to the awards themselves helps give it a payoff the other challenges don't have.

Also, I tend to go on my Bond kicks around this time of year (I'm on one now, as a matter of fact!). By February, I've generally gotten it out of my system.
Old 09-18-11, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Wait, what? Won't this conflict with the Academy Awards Challenge?
Yep. But there are only 12 months, and every other non-conflicting month is booked.

While I doubt we'll ever have two Challenges covering the same entire month, no Challenge has "control" of a month, let alone two or three months.

The Holiday Challenge, my favorite, covers parts of three months, but we already have other Challenges to share it's November and January incursions.

The Academy Awards Challenge, my favorite, is always going to have random dates, even covering part of January once iirc.

While I'd love to have separations between every Challenge, there are going to be at least 12 of them, and with Academy spanning two months, we're going to have to share.
Old 09-18-11, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I'd love to have separations between every Challenge, there are going to be at least 12 of them, and with Academy spanning two months, we're going to have to share.
Wait...isn't March still open? I can't think of anything between Academy Awards and B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-In.
Old 09-18-11, 07:25 AM

Wait...isn't March still open? I can't think of anything between Academy Awards and B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-In.
Oscar night changes all the time, from November to May, although it has been consistently February or March since 1988. So our Academy Awards Challenge always covers two different months.

I see that this coming year it ends in February again, so we'll do Action/Adventure in March. February will be "open" for a potential different genre.
Old 09-18-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Oscar night changes all the time, from November to May, although it has been consistently February or March since 1988. So our Academy Awards Challenge always covers two different months.

I see that this coming year it ends in February again, so we'll do Action/Adventure in March. February will be "open" for a potential different genre.
What challenge comes in November before the Holiday Challenge?
Old 09-18-11, 07:31 AM

What challenge comes in November before the Holiday Challenge?
Comedy. Here's the schedule from the first post.

This next year we'll have three Challenges active in January.

DVDTalk Challenge Schedule

Month
Month-long Challenge
Partial Month Challenge
JanuaryTVHoliday ends on the 1st; varying Academy Award
Februarynonevarying Academy Award
MarchAction/Adventure/Crimevarying Academy Award
AprilDrive-In/Exploitation/B-Movienone
MayMake-Your-Ownnone
JuneHistorical Appreciationnone
JulySci-Fi/Fantasynone
AugustAnimationnone
SeptemberCriterionnone
OctoberHorrornone
NovemberComedyHoliday starts week of Thanksgiving
DecemberHolidaynone

Last edited by Trevor; 09-20-11 at 12:33 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 10-10-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't it about time for whoever is doing the Comedy challenge to start up the discussion thread, especially since it's the first year of the challenge? Got to work the kinks out early.
Old 10-10-11, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Isn't it about time for whoever is doing the Comedy challenge to start up the discussion thread, especially since it's the first year of the challenge? Got to work the kinks out early.
I PMed them and bumped the interest thread.
Old 10-10-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have no idea how I missed that.
Old 11-23-11, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In lieu of my personal situation, I won't be able to host the TV on DVD* Challenge in January. You can review how we did it this year, or it can be entirely revamped; I don't claim any kind of exclusive ownership of it. Y'all do what you wanna do with it. I may be a participant if circumstances allow.
Old 11-24-11, 11:17 AM

There is probably a Thanksgiving thread in Other, but I would rather post my annual note of thankfulness in a challenge thread. Given that we currently have ~9 active Challenge threads, I figured this one was most appropriate.

Even through bad times such as health issues, relationship woes, financial setbacks, and losing my father; I can easily stay positive thanks to my simple extreme appreciation of basics like living in a free country, air to breathe, and opposable thumbs. God has blessed more than ever this year, with a wonderful wife and stepdaughter. Change is hard for me, and Jen getting used to my OCD will make life difficult, but still fantastically perfect.

I've loved this forum for many years now, most of my "socializing" the past 14 years has been right here. I feel at home here, and am very thankful for all of you.
In lieu of my personal situation, I won't be able to host the TV on DVD* Challenge in January. You can review how we did it this year, or it can be entirely revamped; I don't claim any kind of exclusive ownership of it. Y'all do what you wanna do with it. I may be a participant if circumstances allow.
One of the things I love about this place is the willingness of people like Travis to share their struggles. Venting with you, laughing at and with you, learning about current news and issues, getting advice from you, and just generally "living with" you all is what makes me appreciate you all so much.

I hope and pray that things dramatically and quickly improve Travis, and that you come back here full strength. But if not, and no one else volunteers, I'll mediocrely host that Challenge for you for a year.

No spell check on Jen's computer, so please forgive the likely more errors than usual.

Back to making 6 layer dip and watching the Macy's parade. Talk with you later friends.
Old 11-24-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^What Trevor said.

(Oh, and thanks!)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.