DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Original My Bloody Valentine gets a SE

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Original My Bloody Valentine gets a SE

Originally Posted by SPRBD
Running up to someone and yelling in their face them is a tad more excessive then "defending" yourself. And, while he didn't mean to start a fight, he could have quite easily, especially if the other clerk felt as threatened as it sounded like he did.
Something tells me he's probably exaggerating a bit for dramatic storytelling purposes. If he indeed yelled at the top of his lungs and got an inch from his face, then that's a bit excessive. But, that clerk needed to know what he did was completely unprofessional in a customer service situation. I would've told the clerk the same thing if he had called me stupid, and I've never been in a fight in my life. Either way, I found the story very entertaining.
Old 01-15-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

For anyone interested, this month's issue of Rue Morgue has a cover feature on the original and 3-D remake of My Bloody Valentine.

Solid interview with George Mihalka.
Old 01-15-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRBD
Running up to someone and yelling in their face them is a tad more excessive then "defending" yourself. And, while he didn't mean to start a fight, he could have quite easily, especially if the other clerk felt as threatened as it sounded like he did.
Where in the hell does it say I ran at the guy. By yelled I ment raise my voice. And as far as anger management goes.... dude please, you have no clue. I might not take shit from anybody but I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder. I gave the guy a piece of my mind. I didn't get him in trouble, I don't got time for shit like that. Maybe you have had a past experience where someone can at you and you didn't know what to do with yourself. Well at least this guy took it like a man and apologized the next time I walked in.
Old 01-15-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW sorry OP back on topic
Old 01-15-09, 03:29 PM

I just got my copy in the mail today and OMG I soooooo love it! It's freakin' awesome and more satisfying and enjoyable getting to see it the way it was MEANT to be seen! Just the uncut version of the movie alone is well worth the cash you have to spend for it! Yes the special features are great as well especially the interviews with the cast & crew..I LOVE IT! The Slipcover is really awesome as well and defenitly matches the theme of the movie. All I can say is that I am really thrilled to have the movie the way it should have been all along. I will never be watching the theatrical version again! I admit you can see the quality difference when it goes into the uncut scenes but after a while of watching it you will get used to it and plus the quality isnt that bad at all. Last word on the matter...GET IT NOW if you haven't yet!
Old 01-15-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hotsexyboi
I just got my copy in the mail today and OMG I soooooo love it! It's freakin' awesome and more satisfying and enjoyable getting to see it the way it was MEANT to be seen! Just the uncut version of the movie alone is well worth the cash you have to spend for it! Yes the special features are great as well especially the interviews with the cast & crew..I LOVE IT! The Slipcover is really awesome as well and defenitly matches the theme of the movie. All I can say is that I am really thrilled to have the movie the way it should have been all along. I will never be watching the theatrical version again! I admit you can see the quality difference when it goes into the uncut scenes but after a while of watching it you will get used to it and plus the quality isnt that bad at all. Last word on the matter...GET IT NOW if you haven't yet!
I couldn't agree more. Normally, I'll either buy a DVD on sale or wait a while for the price drop, but I had to have this ASAP. I picked it up at Walmart for $13 today. It is so important that horror fans, and film fans in general support the efforts of the people who got this released in its uncut form. If this does well, there may be hope that one day we'll be watching the Friday the 13th Pt 2 uncut version. How sweet would that be?
Old 01-15-09, 09:13 PM

Picked this up Tuesday. It was an awesome DVD. Worth the wait for sure.
Old 01-16-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked this up at walmart for $12.50 (using my brother's discount card)
Old 01-16-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchur317
Picked this up at walmart for $12.50 (using my brother's discount card)
Having someone with a discount card to wally world is soooo good.
Old 01-16-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

This may have been mentioned, but in case anyone wants to save a few cents, I saw the new SE for $12.88 at Sam's Club. This of course assumes you have a SC near you and have a membership as well.
Old 01-16-09, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Where in the hell does it say I ran at the guy. By yelled I ment raise my voice. And as far as anger management goes.... dude please, you have no clue. I might not take shit from anybody but I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder. I gave the guy a piece of my mind. I didn't get him in trouble, I don't got time for shit like that. Maybe you have had a past experience where someone can at you and you didn't know what to do with yourself. Well at least this guy took it like a man and apologized the next time I walked in.
Where does it say?

"Well I rushed right over, I was pissed and I yelled "What? I'm Stupid!" I think he thought I was gonna hit him caused he backed peddled quickly. I got right in his face and explained the history."

If it quacks like a duck...

I'm sure he did apologize the next time he saw you. He probably thought you were a psycho.

Fear taking it like a man
Old 01-17-09, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Well, I blind bought this earlier in the week and finished watching it today.

Honestly, I liked the movie, but I think this is one-time viewing only. I don't think there was really anything memorable about it that would make me want to sit through it again and it's really dated now.

I did like the documentary about the history of the slasher film and the interviews from the cast and crew of the old movie and current remake.

I did like the new scenes re-inserted back into the movie. I think 28 years ago, those scenes would have been a little rough for audiences back then, so I understand why they were removed. My favorite was definitely the blonde in the white bra with the heart on her breast getting killed by the miner.

I do have to say that alot of the young actresses in that film 28 years ago were smoking hot!! Lori Hallier (Sarah) and Cynthia Dale (Patty) come to mind.
Old 01-17-09, 08:30 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

is this one better than "Silent Night, Deadly Night"? i blind bought that and it just didn't do it for me. i don't want to do that again with another 80's Jason/Michael/etc wannabe. thanks.
Old 01-17-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say it better than SN, DN but I'm sure there are others who would disagree with me. I don't think you can go wrong blind buying MBV if you're into low-budget, semi-memorable slashers from the 80's. I'm a huge 80's horror fan, so films like this are a no-brainer for me. If that's not exactly your thing then I'd suggest a rental.
Old 01-17-09, 10:29 AM

Yeah it's alot better than Silent Night, Deadly Night....
Old 01-17-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

My Bloody Valentine is definitely better than Silent Night, Deadly Night.

MBV isn't a great movie by any stretch, but it's a competently crafted 80s-era slasher movie. About at the level of Halloween 2 and the Friday 13th movies.

SNDN is just a lousy movie with a provocative gimmick that was fortunate enough to freak out Mickey Rooney and bunch of PTA busybodies.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-17-09 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 07:52 AM

Got this yesterday (couldn't find it anywhere besides Borders, had to drop 20 for it...) but I liked it quite a bit. The deleted scenes really weren't that bad either!
Old 01-19-09, 04:41 PM

It's only $10.12 at Deep Discount with their new Lions Gate sale....
Old 01-19-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

$20 is a little steep for a 28 year old movie that I think is only good for maybe 1-2 viewings tops. I only paid $9 using a Reward Zone coupon at Best Buy.
Old 01-19-09, 05:06 PM

I gladly pay $20 for it if that was the lowest retail price,it's worth it....
I could watch it every other week atleast,it's one of the best slashers ever made....
Old 01-19-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love this slasher, finally getting around to watching the uncut version right now!
Old 01-19-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The extended scenes didn't look bad at all. There was a definate shift in quality but nothing that would distract the viewer. Very happy with this release.
Old 01-19-09, 10:53 PM

Glad you enjoyed it alot like alot of us have, Seth! And your right it doesnt really distract ya when it shifts to the uncut scenes...you can tell it though thats for sure but with some like the shower scene with Sylvia, you can't really see the quality difference there which I might add that is alot better getting to see her death in tact and not cut!
Old 01-20-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hotsexyboi
Glad you enjoyed it alot like alot of us have, Seth! And your right it doesnt really distract ya when it shifts to the uncut scenes...you can tell it though thats for sure but with some like the shower scene with Sylvia, you can't really see the quality difference there which I might add that is alot better getting to see her death in tact and not cut!
The shower death scene is finally as good as it should have been! Also the extended laundromat scene was great.
Old 01-20-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finally got a chance to watch the SE last night. The theatrical print looks great (IMO) and the added gore footage definitely does not distract from the film.

Was anyone else disappointed by the documentary? It was great for about 10 minutes and the last half focused on cast/crew interviews on MBV 3-D.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.