DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Vertigo Universal Legacy Series: 10/7/08

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vertigo Universal Legacy Series: 10/7/08

Figured this deserved it's own thread. Info from DVDTimes, link here:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of new Two-Disc Special Editions of Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho, Rear Window and Vertigo on 7th October 2008. Priced at $26.98 SRP each, these two-disc sets are released under the Universal Legacy Series banner and offer the following features…

Vertigo
Disc 1: Main Feature

* 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English DD5.1 Surround and DD2.0 Mono
* English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
* Feature Commentary with Associate Producer Herbert Coleman, Restoration Team Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz and Other Vertigo Participants
* Feature Commentary with Director William Friedkin
* Foreign Censorship Ending
* The Vertigo Archives
* Production Notes
* Original Theatrical Trailer
* Restoration Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2: Extra Features

* Obsessed with Vertigo: New Life for Hitchcock's Masterpiece
* Partners in Crime: Hitchcock's Collaborators
* Hitchcock / Truffaut Interview Excerpts
* Alfred Hitchcock Presents "The Case of Mr. Pelham"

Last edited by NoirFan; 07-09-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, I'm going to be broke Oct. 7th after buying all the Hitchcock Legacy releases!
Old 07-09-08, 06:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
October is shaping up to be a promising month!
Old 07-09-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hitchcock is my favorite director hands down, but all this Hitchcock at once is becoming, if you will, obsessive. Sadly, I'll be purchasing every single title.
Old 07-10-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
i'm glad they preserved some of the original poster art for the cover, but that huge jimmy stewart is a little obnoxious. nevertheless, i'm pumped for this release as i still have the original non-anamorphic version (and i'm praying it gets a Blu-ray release next year).
Old 07-10-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blu-ray, or it didn't happen.
Old 07-10-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Geez, isn't this like the third release for Vertigo? I have the CE which has many of these features, but the commentaries are nice extras. Though I do prefer the old movie poster artwork:
Old 07-10-08, 02:57 PM

The commentaries are dissapointing. Isn't the crew commentary the same commentary from the previous release?

I don't think I even need to address Friedkin's commentary.
Old 07-10-08, 04:13 PM

It looks like only the Friedkin commentary and the TV episode are new over the last release in the Masterpiece collection. If that is true, pass for me.
Old 07-10-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
It's nice to see this get an anamorphic release outside of that old Hitchcock set. But I'm dying for this to come out on Blu-ray! It'll be hard, but I think I'm going to try to hold out.

And I MUCH prefer the original DVD cover art. As someone else said, that huge James Stewart pic is pretty obnoxious.
Old 07-10-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You know, if these are pretty much the same transfers as the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece box set... I'm buying that box set. I can get it for like 90 bucks and there's 14 films there. That's a pretty damn good deal considering how much buying them all in October will be.
Old 07-10-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the Masterpiece set, but I'd gladly get Vertigo on Blu-Ray if Universal decides to release it.
Old 07-10-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't know Bela Lugosi was in Vertigo.

K
Old 07-11-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
I didn't know Bela Lugosi was in Vertigo.

K
Wow James Stewart does look like Bela Lugosi on that cover good-call there.
Old 07-11-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Though I do prefer the old movie poster artwork:
ditto.

I have a giant poster of that hanging above my TV.
Old 07-11-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
i'm glad they preserved some of the original poster art for the cover, but that huge jimmy stewart is a little obnoxious
That is very true, except replace a little with a lotta.
Old 07-11-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
And I MUCH prefer the original DVD cover art. As someone else said, that huge James Stewart pic is pretty obnoxious.
Probably a subconscious thing by the artists who are looking at the MSRPs for all of these titles.
Old 09-28-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDTalk review. It's a pity this release doesn't include a scholarly commentary track instead of or in addition to the Friedkin track, this film cries out for academic analysis.
Old 09-28-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It's a sad day when a triple-dip on a SD release is chosen as a 'DVD Talk Collectors Series.' I can still remember when that used to mean something.

And a review that compares the 2001 to the new 2008 edition glossing over the 2005 release ... wtf?

Vertigo and Rear Window are top 10 films of all time on my personal list but I've never triple dipped and the days of double dipping a SD release are GONE.

I'll wait for the inevitable Blu-ray release after they're done fishing for sucker money.
Old 09-29-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Vertigo and Rear Window are top 10 films of all time on my personal list but I've never triple dipped and the days of double dipping a SD release are GONE.

I'll wait for the inevitable Blu-ray release after they're done fishing for sucker money.
My sentiments exactly. Even though I don't even have a Blu-ray player yet, it's time to start planning for the future. Any double or triple dips from the major studios in my wish list have been excised in anticipation of eventual Blu releases. Does Netflix always only stock earlier editions of films? I'd certainly want to give all of the upcoming Hitchcock re-releases and Touch of Evil a spin, for the extras.
Old 09-29-08, 05:19 AM

[...]

I'll wait for the inevitable Blu-ray release [...].
Originally Posted by NoirFan
My sentiments exactly. Even though I don't even have a Blu-ray player yet, it's time to start planning for the future. Any double or triple dips from the major studios in my wish list have been excised in anticipation of eventual Blu releases. [...]
Same boat here.
Old 09-29-08, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's a sad day when a triple-dip on a SD release is chosen as a 'DVD Talk Collectors Series.' I can still remember when that used to mean something.

And a review that compares the 2001 to the new 2008 edition glossing over the 2005 release ... wtf?

I haven't had the opportunity to check out this release yet but, there was no '2005 release'. The 2005 release you speak of, is from the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection, and as far as I know, those remasters never had a seperate release. For people, like myself, who never wanted to bother paying the money for so many extra movies in that boxed set, these are the first releases since the 2001 DVD.

Triple dipping does not mean that a title can't be worthy of a collectors series rating. Something can be release a couple of times with no features, and then come out in some fantastic set with loads of features, and be worthy of it. Rear Window is also a classic that can stand up to many repeat viewings.
Old 09-29-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I haven't had the opportunity to check out this release yet but, there was no '2005 release'. The 2005 release you speak of, is from the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection, and as far as I know, those remasters never had a seperate release. For people, like myself, who never wanted to bother paying the money for so many extra movies in that boxed set, these are the first releases since the 2001 DVD.
I'm pretty sure that's just a bad choice of words on your part but I don't consider any films by Alfred Hitchcock as "extra movies."

If a DVD is released, it's a release whether or not you choose to own it.

Triple dipping does not mean that a title can't be worthy of a collectors series rating. Something can be release a couple of times with no features, and then come out in some fantastic set with loads of features, and be worthy of it. Rear Window is also a classic that can stand up to many repeat viewings.
That sort of thinking is exactly my point. Reviewers rewarding DVD producers for finally getting it right ... what nonsense.

DVD reviewers would offer far more worth by talking about the value equation. When a DVD comes out off of the same master with minor tweaking of the image and a couple of new extras it should get a 'Rent It' whereas you guys give it your highest rating ... what a joke.

Apparently all Universal needed to do was give an individual release to a release only initially available as a box set and add a commentary ... both things they should have done from the get-go. Now with Blu-ray around the corner for many of us ... please.

Last edited by ctyankee; 09-29-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-29-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
DVD reviewers would offer far more worth by talking about the value equation. When a DVD comes out off of the same master with minor tweaking of the image and a couple of new extras it should get a 'Rent It' whereas you guys give it your highest rating ... what a joke.
I disagree completely. Each release should be rated strictly on its own merits. The review text can give comparisons and recommendations to people that already own another version, but the overall rating should be independent of that. Not everyone owns earlier releases of the same film and the overall rating should not assume so.
Old 09-29-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If a DVD is released, it's a release whether or not you choose to own it.
The Masterpiece Box Set is an incredible deal. 15 movies. Yesterday that set was 62.99 shipped from Amazon. Unbeatable. Unfortunately, it's a big box set with the list price of $120.

This is a individual release with a street price of $20. The last individual release was 7 years ago and included a few extras. This release is a 2-disc set with a nice compliment of extras and dramatically improved picture quality. You know what -- this is a DVD Collector's Series disc. If you had the original release, or one of the original box sets... this would be an excellent replacement of those.

The only quip against this set would be the pang of not having the extra features here if you owned the Masterpiece box set. Every self-respecting fan of cinema would likely own that box set, true. But, you have to realize many people never look into big box sets and only want to cherry pick the big diamonds off a crown like this.

-beebs

Last edited by beebs; 09-29-08 at 12:55 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.