Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: What Cataloging System Do You Use?
DVDProfiler
44.30%
DVDAficionado
26.16%
DVDPedia
3.38%
Delicious Library
2.95%
Microsoft Word/Excel
6.75%
Other
9.70%
None At All
6.75%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Cataloging - What Program Do You Use?

There is a DVD Collection template for access. I'm going to play with that some and hopefully just use that. I used to use Profiler.
Old 06-09-09, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Delicious Library 2 for Mac. Really wish they would release the damn iPhone app already.
Old 06-09-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I use DVDProfiler. It has its pros and cons. The main con is that so far contributing titles to the database has been a pain, I don't even try anymore, they just shoot down anything I want to contribute, so I add them to my own collection and lock them. .
I used to have this problem, but the last few dvds I have put in that didnt have profiles yet, I contributed. These were very, very basic. Just title, list price, release date, studio run time etc. No cast or crew info, and they were all accepted. I guess it depends on who actually looks at the profile. Mayeb it helped that I put a note on it saying there was no profile yet, and I did this one as a spot filler in my collection.
Old 06-09-09, 09:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
It's just easier to use Open Office and keep the spreadsheet right on my desktop.

The only reason I want my collection online is to show it off. Sure, Google Docs could do that somewhat, but it's not as pretty as a database like DVDSpot or DVDaf. No one wants to look at a spreadsheet.
True, but I don't want my collection database portable/online for others, but for myself.

If I'm at home, I don't need the list handy, the shelves are right there. When I need the list is when I'm not at home.

Edit to add in response to below: Good points. When I win the lottery I'll buy you a better phone.

Last edited by Trevor; 06-09-09 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
True, but I don't want my collection database portable/online for others, but for myself.

If I'm at home, I don't need the list handy, the shelves are right there. When I need the list is when I'm not at home.
Right now most of my collection is in boxes due to a lack of space, so I need the list to be handy at home.

When I'm not at home I have to wing it. My phone can't really do web stuff anyway. If it did having my list online would be much more important.
Old 06-11-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past, I'd used DVD Profiler, but got away from it due to the box set issues they had. So I started simply maintaining my list in Excel. However, then I wanted to add into DVD Profiler, but discovered that it's a pain to enter by title. So I procrastinated for maybe two years.

Well, we're moving, so I spent a couple of days going through my entire collection and recording each and every UPC and then entering into DVD Profiler. And I finally paid to register it. It's a great app.
Old 06-11-09, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
When I need the list is when I'm not at home.
For that I have a DVD database program for my iPod. Google them. There are a bunch of different ones. What I need to do is get myself an iPhone so I can just visit my DVD webpage (http://www.dkephotography.com/dkedvd.htm). Then I wont have to update two databases.
Old 06-11-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVDProfiler and Excel spreadsheet (this poll should really be multiple choice).
Old 06-11-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I used to use DVDProfiler (when it was free), switched to DVDaf (hated it), then siwtched to DVDSpot (used it 'til she died), Haven't been using anything since the Spot's demise.

Waiting patiently for the DVDTalk Cataloging system...
Old 06-11-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

DVDAF
A word doc
A written out list with title,run time,Number of Discs,and how much I paid for it
Old 06-11-09, 02:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dkedvd
That looks really nice dkedvd, I've been using Google docs since DVDSpot went away but I'd really like to do something like yours.
Old 06-11-09, 11:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tarantino, to update what I said earlier, they just released the Delicious Library App.
Old 06-11-09, 11:52 PM

DVD spot was amazing.....Im not really using one anymore
Old 06-13-09, 02:44 AM

none
Old 06-15-09, 06:59 AM

Use to use DVDTracker then DVDSpot. Now I do my own with my word processor. I list title, date released, date purchased, price, source, format and misc. (in case I sell one or update)
Old 06-15-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Af - no question.
Old 06-15-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DVD Profiler absolutely all the way.

Once in a while I export my collection and I have a spreadsheet that automatically VLOOKUPs the xml data that was exported and I can keep track of what titles I've watched/special features/etc... and create any unique stats I want to have without having to input the data manually (which I would absolutely never do.)
Old 06-15-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I use DVD Profiler (free version). I kept it loosely updated when I was using DVD Spot and luckily only had to add about a dozen titles or so.

Since I only have the free version, I pretty much enter the UPC and that's about it. With DVDSpot, I used to really play around with my collection.

I'd like to eventually get the $30 upgrade but I'm out of work and $30 is actually a lot of money right now.

I, too, was looking forward to a DVDTalk Cataloging system, but I've given up hope on that.
Old 06-16-09, 10:16 AM

I just LOVE using Listal. It's conveinent to use for everything - books, cds, dvds, and actual theatrical movie releases. Mostly I use it to keep track of the movies I've seen. I hope by the time I'm 30 I'll see at least 700 or 800 movies,...if not 1,000.

http://kristina.listal.com

Last edited by kristina; 06-16-09 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-17-09, 09:48 AM

DVDProfiler
Old 06-17-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDude!
In the past, I'd used DVD Profiler, but got away from it due to the box set issues they had. So I started simply maintaining my list in Excel. However, then I wanted to add into DVD Profiler, but discovered that it's a pain to enter by title. So I procrastinated for maybe two years.

Well, we're moving, so I spent a couple of days going through my entire collection and recording each and every UPC and then entering into DVD Profiler. And I finally paid to register it. It's a great app.
It can be a daunting task if you already have a collection and then start using a catalog program.

What boxset problem are you speaking of? The only issue I have seen is that with boxsets, it prompts me if I want to add profiles for each individual disc in the set. I usually hit "No" and just add the boxset as one item. I dont really buy boxsets of unrelated titles. Most of mine are series of movies, ala The Godfather Collection, or the Back to the Future series. Stuff that doesnt need individual disc entries.
Old 06-17-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
What boxset problem are you speaking of? The only issue I have seen is that with boxsets, it prompts me if I want to add profiles for each individual disc in the set. I usually hit "No" and just add the boxset as one item. I dont really buy boxsets of unrelated titles. Most of mine are series of movies, ala The Godfather Collection, or the Back to the Future series. Stuff that doesnt need individual disc entries.
For me, I keep track of titles I have watched, and I count my number of DVDs by number of titles, so it is a must for me to put individual titles for boxsets in Profiler. I also put the box sets in there (because that's what I purchased) so it messes up my numbering system a bit. When I export to excel, I have a column called "real numbering" so I don't count box sets, just the individual titles in them. Double features are the worst because they should count as two titles, but they are only on one DVD and you can't put the same DVD in there twice. One of my pet peeves.

I've tried not numbering box sets in DVDProfiler, but there was some nuance that didn't make that work for some reason. I can't remember the issue I had.
Old 06-17-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numes
For me, I keep track of titles I have watched, and I count my number of DVDs by number of titles, so it is a must for me to put individual titles for boxsets in Profiler. I also put the box sets in there (because that's what I purchased) so it messes up my numbering system a bit. When I export to excel, I have a column called "real numbering" so I don't count box sets, just the individual titles in them. Double features are the worst because they should count as two titles, but they are only on one DVD and you can't put the same DVD in there twice. One of my pet peeves.

I've tried not numbering box sets in DVDProfiler, but there was some nuance that didn't make that work for some reason. I can't remember the issue I had.
Interesting. I have never used Profiler to do what you do. In fact it never occurred to me to use it that way. For me, I am just concerned that "The Godfather Collection" shows up in my collection. I don't need parts 1, 2, and 3 to have seperate lines. I know jsut looking at the name, that it contains all three movies. But I dont log in profilerm what I have watched and what I havent. I watch everything before I put it on my shelf. Of course that emans that I ahve a pretty hefty stack of stuff that is in profiler, that is also in my unwatched pile.

When profiler first wanted to add the contents of a boxset, I did. Then my count got all fouled up. Personally I count a boxset as one. Thats the way I bought it. But I dont have many, possibly none, collections of non related movies. or the two movie son one disc deals. I tend to avoid those.
Old 06-17-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
For me, I keep track of titles I have watched, and I count my number of DVDs by number of titles, so it is a must for me to put individual titles for boxsets in Profiler.
Same here

I also put the box sets in there (because that's what I purchased) so it messes up my numbering system a bit. When I export to excel, I have a column called "real numbering" so I don't count box sets, just the individual titles in them.
My numbering isn't at all messed up. I number my boxsets, but don't number any of the profiles attached to the boxset. So I immediately know from looking at the largest Collection Number that I've purchased 843 items (movies, box sets, TV sets, etc).

As for counting the titles, I use Tags. I have a box set tag and every box set gets that tag checked. Then I open the filters window, go to tags and filter those out. Doing that I can see that I have 1238 titles (the Total DVDs field at the top of my list).

Works real well for my needs.

Double features are the worst because they should count as two titles, but they are only on one DVD and you can't put the same DVD in there twice. One of my pet peeves.
One of mine too. What I do is just create manual profiles for the individual movies and create a box set out of the main title. It's ugly and the manual profiles can't be contributed (meaning I have to manually enter every piece of data I'm interested in). But it does allow me to track when I've watched them, the running time, etc. I usually don't mess with cast/crew because it's just too much work for a manual title.

I've been complaining about the double feature issue forever and hope that someday there will be a way to handle these.
Old 06-27-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Thank you so much for starting this thread... I have been wondering if it was time to drop the excel spreadsheet (and text copy to pda) method for something better... By reading this thread, I have some more choices to consider... and even for CDs as well... again.... Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.