Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Original My Bloody Valentine gets a SE

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Original My Bloody Valentine gets a SE

I should have mine tomorrow as I ordered it online because you can NEVER count on retarded wal-marts around here to have it. There are like 4 wal-marts near me and none of them have it and to beat it all they are all Supercenters. Anyways can't wait to get mine!
Old 01-13-09, 06:45 PM

Lions Gate was really clever with this DVD release by not making it so clear on the DVD cover that it's the original 1981 film. I bet they will sell a ton of copies this week to a lot of clueless people who think it's the new film that they have seen promoted on billboards all over town and lots of tv-commercials. LG even used the same red-colored art motif for the DVD as the new 3-D remake's poster art. Hey, it's all good if a remake can make some good money for the original - even by accident - and we can all benefit from the stupidity of the general public who thinks a DVD comes out at the same time as the theatrical.

Even the clerk who checked me out at BB this morning looked at the DVD and said, "Isn't this movie in theaters right now?" I tried to educate him, saying this was the 1981 original film, uncut for the first time in decades, and the commercials and ads he's been seeing is for a 3-D remake, but since he was probably not even born yet in 1981, all I saw were glazed clueless eyes.

In any event, this new DVD of the 1981 original is an historical event for slasher-horror fans. Paramount couldn't get it right for almost 30 years, but Lions Gate came in and immediately gave fans what they always wanted for 3 decades. If it weren't for the remake, I doubt any of this would have ever happened and the cut footage would probably remain lost forever.

Last edited by man*machine; 01-13-09 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 06:58 PM

Got it at Best Buy after the customer service rep took 15+ minutes to find it. It wasn't on the new DVD not horror section. It was sitting on one of the carts in the middle of the "Drama" aisle. This BB only received three copies. Really looking forward to watching it tonight, and then watching the remake in 3D this weekend.
Old 01-13-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Got the last copy of the film at my local Best Buy. Props to Paramount for putting out this release because they gave the film more love than I expected it to get.

Originally Posted by man*machine
Even the clerk who checked me out at BB this morning looked at the DVD and said, "Isn't this movie in theaters right now?" I tried to educate him, saying this was the 1981 original film, uncut for the first time in decades, and the commercials and ads he's been seeing is for a 3-D remake, but since he was probably not even born yet in 1981, all I saw were glazed clueless eyes.
Not to go off-topic, but that exactly is one of the reasons I hate working retail. Who cares if he knows if it's the original or not, maybe by letting him know (nicely) that the 3-D version is a remake, he might check out the original. Also why bother to educate the world on your purchases. If the store I go to has the product I want, available to me without any effort with a good price, I'm set.

Sorry but you came off like an elitist with that little speech.
Old 01-13-09, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Not to go off-topic, but that exactly is one of the reasons I hate working retail. Who cares if he knows if it's the original or not, maybe by letting him know (nicely) that the 3-D version is a remake, he might check out the original. Also why bother to educate the world on your purchases. If the store I go to has the product I want, available to me without any effort with a good price, I'm set.

Sorry but you came off like an elitist with that little speech.
You are incorrect. I was very nice when I told him it was a 1981 film and the one he thought it was was a current remake. He actually started the conversation, looking at the case profusely and saying "isn't this already in theaters?" - otherwise I wouldn't have said anything. He was a nice guy, so I was trying to be helpful and let him know it was a 1981 film and it just got remade. I even told him that it was the first time the original version was uncut because it had been cut 25 years ago to get an R rating and a lot of people may be buying it today because of that. The employee seemed somewhat intrigued and interested by it all, but I seriously doubt I could ever convince him to watch a film made before he was born. He seemed to lose interest as I swiped my credit card, but so what. I was absolutely never rude to him so the elitist comment is completely uncalled for.

If it helps any, the guy that regularly stocks the new releases at the local West Hollywood BB was right there at opening when I showed up and he knew exactly where the MBV discs were (they hadn't been put out yet). He knew exactly what the film was and said, "These are going to go fast today." So, it's not a retail worker issue at all. I think it's more of just a generation issue, and I don't think a lot of the younger generation (not all, though) really cares that much about older movies and stuff. I don't care or know anything at all about videogames and all that stuff, so I guess it works both ways.

Last edited by man*machine; 01-13-09 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Picked up the last copy at my BB today. Watched it. Lost footage is awesome, lotsof great gags. I wish the extras were a bit meatier (why no commentary?), but the lack of any real features is easily erased by the presence of the uncut version.
Old 01-14-09, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I picked this up today as well. My local Best Buy only had like 3 copies and I had to inquire with a clerk about it since it wasn't put on the shelf yet......It was still in the boxes of new releases.

Funny you all mention the re-make. I initially asked the clerk where it was and he said they don't have it yet since it's still in theatres.
Old 01-14-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was bored last night so I went to blockbuster to see if there was anything that peaked my interest. Well started looking for MBV but I figured they wouldn't have it. Netflix doesn't have the new one either. SO I ask the clerk about the movie and he brushed me off like I am stupid and tells me it hits the theaters on Friday. I don't bother and keep looking around and I hear him bitching to a co-worker about how customers are dumb thinking movies hit the theaters and rentals at the same time. Well I rushed right over, I was pissed and I yelled "What? I'm Stupid!" I think he thought I was gonna hit him caused he backed peddled quickly. I got right in his face and explained the history. I kinda felt bad afterwards. He was in his 20's was a bit nervous and none of his co-workers did a thing. I usually don't correct ppl but when they are bitching think the customers are dumb that pisses me off. Specially when they don't know what they are talking about... Rant is over.
Old 01-14-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Props to Paramount for putting out this release because they gave the film more love than I expected it to get.
Paramount had nothing to do with this release....
They sold the rights to Lions Gate so they released it....
Old 01-14-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I yelled "What? I'm Stupid!"
I'm sorry, Larry, but I laughed when I read this part. Shouldn't this have been, "What? I'm stupid?"
Old 01-14-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My BB only had like 4-5 copies on the cart when they opened at 10. Watched it yesterday and the new footage is definintely noticable but great to have. Does anyone elses BB not put out the new releases on teh shelves at 10 am but rather have them on carts or boxes!? Shouldnt that have been done by the time they open? BB never seems to have it done before opening anymore.
Old 01-14-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I'm sorry, Larry, but I laughed when I read this part. Shouldn't this have been, "What? I'm stupid?"
No I was confirming it. But yes you are right. I guess I am stupid
Old 01-14-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Had to go to 2 wal-marts to get it. My closest one has a small electronics dept and didn't have it. A more normal sized wal mart had 3 copies.
Old 01-14-09, 10:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
My BB only had like 4-5 copies on the cart when they opened at 10. Watched it yesterday and the new footage is definintely noticable but great to have. Does anyone elses BB not put out the new releases on teh shelves at 10 am but rather have them on carts or boxes!? Shouldnt that have been done by the time they open? BB never seems to have it done before opening anymore.
for awhile the new release lady always put the new releases during the prime time lunch hour (the manueving around her was beyond annoying), yesterday they were all out. beforehand... maybe someone complained

When I worked retail (not at Best Buy), I got there thirty minutes before opening and after some vacuming, immediately started to put out the new releases, so they'd be out for the 10am arrivees - I loved that job, the pay was shit though.
Old 01-14-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchur317
Paramount had nothing to do with this release....
They sold the rights to Lions Gate so they released it....
My bad. I got confused with both studio names being on the release and I knew that Paramount put out the original release. Alright, so Lions Gate gave his movie more love than it should have had. So props to them!

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Does anyone elses BB not put out the new releases on teh shelves at 10 am but rather have them on carts or boxes!? Shouldnt that have been done by the time they open? BB never seems to have it done before opening anymore.
I have two Best Buy's in my area (one big stores and a new/smaller store) and both are notorious for that. Both are also notorious for not putting out a lot of the items that are on sale outside of new releases. Gets kind of ridiculous being told they are totally sold out one day and coming back hours later to see 20-30 copies of said item out.

Not sure if Best Buy works the same way, but when I was an Inventory Supervisor at Borders, my inventory team came in at 6am to get all the new books/DVD's/CD's out. All new releases were also prepared a week before (or when they arrived), so that when it was release day they would be the first thing to go out 3 hours before the store opened. I've only worked in two different retail stores, but I'm always curious how stores like Best Buy do merchandising/inventory.
Old 01-14-09, 09:39 PM

Does anyone have any screencaps of the DVD menus for this release? I ordered mine online but still haven't received it yet and am anxious to see what the menu's look like..hehe!
Old 01-14-09, 10:45 PM

Well I rushed right over, I was pissed and I yelled "What? I'm Stupid!" I think he thought I was gonna hit him caused he backed peddled quickly.
Not stupid... but maybe in need of some anger management.

Why would you care what some snot-nosed kid thinks of you? And to almost start a fight over it? In the middle of a store?

Dude....
Old 01-15-09, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotsexyboi
Does anyone have any screencaps of the DVD menus for this release? I ordered mine online but still haven't received it yet and am anxious to see what the menu's look like..hehe!
Here's a few:

Old 01-15-09, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Here's a few:

Thanks soooo much! I LOVE the scene selection menu..that is freakin' neat!
Old 01-15-09, 09:27 AM

now having seen the notorious head to the waterpipe scene in all it's gory incarnation - how the hell did they seriousily think it wouldn't go by the MPAA unscathed - it's by far more vicious and coherent than the badly edited R-rated cut. Also, the death of Happy is very "Fulci"
Old 01-15-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was bored last night so I went to blockbuster to see if there was anything that peaked my interest. Well started looking for MBV but I figured they wouldn't have it. Netflix doesn't have the new one either. SO I ask the clerk about the movie and he brushed me off like I am stupid and tells me it hits the theaters on Friday. I don't bother and keep looking around and I hear him bitching to a co-worker about how customers are dumb thinking movies hit the theaters and rentals at the same time. Well I rushed right over, I was pissed and I yelled "What? I'm Stupid!" I think he thought I was gonna hit him caused he backed peddled quickly. I got right in his face and explained the history. I kinda felt bad afterwards. He was in his 20's was a bit nervous and none of his co-workers did a thing. I usually don't correct ppl but when they are bitching think the customers are dumb that pisses me off. Specially when they don't know what they are talking about... Rant is over.
Great rant. Way to go.

I wouldn't feel bad about it. You weren't trying to start a fight, like SPRBD mentioned, you were just defending yourself, a CUSTOMER, to an EMPLOYEE. That isn't how customers should be treated, especially if you haven't done anything wrong. If that clerk wants to bitch about customers, he should be mindful of them hearing him, and at the very least, know what the fuck he's talking about. That guy should be reported to a manager and rightfully reprimanded. It's not like you were a smartass to the guy when he gave you the "it's a new movie" line, you ignored him. It was his insult to you that caused you to react, and rightfully so.
Old 01-15-09, 10:20 AM

I would have been like 'dude the new movie is a remake of a 1981 movie of the same name - douche!'

no but seriousily, now a days these folk who work in retail (the big chains) are so dumb when it comes to music and movies, overall.
Old 01-15-09, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Here's a few:

Looks amazing,I will be picking this up Friday....
Old 01-15-09, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy
I wouldn't feel bad about it. You weren't trying to start a fight, like SPRBD mentioned, you were just defending yourself, a CUSTOMER, to an EMPLOYEE.
Running up to someone and yelling in their face them is a tad more excessive then "defending" yourself. And, while he didn't mean to start a fight, he could have quite easily, especially if the other clerk felt as threatened as it sounded like he did.
Old 01-15-09, 12:58 PM

Rant is over.
I would have done the same thing....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.