Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Dark Knight: 12-09-08 (Part Two)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would movie companies not sabatoge their DVD releases?
1. They know that people will double-dip, and even triple-dip with The Dark Knight - a film which is the highest reviewed, most-seen film in decades.
2. They put a couple more extras on the Blu Ray, but not on the 2-disk, which means they are holding out.
3. The Blu Ray itself doesn't have so many extras, so they are going to get people to double-dip on an ultimate version of the Blu Ray, which will have more extras.
4. The economy isn't doing that great, so it doesn't make sense for movie companies to release one good DVD/Blu Ray of a film, especially like a film like The Dark Knight. WB knows that they can ride consumer suckerism with this flick.
5. Even before The Dark Knight was filmed, do you think the filmmakers didn't know this was going to be huge? They must have Lord of the Rings Extended Version-type extras waiting in their storage room to be put on the Ultimate DVD/Blu Ray versions of The Dark Knight.
Old 12-10-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
AOTS rundown of the exclusives (Mostly-posted for the Olivia fanatics)
<object width="320" height="298" id="VideoPlayer"><param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/sv3/35398" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/sv3/35398" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="320" height="298" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>
Old 12-10-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That video is destroyed by the fact that Chris Gore is there. And he is a turd.

But Olivia, me likes.
Old 12-10-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't hurt to look at her at all.
Old 12-10-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Purposely putting out poor quality standard definition releases, in the hope of forcing consumers to upgrade to the more expensive high definition format. That would be an unfair business practice, and I am sure it's one that could be found guilty in a court of law.
I didn't realize there were regulated quality standards in the entertainment media industry.
Old 12-10-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Kory
I love the coin exclusive but it bums be out that "COPY" is imprinted on the backside. Makes it look a little cheesy. Good quality coin though.
Could you please close up pictures of the coin. especially the copy part of it.
Old 12-10-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm offended by the way he handles the DVDs.

And what, no steelbook love?
Old 12-10-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I was pretty skeptical that the transfer was as bad as everyone was making it out to be with the standard definition discs, but after viewing I have to agree. I haven't watched more than 15 minutes of the movie so far, but what is on the screen and coming through the speakers is atrocious. This is a new release movie with a huge budget, it should look great whether on a standard player or an upconvert player into a high-def tv (which is what i'm doing). But it doesn't, it is muddy and grainy. The dark scenes are too dark and overall its just a really sub-par job by Warner Bros.
Old 12-10-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, I've seen truly eye-popping HD stills from Blu-ray discs. So clear and razor sharp that the imagery came to life. The Dark Knight stills at DVDBeaver have no such quality. They're plagued with edge enhancement, and look murky.

Below is a still from DVDBeaver and a roughly corresponding screen capture from the HD trailer, resized to match the height of the Blu-ray image:

Blu-ray

HD trailer

--THX

Last edited by CertifiedTHX; 12-10-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm ignorant to all this, the ugly one is at the top?
Old 12-10-08, 07:57 PM

^Yes

Blu ray image on bottom. Dvd version is much, much uglier. I swear, I gotta upgrade to blu ray, but I still hate WB
Old 12-10-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
AOTS rundown of the exclusives (Mostly-posted for the Olivia fanatics)
<object width="320" height="298" id="VideoPlayer"><param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/sv3/35398" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/sv3/35398" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="320" height="298" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>
I like the point that the hostess brings up in the video. She asks the dude if we get to see a deleted scene of "Joker sloppily shooting the bazooka" as was shown in the trailer. I remember that scene was actually one of the best Joker scenes in the trailer but they didn't put it in the movie. And the dude has no idea what she is talking about....
Old 12-10-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
^Yes

Blu ray image on bottom. Dvd version is much, much uglier. I swear, I gotta upgrade to blu ray, but I still hate WB
Oops, I should have been clearer. The Blu-ray image is on top, the HD trailer on bottom. I'll edit the post to clarify.

--THX
Old 12-10-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Oops, I should have been clearer. The Blu-ray image is on top, the HD trailer on bottom. I'll edit the post to clarify.

--THX
That's can't be a bad transfer/compression can it? It looks more like post editing. The colors are so off it seems like more of an artistic style change.
Old 12-10-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX

--THX
Okay, now you've confused me. The top image is from the Blu-Ray?

So, you are saying the HD trailer looks better than the Blu-Ray?
Old 12-10-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's exactly what he's saying.
Old 12-10-08, 08:59 PM

this post is for those who have got the batpod limited edition. is the case holding the discs pretty sturdy? and is it removable? better yet, do you have any close up pics of it? i'm a sucker for limited editions but an extra $20+ seems like a lot for a toy. i'm trying to decide between the batpod edition versus a best buy mask edition.
Old 12-10-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
My own little story: I was browsing at Target today and this lady was looking at The Dark Knight DVD section for a few minutes. When I walked by she stopped me and asked about the widescreen or full screen. Thankfully she had an understanding about aspect ratios and I suggested that even though she currently didn't have a widescreen TV that she should go ahead and get the Widescreen Edition rather than Full Screen (she even understood that with the full frame one you lose picture).

My faith in human-movie-watching-kind has been restored.
Old 12-10-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
That's exactly what he's saying.
And I respectfully disagree. There's far more detail in the darker image. You can see the individual stones in the building in the background. In the HD trailer version, the detail is washed out because it's too bright.
Old 12-10-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by nightw1ng
this post is for those who have got the batpod limited edition. is the case holding the discs pretty sturdy? and is it removable? better yet, do you have any close up pics of it? i'm a sucker for limited editions but an extra $20+ seems like a lot for a toy. i'm trying to decide between the batpod edition versus a best buy mask edition.
Yes the case is sturdy and it is removable from the base of the stand. Is it worth an extra $20, well that's for you to decide, but I'm happy with it displayed on my shelf.

I will tell you this though, I was expecting more from it after I saw it in person. The Best Buy ad made it look pretty badass.
Old 12-10-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a pretty big difference. Anywhere I can find a SD v. BD comparison?
Old 12-10-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
And I respectfully disagree. There's far more detail in the darker image. You can see the individual stones in the building in the background. In the HD trailer version, the detail is washed out because it's too bright.
Yup, never could understand why people prefered the apple trailer image over the Christopher Nolan approved transfer for the movie.
Old 12-11-08, 12:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah let's see the SD vs. BD...I'm scared of this one...the horror...the horror!
Old 12-11-08, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I did get a reply from Bill Hunt today regarding the SD transfer and possibly Warner sabotage:

I don't think it's intentional - dark films with lots of action are
notoriously difficult to compress. But I can understand that it's
frustrating. It's one of the reasons we DO recommend upgrading to Blu-ray as
it become more affordable. It's hard to overstate the dramatic impact of
high-definition on home movie viewing.

I don't agree with him one bit, since TDK is not the first very dark film to hit SD-DVD. I still feel Fight Club, is one of the most technically impressive DVDs to hit the format and that is one dark film; it was also put on DVD 8 years ago.

Also, Batman Begins had many a dark scene, yet Warner managed to get that on DVD looking great.

I definitely am thinking of jumping to Blu-Ray earlier than anticipated, despite the fact it will eliminate my ability to share any future titles in my collection with friends and family, since they don't understand Blu-Ray and don't have the money to make the switch, if this is going to be the new standard for SD DVD.
Old 12-11-08, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Yes the case is sturdy and it is removable from the base of the stand. Is it worth an extra $20, well that's for you to decide, but I'm happy with it displayed on my shelf.

I will tell you this though, I was expecting more from it after I saw it in person. The Best Buy ad made it look pretty badass.
thanks for the reply

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.