Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Stanley Kubrick Collection discussion (Part II)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Stanley Kubrick Collection discussion (Part II)

Old 01-09-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't scanned through the original thread, but there was no discussion on the issue in this one yet, so I thought I'd bring it up: does anyone know if Warner has a response to the coloring errors in the transfer of the Shining?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, when Danny is playing in the hall right before going into 237, the tennis ball and some of his toys are pink, when they should be yellow/green:

i noticed the pink ball immediately when i watched it on HD DVD and then it really sunk in when watching the same footage in one of the docs where the ball is green.
Old 01-09-08, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Seashellz
Arial Rounded BOLD at 18pt does the job, lowercase for the "THE" in the SHINING
The US releases that I have use the Futura font for the front and spine title treatments...

Except when you get to the original "Shining" cover...They switch to Helvetica....
Old 01-09-08, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by SandMan_
Thanks paddy...

Curious if your version is a two disc edition....Is the back the same as what I posted or different...

I will remove the two disc edition from the front and put "The" in place and repost it and let all know when I have this done...
It is a 2 disc, and the back is different.

Not the best picture, but it gives you an idea what the back looks like
Old 01-09-08, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Seashellz
interesting: spine numbers seem to suggest a 'custom' cat number series-attempted, except:

ACO-118615
FMJ 118616
----? 118617
EWS-118618
2001-64774
TS -72210
SK:ALIP-120227
118617 is the spin number for the correct cover of The Shining.
Old 01-09-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SandMan_
Well you can grab the front off of the cover I posted as it is 300dpi and sized right...

Let me know what font you need and I prolly have it...

And I would have to look for the images if they are the same ones that are on the back of what I posted...

Or you can just grab and use what I posted...

I am curious to see if the logos and titles line up with the rest...
I went ahead and finished my mock back that I created. So if you or anyone wants to use it, feel free to do so.

EDIT: I've decided to tweak a few things to make a closer approximation of the back as per Paddy's pic.

I've uploaded it to rapidshare here .

Last edited by Rizor; 01-09-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 08:04 PM

Thanks to Rizor for the back...

I put it back together with your back and a revised front...

The cat number on the spine is still the US released version number...Anyone want it changed, paint over it and use Helvetica Medium 8pt font for a match to the US release and what I have done...

Download it here.

Last edited by SandMan_; 01-09-08 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This looks awesome. Thanks so much!
Old 01-09-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
I haven't scanned through the original thread, but there was no discussion on the issue in this one yet, so I thought I'd bring it up: does anyone know if Warner has a response to the coloring errors in the transfer of the Shining?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, when Danny is playing in the hall right before going into 237, the tennis ball and some of his toys are pink, when they should be yellow/green:

i noticed the pink ball immediately when i watched it on HD DVD and then it really sunk in when watching the same footage in one of the docs where the ball is green.
Hadn't noticed that. Very interesting.
Old 01-09-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that is interesting...seems like hell would have been raised somewhere on the net, and I have seen nothing. Someone should let dvdbeaver know
Old 01-10-08, 08:08 AM

Yeah, I noticed the pink ball and toy cars immediately. I wonder what the heck happened there.
Old 01-10-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
Someone should let dvdbeaver know
incredibly, it's right there in their screen caps, but there is no mention of it in the comments.
Old 01-11-08, 08:49 AM

Is there a custom cover for "Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures"? The spine on that cover does not match the others, as well! Thank you to Sandman for posting the Shining cover!!!

--John
Old 01-11-08, 09:08 AM
Banned

Anybody know if the pink ball issue is present in the Blu-ray version as well?
Old 01-11-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardaway
Anybody know if the pink ball issue is present in the Blu-ray version as well?
yes, it is present in all versions of the most recent release of the Shining.
Old 01-11-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, I really don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine Kubrick spinning in his grave over WB changing that to a pink ball. How the hell does something like that happen?

I also raised concerns earlier that the newest version of Clockwork Orange appears to be framed differently compared to the original DVD widescreen release. Kind of surprised none of these issues (including the Shining and Eyes Wide Shut cover misprints) are receiving much attention.

Last edited by rennervision; 01-11-08 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 04:27 PM

The new cover looks great, SandMan! I feel inspired to fix a spine for "A Life In Pictures" myself, if your modified version shouldn't turn up here ;-) ...although who knows when I'd find the time. However a question for those with the correct covers, perhaps (Paddy963) what does the correct spine look like? Does it really say "Stanley Kubrick's"?
Old 01-11-08, 08:40 PM

Just wanted to add my thanks to SandMan for the Shining boxset cover- I've had this boxset unopened since early November and finally opened it up -- great job
Old 01-11-08, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Myran
The new cover looks great, SandMan! I feel inspired to fix a spine for "A Life In Pictures" myself, if your modified version shouldn't turn up here ;-) ...although who knows when I'd find the time. However a question for those with the correct covers, perhaps (Paddy963) what does the correct spine look like? Does it really say "Stanley Kubrick's"?
In my boxset, which had the proper cover for The Shining, the spine for "A Life In Pictures" doesn't match the others. I assume it's the same as the cover/spine you'd get if you bought it on it's own?

Old 01-12-08, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the Shining artwork.

Now, I guess to Kinko's to have a correctly framed and glossy looking DVD cover.
Old 01-12-08, 10:29 AM

Out of all the covers. I like the shining redrum cover the best! I sold my set off since I switched to Blu-ray but I'm happy you finally got a cover to make the set look more true. As far as individual release covers. I really like the new 2001 and FMJ.
Old 01-12-08, 04:30 PM

Paddy, at the moment my step-parents are sleeping in the room where my dvds are, but I'm pretty sure the spine lookas like that. :-) Thanks for the info.
Old 01-12-08, 04:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

as a note, you can use the select tool, square it up above the UPC and get rid of the proof of purchase tabs, by painting/infilling the selected area-from top of UPC to top of cover, which makes it look a bit better and you will do a nice squared clean job.

Has anyone ever even used one of these things?!

Last edited by Seashellz; 01-12-08 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by rennervision
You know, I really don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine Kubrick spinning in his grave over WB changing that to a pink ball. How the hell does something like that happen?

I also raised concerns earlier that the newest version of Clockwork Orange appears to be framed differently compared to the original DVD widescreen release. Kind of surprised none of these issues (including the Shining and Eyes Wide Shut cover misprints) are receiving much attention.

I used to get rid of my older copies of a movie once i "upgraded." But lately I've been keeping the old version too. It seems there's always a reason to keep the old one. Either they leave out some extras or they screw up the transfer somehow (The Star Wars Trilogy, Bladerunner, Bram Stoker's Dracula).

I'm not expecting Warner's to address this. Its probably a side-effect of tweaking the colors/contrast (the same thing that caused Vader's lightsaber to turn pink on the dvd).
Old 01-14-08, 10:44 AM

Hey folks, longtime lurker. Always enjoy reading the info and am hoping someone can help. I held off on grabbing the boxset, finances etc., but have some Best Buy gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, but when I search for the set online, bestbuy.com shows it as not available. Anyone have any clues, or does this mean maybe their replacing it with the sets with correct cover art? ( I hope!)
Old 01-14-08, 02:23 PM

Bump for the afternoon, I noticed IMDB Kubrick message board posters asking the same question. Apparently the box is unavailable at bestbuy.com and Amazon.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.