DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Watchmen DVD Some Details

Old 03-08-09, 04:27 AM

Watchmen DVD Some Details

Some watchmen dvd Releases And Possible Release Date

Sci-Fi Wire spoke to Zack and Deborah Snyder about some of the plans Warner Bros has for the many home-video releases of "Watchmen."

The theatrical version will run about 2 hours and 37 minutes, but that's only one version of the film. After that, a director's cut will hit stores, which will restore scenes cut from the theatrical release and will run about 3 hours and 10 minutes. "There's a lot more like just connective tissue," said Zack.

"The 3-hour director's-cut version ... will be released actually as the first release of the DVD, probably around Comic-Con of this year [in July]," Deborah added.

Next will come a Blu-ray release that will have a special feature in which Zack pops up in video boxes on demand during a scene to illustrate the behind-the-scenes process of making the shot. "It's like a director's commentary, but it's actually him, and there's all these, like, boxes, right?" Deborah said. "They'll play the movie, and he'll point to a scene, and then they'll deconstruct the scene on all these monitors behind him ... where you can see, you know, the green-screen version of it, or, ... if it's Dr. Manhattan, you can see some great effects."

Accompanying the March theatrical release is the DVD release of the companion animated movie "Tales of the Black Freighter," an adaptation of Watchmen's comic-within-a-comic.

Finally, in the fall will come the "ultimate Watchmen cut," which will interpolate the "Black Freighter" into the movie, much as the graphic novel incorporates it into the book's narrative, including special scenes shot to take viewers into the animation and out of it again. That version could run as long as 3 hours and 25 minutes, Zack said. "It's pretty ginormous," he added.

"[For] that version of the movie, ... when we were up there [in Vancouver], we physically shot the ins and outs scenes at the newsstand that go into the movie," Zack Snyder said. "There's ... scenes where our characters pass the newsstand, and then we pick up action at the newsstand that gets us into ... The Black Freighter. And then ... shots where you, like, go into it, and then it comes to life, and you start following the Black Freighter story. And then come back into the movie."

And after that? "I know that they're planning a lot of things," Deborah said. "I did see these, like, crazy Rorschach cases and Owl Ship cases that may come. I mean, it's kind of insane, some of the things."
Old 03-08-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Watchmen DVD Some Details

Which version will be the definitive version and is this going be like Blade Runner with multiple versions of the film?
Old 03-08-09, 09:06 AM
Banned

Well the ultimate version would the Ultimate Watchmen cut..with Tales of The Black Freighter included in the film, also including Hollis Mason's Under The Hood. This is the cut i'm going for personally, I hope the way they do those transitions into Black Freighter and Under The Hood are well made..cuz I think it'll be kinda jarring to see. Considering that Black Freighter is animation especially...
Old 03-08-09, 09:39 AM

Kill Bill has a long animated sequence in it. I think it could work very well.
Old 03-08-09, 11:57 AM
Banned

The DVD better have commentary and WB better not pull any Blu-ray exclusive shit.
Old 03-08-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it think it is pretty fair for them to disclose exactly when each cut will be out, so that fans are spared double dipping.
Old 03-08-09, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 View Post
The DVD better have commentary and WB better not pull any Blu-ray exclusive shit.
He just mentioned a blu-ray specific feature. You can't really do the pip feature on standard dvd, unless you provide two seperate encodes of the movie on the disc, which probably wouldn't fit anyways on the standard dvd.

Heck, blu-ray couldn't even do it at first, so with 300 they initially left that feature out of the blu-ray and only on the HD DVD.
Old 03-08-09, 12:52 PM
Banned

OK well besides the PIP feature (which i dont give two shits about) the Blu-ray better not feature any other unique and exclusive features.
Old 03-08-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How long is the Tales of the Black Freighter DVD by itself? Because I am confused...the director's cut will run 3 hours and ten minutes. With TOTBF incorporated into the movie that will only make it 3 hours and 25 minutes? So it's only 15 minutes long? I guess that's time time it would take to read an average EC comics story back in the day...but still...that just doesn't seem right.

Unless they are just incorporating the TOTBF footage into the theatrical cut and not the director's cut?
Old 03-08-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK well besides the PIP feature (which i dont give two shits about) the Blu-ray better not feature any other unique and exclusive features.
Knowing WB and what they have done with high profile releases before (such as Dark Knight) we better be prepared to be disappointed.
Old 03-08-09, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
How long is the Tales of the Black Freighter DVD by itself? Because I am confused...the director's cut will run 3 hours and ten minutes. With TOTBF incorporated into the movie that will only make it 3 hours and 25 minutes? So it's only 15 minutes long? I guess that's time time it would take to read an average EC comics story back in the day...but still...that just doesn't seem right.

Unless they are just incorporating the TOTBF footage into the theatrical cut and not the director's cut?
Tales from the Black freighter lasts only 26 or 28 minutes. Of course I'm sure some of that running time is probably end credits.
Old 03-08-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tales from the Black freighter lasts only 26 or 28 minutes. Of course I'm sure some of that running time is probably end credits.
I can't imagine the end credits are that long. It's not Lord of the Rings.

I read on another site not too long ago that it's 22 minutes, so I presume it's about the average length of an animated TV episode without commercials.

So that would put the running time of the director's cut with the animated movie at 3 hrs and 35 minutes, give or take. So something just isn't adding up right on those figures. Though it says "It could run as long as..." so it appears they don't fully know at this point exactly what the run time will be.

I am still waiting for the ultimate edition. I knew they were making that before the movie ever came out, and have been anticipating it ever since! It would be cool if they released the set in a Nite Owl ship case.
Old 03-08-09, 02:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i just wish they put the best, most complete version out first. then, i wouldn't have to wait to see, to get, and wouldn't have to bother with the upcoming BF release.
Old 03-08-09, 02:26 PM

I am kind of hoping the attempt a Blade Runner or Dawn of the Dead type set where each cut of the film is included in one set, making it definitive, but if they don't, I will just wait for the "ultimate cut" for everything re-instated.

The theatrical cut really just made me long for a version where everything is included since the beats of the narrative weren't really changed from the book.
Old 03-08-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just so everyone knows, while Tales of the Black Freighter will be spliced into the movie, Under the Hood will not.
Old 03-08-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
I can't imagine the end credits are that long. It's not Lord of the Rings.

I read on another site not too long ago that it's 22 minutes, so I presume it's about the average length of an animated TV episode without commercials.

So that would put the running time of the director's cut with the animated movie at 3 hrs and 35 minutes, give or take. So something just isn't adding up right on those figures. Though it says "It could run as long as..." so it appears they don't fully know at this point exactly what the run time will be.

I am still waiting for the ultimate edition. I knew they were making that before the movie ever came out, and have been anticipating it ever since! It would be cool if they released the set in a Nite Owl ship case.
There's no reason to have every minute of "Black Freighter" in the ultimate cut. That wouldn't even make sense. They will incorporate some of the animated episode into the film, just like the graphic novel. It will be cool if they have the entire thing on the DVD as a special feature though.
Old 03-08-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What if they do?

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 03-08-09 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-08-09, 03:57 PM

I Just hope wb doesn't screw us like they did with the dark knight, we some decent special feature's like 45 minutes behind the scene,the costumes and of course the commentary but since it is wb it seems a little to much to ask for. We can have hopes tho
Old 03-08-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some great news here, Can't wait.
Old 03-08-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really do not know what I thought about the film. All I know is that I really want to watch it again. Gonna have to go for the blu-ray.
Old 03-08-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so wait, are the DC and the theatrical cuts gonna be released at the same time? that part confused me. i know it says that the ultimate version is released in the fall, wonder if it be worth waiting, and maybe warner will pull a blade runner and have all 3 cuts on 3 dvds plus extras.
Old 03-08-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm guessing the following release pattern:
1-Disc Theatrical Cut
2/3-Disc Director's Cut

Later down the line
Collectors Edition with Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut, and Ultimate Cut (which is the Black Freighter spliced in the DC) The bulk of the extras will most likely appear on this edition as well.
Old 03-08-09, 07:06 PM

Unless there is a "Watchmen :Super Deluxe Cut With Giant Squid" version I won't be buying any of them.
Old 03-08-09, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Just so everyone knows, while Tales of the Black Freighter will be spliced into the movie, Under the Hood will not.
Snyder said somewhere that he filmed some parts for Under the Hood...why wouldn't it be included?
Old 03-08-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
Unless there is a "Watchmen :Super Deluxe Cut With Giant Squid" version I won't be buying any of them.
I believe Snyder confirmed the Directors Cut has the proper ending. It's my understanding the theatrical ending tested well with the general public compared to the comic ending and it was a studio decision, not Snyder's to make the change.

I'd say the proof lies in Bubastis making it into the theatrical cut; unless the comic ending was filmed in the first place, Bubastis makes no sense.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.