Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Stanley Kubrick Collection discussion (Part II)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Stanley Kubrick Collection discussion (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cfloyd3
Well, that's just your opinion. This debate has and will go on forever but what I see open matte Eyes Wide Shut is how I think it was composed. The DVDBeaver first shot of Kidman looks much better to my eyes in OPEN MATTE.
Oh, I'm sure a LOT of Kidman shots in that film look better in open matte. Why do you think they call the site DVDBeaver?
Old 11-28-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never did understand where that domain name came from. I know Gary's a bit of horndog, but c'mon. I always, always, always get an odd look or raised eybrow from people when I say the site's name and they're not familiar with it. "No really, it's just a review site!"
Old 11-29-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gary's Canadian. Lots of beavers up there.
Old 11-29-07, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by rennervision
You're right. I just checked my copy and that shot is, finally, perfectly framed just like I always wanted it to be. Not sure what everyone else is seeing.
On page one you said: "(2) So Eyes Wide Shut does not have the R-rated version as advertised? Is Warner going to fix this?"

This makes me curious. Are you saying you're bothered by imperfect framing in The Shining but want the crudely censored version of EWS?
Old 11-29-07, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Frozenhamster
It seems all the Canadian boxes have the right Shining cover. And no, mine does not have any ridiculous french on it. YAY!
Care to scan your cover for the rest of us?
Old 12-19-07, 08:55 AM

Any updates on the US release having the correct Shining cover? Is it true that the Canadian box is 100% English with the correct covers?
Old 12-19-07, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by dvdman47
Any updates on the US release having the correct Shining cover? Is it true that the Canadian box is 100% English with the correct covers?

I bought my box at Bestbuy in Ottawa (as close to French Canada as you can get to without being in French Canada), and there isn't a single word of french on the box or any of the discs. Half of them don't even have the Canadian Home Video rating, and the cover for the Shining is in line with the rest of the boxset.
Old 12-20-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hermes10
On page one you said: "(2) So Eyes Wide Shut does not have the R-rated version as advertised? Is Warner going to fix this?"

This makes me curious. Are you saying you're bothered by imperfect framing in The Shining but want the crudely censored version of EWS?
You like buying a product that isn't what it claims to be on the packaging? But no, it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I'm perfectly happy to finally have the uncensored version. (Although I later realized, I actually think the R-rated open-matte version looks better.)
Old 12-20-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rennervision
You like buying a product that isn't what it claims to be on the packaging? But no, it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I'm perfectly happy to finally have the uncensored version. (Although I later realized, I actually think the R-rated open-matte version looks better.)
Same here, an unrated open-matte would be my ideal version. At least while I still have a standard TV.
Old 12-22-07, 12:30 AM

Sorry to bump this, but any word on replacement covers or anything? Just got this as an early Xmas gift and was sort of disappointed to see that it has the wrong Shining cover.
Old 12-22-07, 08:28 AM

Ya I haven't heard anything. Come to think of it I don't believe WB even made a statement.
Old 01-01-08, 05:46 PM

Call me old fash... actually, call me a-guy-with-a-decent-inkjet-printer: a printable pdf of the correct Shining cover would make me a happy bunny and shouldn't be too much of a hassle for the Warnerhome art department, should it? Although a) how to tell them about this solution, b) how to make them care, c) what proper channels could they use to distribute a pdf if d) there aren't any pesky copyright-or-something problems with it?

I guess we still have to hope for all you kind Canadians with decent scanning equipment. Eh? :-)
Old 01-01-08, 09:30 PM

Add me to the list of wanting a replacement cover for my shining dvd to match the rest of the set (or finding a link to a hi-res scan of the canadian box set art work for the shining)
Old 01-08-08, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Myran
Call me old fash... actually, call me a-guy-with-a-decent-inkjet-printer: a printable pdf of the correct Shining cover would make me a happy bunny and shouldn't be too much of a hassle for the Warnerhome art department, should it? Although a) how to tell them about this solution, b) how to make them care, c) what proper channels could they use to distribute a pdf if d) there aren't any pesky copyright-or-something problems with it?

I guess we still have to hope for all you kind Canadians with decent scanning equipment. Eh? :-)
How about a printable jpg image....
Old 01-09-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I really don't view it as such a big deal, I wouldn't mind having a printout of The Shining's cover in the box set, just so it matches.
Old 01-09-08, 12:47 AM

Sorry guys but I don't have a scanner to scan it for you. Also, is there a box set of this available in bluray? Or is it just available as separate releases in highdef?
Old 01-09-08, 03:12 AM

Here you go kids...

I don't know if the back is the same as this Canadian release you are talking about because I do not have it or never saw it...This is new artwork on the front of "The Shining" cover and adjusted spines...I also adjusted the spine title for the "Life In Pictures" cover if anyone wants it...

One thing of note is that whoever did the original scans did not use any registration points and the spine titles, logos, etc were all misaligned...I simply picked one cover and made a template and replaced all text, logos and titles so they all lined up properly....

I do not know if this one cover is going to line up exactly with the set you have because I simply picked one of these scans as a starting point and it might differ from what you have...No big deal to just cut the spine off and replace it if needed...And I mean cutting off in PhotoShop or other software, not scissors...

Previews below...

Hopefully, you can download the cover here.

Or you can view the collection on the board here.

Last edited by SandMan_; 01-09-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good stuff, man. I was working on a custom version of The Shining to match the other covers myself. The back was nearly there, but I hit a bit of a snag though since I didn't have the right font for the summary, no hi-res still images or the door image for the front.
Old 01-09-08, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rizor
Good stuff, man. I was working on a custom version of The Shining to match the other covers myself. The back was nearly there, but I hit a bit of a snag though since I didn't have the right font for the summary, no hi-res still images or the door image for the front.

Well you can grab the front off of the cover I posted as it is 300dpi and sized right...

Let me know what font you need and I prolly have it...

And I would have to look for the images if they are the same ones that are on the back of what I posted...

Or you can just grab and use what I posted...

I am curious to see if the logos and titles line up with the rest...
Old 01-09-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shouldn't there be a "The" on the front cover? I've never heard the movie referred to as Stanley Kubrick's Shining (plus it's on the spine).

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 01-09-08 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-09-08, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Shouldn't there be a "The" on the front cover? I've never heard the movie referred to as Stanley Kubrick's Shining (plus it's on the spine).
I have no clue as I have never seen a retail version of this...

All I can say is that is what is on the poster art I have...Plain and simple and no "The"

I did put it on the spine since that is what the actual title is but I did not want to alter the actual artwork for the front unless it is an error...

Somebody have the retail, show me a preview and I will fix it...

Last edited by SandMan_; 01-09-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SandMan_
Here you go kids...

Or you can view the collection on the board here.

You have to register to view the pictures.
Old 01-09-08, 02:22 PM

Here is the cover of my DVD. It does have the "the" in the title and does not say "2 disc special edition"
Old 01-09-08, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Paddy963

Here is the cover of my DVD. It does have the "the" in the title and does not say "2 disc special edition"

Thanks paddy...

Curious if your version is a two disc edition....Is the back the same as what I posted or different...

I will remove the two disc edition from the front and put "The" in place and repost it and let all know when I have this done...
Old 01-09-08, 03:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Im pretty certain the same backs would be used-but im not that caring-I just want the fronts and spines to match.

But WARNER has been a pretty good player on things like this from the start; Ill bet they would replace them-especailly those of us who bought the box set-anyone have an 800 CS number?

Arial Rounded BOLD at 18pt does the job, lowercase for the "THE" in the SHINING

interesting: spine numbers seem to suggest a 'custom' cat number series-attempted, except:

ACO-118615
FMJ 118616
TS 118617
EWS 118618
SK: 120227
2001- 64774
LOLITA-64886

since the white sticks out like a sore thumb I made an impromptu black cover

Last edited by Seashellz; 01-12-08 at 04:57 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.