DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Vertigo Universal Legacy Series: 10/7/08

Old 10-08-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 View Post
Masterpiece is the top, Legacy is the bottom.
Gotcha!

I figured that someone might just look at the posted images file names so I reversed them. Legacy is on the top, Masterpiece is on the bottom. I do think the Legacy image looks slightly better (as does Gary over at DVDBeaver) but it certainly is marginal.

To be fair, Gary does a comparison on the Rear Window DVDs and the difference between the 2005 and the 2008 DVD releases is more apparent. So, if someone were a few years from going Blu-Ray and loves the film, Rear Window Legacy is more attractive bait from the studio than Vertigo.

Below is what Glenn Erickson (DVD Savant) wrote in 2005 about the Rear Window/Masterpiece releases:

Originally Posted by DVD Savant
The word on the street for this box set is excitement tainted with a little bit of consumer exasperation. Many ardent Hitchcock addicts were keen for better reissues of Vertigo and Psycho but have expressed dismay at learning that to get them they have to plunk down a discounted $85 or $90 and double up on titles they already have. That's the entire point of marketing, of course; it's been five years since the last Hitchcock dip, and now Universal is savoring a last bath in the golden DVD pool before HD comes -- when they'll presumably be able to trot out the same treasures in High Definition.
So, three years ago, Glenn thought Universal was making their last gasp for SD format money (as did I). We both underestimated their greed.
Old 10-10-08, 12:02 PM

According to Colin Jacobson over at dvdmg.com and now supported by an email posted on the DVDbeaver review, the original mono track is not included on this DVD but the second english track is a Dolby Surround 2.0 version of the DD 5.1 track even though it says it has the original mono on the back cover. However it is not clear if some copies have this or all copies. Anyone who has it already should check to see if theirs is one of the discs with this problem. If this is true than its a hudge gaffe by Universal and who would need a Dolby Surround version of the 5.1 track anyway, it would make more sense to have the original mono track if you were going to have a second English option.