Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Dark Knight: 12-09-08 (Part Two)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkPhantom13
Does anybody know if the Best Buy exclusive Joker card is packaged inside the case? I asked some of the employees and they told me it was inside but im hesitant to open up the case in the chance that they didn't know wtf they were talking about (which happens alot i might add).
I don't know about other Best Buy stores, but at the one I frequent, I was told I would get the Joker card from the cashier when I paid for the movie. They weren't giving it away at the Dark Knight stands because they thought customers might take more than their due.

Well, I went to pay, asked for the card, and the cashier said they had been gone since an hour after opening. So much for that.

--THX
Old 12-09-08, 08:40 PM

i checked my batpod and. . .no card. i did find a card in my cc exclusive journal. does anyone know if this is the same as the best buy card or are the bb and cc cards different?
Old 12-09-08, 08:43 PM

I cackled at whoever said the woman's son who's a "film buff" is probably 5.

Also, that's the best "homemade" Joker makeup job I've seen, Tarantino! Fantabulous wardrobe too.

My Walmart exclusive DVD arrived about 90 minutes ago. Two-Face is my favorite Batman villain so I just had to have the coin replica, which does not disappoint! The included comic book has the origins of Joker and Two-Face.

I went with the single-disc DVD not only because of those collectibles but because, let's face it, the extras on disc two and even on Blu-ray suck ass. I couldn't wait to see behind-the-scenes footage, featurettes, tributes, etc., to Heath Ledger and good stuff like disc two of Batman Begins. I'd be disgusted with the lack of special features if the movie itself wasn't worth the price alone.
Old 12-09-08, 08:47 PM

Oh, I almost forgot: some of those posters posted earlier made my heart flutter with excitement!

I bought this one a few years ago (and the Why So Serious? one-sheet after the midnight showing):

Old 12-09-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Upon looking around at various stores today, I've noticed that the Bat-pod BD may not be as rare as I thought. I just may be able to grab it down the road. Besides that, I couldnt be happier with the release day.

It really is a great film, and deserves the attention and hype surrounding it. Can't wait for the first double-dip!
Old 12-09-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey guys, regarding the BestBuy bust sets, do you prefer the iconic cowl of the Batman or the enigmatic, eerie-looking Clown mask? i bought one of each, but have to give one away, and i'm torn between the two. some opinions, please!
Old 12-09-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love the Steelbook but the video quality on the DVD is pretty lame. Guess its gonna force me to bluray sooner than later if this keeps up in future dvds.
Old 12-09-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by darmok
hey guys, regarding the BestBuy bust sets, do you prefer the iconic cowl of the Batman or the enigmatic, eerie-looking Clown mask? i bought one of each, but have to give one away, and i'm torn between the two. some opinions, please!
I was going to buy the Batman mask, but it looked really stupid in my opinion. I know it's a mask and all, but it looks like Batman is shouting out "Boo!" while at the same time seeing a ghost in front of him.

I'm really surprised to find out that chrisbluedevil's version did not have a card, while mine did. Strange.

My Best Buy had what looked like 10 total Joker/Batman figures, and I was there at 9:15am. Much smaller then what the ad makes them out to be.
Old 12-09-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Love the Steelbook but the video quality on the DVD is pretty lame. Guess its gonna force me to bluray sooner than later if this keeps up in future dvds.
There was a thread not too long ago about this very issue, I remember Harry Potter being brought up. I too have noticed this on various DVDs, though I don't have Dark Knight on DVD to see what you mean.
Old 12-09-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Upon looking around at various stores today, I've noticed that the Bat-pod BD may not be as rare as I thought. I just may be able to grab it down the road. Besides that, I couldnt be happier with the release day.

It really is a great film, and deserves the attention and hype surrounding it. Can't wait for the first double-dip!
Different story in most stores in Los Angeles... Looks like most were looking for the BadPod Blu Ray
Old 12-09-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tarantino, excellent work on the make-up, and double points for putting just as much effort into the outfit.
Old 12-09-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts
Excellent job on the costume Tarantino. Very good job and admirable for putting so much effort into your job.

As for the DVD itself I'm a bit disappointed. The animations and just the whole setup isn't that great let alone the features themselves are really lacking. The iron man dvd had really cool animatics and just looked like they put so much more effort into it. Plus the steelbook looked cooler and there were a ton of features.
Old 12-09-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
There was a thread not too long ago about this very issue, I remember Harry Potter being brought up. I too have noticed this on various DVDs, though I don't have Dark Knight on DVD to see what you mean.
I truly believe Warner Bros. is purposely doing poor transfers of their bigger titles. The Harry Potter movies, particularly the last two or three come to mind. The worst one I have seen, though, belongs to Superman Returns. I could not believe how bad that film looked on DVD, and I truly can't watch it because of the poor transfer. It's shocking how bad that movie looks on DVD! Luckily, I've just purchased a Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray player, and have Superman Returns coming to me as part of the order. I can't wait to see the difference between the DVD and Blu-Ray.

I can't believe that a Class Action lawsuit hasn't been brought against Warner Bros. because of this issue. It's quite apparent what they are doing, trying to force consumers to move to Blu-Ray, by offering an inferior transfer on the DVD.
Old 12-09-08, 10:22 PM

Walmart Exclusive Giftset

T.W.E.C. DVD Steelbook Exclusive

Circuit City Exclusive Slipcase with Journal

Target Bluray Mask Packaging

Bluray Exclusive Batpod

Bestbuy Exclusive Bluray Batcowl Limited Edition

Bestbuy Exclusive Bluray Clown Mask Limited Edition

My Dark Knight Collection

*In transit - Dark Knight Bluray Steelbook
Old 12-09-08, 10:37 PM

I pre-ordered the steelbook, then cancelled it to opt for the Circuit City version. After buying it, I realize that the slipcover is way too big and is pretty pointless, and I've absolutely zero use for a journal (I guess I assumed it was a production journal, not dear diary). I'll return it to circuit city once my re-ordered steelbook arrives in the mail.
Old 12-09-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You didn't pick up the Joker Blu-Ray at Walmart? I liked this one the most, although I did get the DVD/comic/coin combo too.

If the pics disappear they are located here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=49164

I haven't seen pics of it here yet unless I've missed it somewhere in the pages of pages of discussion. The backside is actually even more "vandalized" than in the pic.

Last edited by Roybq; 12-09-08 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anybody post some full-size screenshots from the SD-DVD? I wanted to see how mediocre the transfer was.
Old 12-09-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting for someone to get this release for me for Christmas because I really need to be saving money right now.

I want to go to Wal-Mart right now and get the version with the coin.

Man this wait is gonna kill me. Just knowing that it's sitting on stores shelves right now...
Old 12-09-08, 11:05 PM

is it worth paying the $2 for the digital copy? how does this work before i go forward with this?
Old 12-10-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PJsig08
is it worth paying the $2 for the digital copy? how does this work before i go forward with this?
You will get a DVD with a code to unlock a version of the movie to play on your computer, usually on iTunes or Windows Media Player. AFAIK, the disc can only be unlocked once.

I find them pretty pointless myself, but if this interests you, for $2, why not?
Old 12-10-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's useful to me, because I bought the Blu-Ray version. If I had bought the normal version, it would be easy to rip to the iPhone, but the Blu version would not be possible.

Thanks for the comments on the costume!

= J
Old 12-10-08, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
It's a print out that comes out with the receipt.
In store receipt? Would if you ordered it online, do you still get a rebate?

Last edited by dEEahn20; 12-10-08 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-10-08, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Picked up the 2-disc version from Best Buy today (I had $25 in GC's) so that was a plus. I also picked up a Widescreen single disc to give as a X-Mas gift to one of my friends. I know pretty much most of my friends who watch movies on DVD don't give a crap about extras.

Now I'm debating whether or not to pick up the Batman mask at Target. So, there is a bonus disc with that set?
Old 12-10-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
...I stopped by Blockbuster Video and grabbed a Joker bobblehead which I think is cooler than the dinky figurine Best Buy had.
a couple of pics of this would be highly appreciated! and is that one of them "wacky wobblers" made by funko?

Last edited by hindolio; 12-10-08 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-10-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by septimus
I see people posting about a rebate with the FYE steelbook. Is this something that's attached to the actual DVD? I don't have an FYE nearby and am wondering if I'll still be able to get the rebate if I order the steelbook online.
from my knowledge, fye b&m and in-store work a little differently in terms of mail-in-rebates. for example, sometimes theres a mir in-store, but not on-line and vice-versa. if available online, it would state and have a link to a pdf on the product page. if available in-store, it would print out automatically with receipt.

unfortunately, it seems the online steelbook page does not have a mir listed right now. so you may be outta luck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.