Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Watchmen DVD Some Details

holy smokes! im confused.
Old 03-08-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Snyder said somewhere that he filmed some parts for Under the Hood...why wouldn't it be included?
He did, and it will be included on the Tales of the Black Freighter DVD/Blu-ray, but from what I have read, Snyder has said that he will not edit Under the Hood into the movie like they are going to do with Black Freighter.

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I believe Snyder confirmed the Directors Cut has the proper ending. It's my understanding the theatrical ending tested well with the general public compared to the comic ending and it was a studio decision, not Snyder's to make the change.

I'd say the proof lies in Bubastis making it into the theatrical cut; unless the comic ending was filmed in the first place, Bubastis makes no sense.
Do not count on it. In fact, I have read interviews where he said they DID NOT FILM the Squid-Ending. So I highly doubt that will make it into the DVD/Blu-ray Release. I agree that without that ending Bubastis doesn't make much sense; I think she was just there for (no pun intended) the sake of Nostalgia. I would love to be proven wrong, but there is so much that has to be done to set up the Squid and so many background characters that have to be introduced. I have seen nothing to support any speculation that the Squid will make it into the DVD/Blu-ray release, and again, I believe Snyder has confirmed he didn't even film such an ending.

And in any event, the Squid isn't even integral to the story. The thematic ending of the Graphic Novel was preserved in the movie. The decision to remove the Squid was a smart one, because as I said above, it is just way too much to try and include in the movie and I guarantee reaction to that ending would be awful from non-fans.
Old 03-08-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
There's no reason to have every minute of "Black Freighter" in the ultimate cut. That wouldn't even make sense. They will incorporate some of the animated episode into the film, just like the graphic novel. It will be cool if they have the entire thing on the DVD as a special feature though.
Good point...I didn't consider that.
Old 03-09-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
What if they do?
Oh, come on, you know that it's just disheartening when they fuck over people who haven't made the switch yet.

I already have the motion comic. I will get the Tales of the Black Freighter DVD when it comes out, the director's cut, and then later down the line the uber edition of the movie. I figure I'm covered on Watchmen after that.
Old 03-09-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the extra bonus features on the blue ray are pure fluff I really won't care. If they put something substantial on there that I would be willing to pay for on regular DVD, then that would piss me off.

And I am holding off on buying the Black Freighter DVD for now. I just hope it doesn't suddenly go out of print right before the ultimate edition comes out to only find out the ultimate edition doesn't contain the full cut of the animated comic.
Old 03-09-09, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't heard of anything about them actually shooting the squid ending either.
Old 03-09-09, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I assume following the recent pattern of dvd releases the single disc or bare bones version will have better artwork than the 2 disc or ultimate editions.
Old 03-09-09, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I haven't heard of anything about them actually shooting the squid ending either.
Hurm. What I heard is they filmed enough shots and the effects were in rough cut but it tested poorly.
Old 03-09-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Well, that at least gives some hope it could show up in a rough form on a release.

I'll pick up the Black Freighter BD since Under the Hood won't be integrated back into the film, but I'm not certain it won't show up as a bonus feature on an Ultimate Edition down the road. I'll take the risk.
Old 03-09-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Well, at least they are giving folks a heads up that there will be multiple releases of this. I suspect that there are gonna be a lot of fanboys that buy all teh dvds though.
Old 03-09-09, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my dream set:

Disc 1: Theatrical Cut + Director's Cut (probably possible with seamless branching)
Discs 2 and 3 (assuming the ultimate cut has to be split onto two discs): Ultimate Cut with Black Freighter cut back into the film (along with Black Freighter feature as it will appear on the separate DVD release in March)
Disc 4 and 5: Complete Motion Comics

Bonus features:
-commentaries with Zack Snyder, Dave Gibbons, and the cast
-Under the Hood (as it will appear on the Black Freighter release
-My Chemical Romance- Desolation Row Music Video
-Video Journals
+ whatever featurettes or documentaries they want to produce
+ deleted scenes/ schematics for any scene from the comic (Squid) that didn't make the film but was started
Old 03-09-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

rmick - I would also hope that a super set would include the animated comic that was recently released. I'm not sure if I should pick that up now, or wait to see if it is part of some "everything" edition.
Old 03-09-09, 03:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ That's disc 4 and 5 in what he proposed.
Old 03-09-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I just don't know how well Black Freighter would work myself integrated in. Be interesting to see it but I'm more interested in just a plain director's cut. The pirate stuff was a storytelling device more suited to comics and commenting on the nature of the medium and isn't really something meant for film I'd think.
Old 03-09-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ That's disc 4 and 5 in what he proposed.
Didn't see that there earlier ... whoopsies!
Old 03-09-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I assume following the recent pattern of dvd releases the single disc or bare bones version will have better artwork than the 2 disc or ultimate editions.
Knowing WB, the two disc or ultimate edition will also contain a major spoiler, preferably something that reveals the new ending.
Old 03-09-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rmick
Here's my dream set:

Disc 1: Theatrical Cut + Director's Cut (probably possible with seamless branching)
Discs 2 and 3 (assuming the ultimate cut has to be split onto two discs): Ultimate Cut with Black Freighter cut back into the film (along with Black Freighter feature as it will appear on the separate DVD release in March)
Disc 4 and 5: Complete Motion Comics

Bonus features:
-commentaries with Zack Snyder, Dave Gibbons, and the cast
-Under the Hood (as it will appear on the Black Freighter release
-My Chemical Romance- Desolation Row Music Video
-Video Journals
+ whatever featurettes or documentaries they want to produce
+ deleted scenes/ schematics for any scene from the comic (Squid) that didn't make the film but was started
No commentary from Alan Moore=NO $ALE!
Old 03-10-09, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
No commentary from Alan Moore=NO $ALE!
Which would be fantastic. I bet it'd sound just like this...

Alan: "Hey guys I don't think this is the bloody WC. And it's all bloody dark in here. Can someone turn on the bloody lights already? Oh... never mind I hear bloody Dylan playing over this way so it must be the... wait... is that... nice costume choice... BLOODY HELL!!!"

And with that the giant squid finally appears for the prophecy of Alan-Moore-liking-a-single-thing-about-any-of-the-movie-versions-of-his-comics-and-thus bringing-death-to-all has come to pass.

Oh, and WC is British for bathroom and bloody is British for I think nouns or verbs.
Old 03-10-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can imagine them doing multiple slipcovers like with Sin City.
Old 03-10-09, 09:17 AM

I wonder if the ultimate edition later this year will be packaged like the Troy DC UE or a la 300 rectangular boxset. I hope it's like Troy, fits better on a shelf.
Old 03-10-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
OK well besides the PIP feature (which i dont give two shits about) the Blu-ray better not feature any other unique and exclusive features.

This is going to be the movie that I buy a Blue Ray player for. I feel you guy, but the studio could give two shits about us.
Old 03-10-09, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by madcougar

This is going to be the movie that I buy a Blue Ray player for. I feel you guy, but the studio could give two shits about us.
But the studio does care about this: $$$$$$
And thats why i wont give them any money if they pull any kinda shit with this release.
Or at least say I wont give them any money but then find it for like under $10 and decide to cave in...
But I'd only cave in if this release has commentary. If it doesnt I'll wait for a version that does have commentary.
Old 03-10-09, 03:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

that's why I feel shnuckered with the news that another version of '300' is in the works - when is Warners going to release that promised double dip disc?
Old 03-10-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
that's why I feel shnuckered with the news that another version of '300' is in the works - when is Warners going to release that promised double dip disc?

Probably when Watchmen hits DVD/Blu-Ray.
Old 03-11-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
But the studio does care about this: $$$$$$
And thats why i wont give them any money if they pull any kinda shit with this release.
Or at least say I wont give them any money but then find it for like under $10 and decide to cave in...
But I'd only cave in if this release has commentary. If it doesnt I'll wait for a version that does have commentary.
I'm with you brother, but we are apparantly in the minority if you read the majority of other posts. It seems that people will happily part with their money for double and triple dips.

I have stopped buying DVDs on opening week. I will wait a few months when they're six to ten dollars cheaper. I also don't buy anymore TV on DVD. I'll wait for the series to end to buy the super duper deluxe package with the extras for basically the same price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.