Reload this Page >

Blade Runner - so many versions

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner - so many versions

Old 12-19-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by coltcannon
As I have posted before I bought a SD briefcase from BB and it didnt have the letter/picture plastic sheet. I just noticed the slipcover doesnt identify that there should even be a letter/picture thing. Im gonna send a email to warner and see what they say.
Why waste your time. Just return the darn thing.
Old 12-19-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
^ Yeah, BB (at least for me) is good about that kind of thing. Hopefully they'll have another there and you can just exchange it.
Old 12-20-07, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was surprised at how slim the four-disc set is. I expected it to thicker, like the Sin City set.

Is the 5 disc set thicker, or the same size as the four set?
Old 12-20-07, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Christi P
I was surprised at how slim the four-disc set is. I expected it to thicker, like the Sin City set.

Is the 5 disc set thicker, or the same size as the four set?
The bulk of the Sin City set was the graphic novel.

Amazon says they are "preparing for shipment" my BD Briefcase, so I should get it before the end of the year. Did anyone who pre-ordered it from Amazon actually get a delay notice? Mine looks like it's going out exactly when they said it would. I know they have the disclaimer on the page now, but I'm guessing that was for new(er) orders only.
Old 12-20-07, 05:50 AM

Hope you guys are enjoying the set.

But I do have one question, how many audio interviews with Phillip K. Dick are there as I would really like to know.
Old 12-20-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to pick up the 4-disc set at Best Buy for $23, but Barnes & Noble just dropped their online price for the SD Briefcase to $55 (30% off MSRP.)

Using my 10% membership discount and a 25% off coupon (thanks to the Bargain forum,) I managed to get it for $36 w/free express shipping.
Old 12-20-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Finally gave up on looking for the five-disc HD-DVD version in stores (non-briefcase) and ordered it online through Buy.com. I was going to use a 5% off coupon to get it for $26.xx shipped, but I took advantage of Google Checkout instead and got it for $17.xx shipped (the coupon and GCO are non-stackable). Pretty good deal!

Here's the coupon link if anyone's interested (5% off your total order, all members welcome).
Old 12-20-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In case anyone in Chicago is interested, I just saw a Blu-Ray Briefcase set at the Borders on State and Randolph downtown. I only saw one and it was in the glass case behind a couple other things and only the top inch or so of it was visible. So, look hard if you go for it.
Old 12-20-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I don't know why, but I never thought the briefcase would get so hard to find so soon. Maybe after Christmas, but not already. I guess limited to 103K isn't as much as it once was. There are probably more stores out there than that.
Old 12-20-07, 07:58 PM

Saw the hd version briefcase @ best buy tonight for a whopping $99.99. It was the first time I saw it in person. I thought it would be bigger. I've got this on order with amazon blu-ray format. I don't understand how they could charge so much. They didn't have any 5disk sets available for purchase either. I still can't wait to have this on my door step!
Old 12-20-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
describe diffrent versions of Blade Runner please

I have done a search but could not find an answer.

I purchased the briefcase version of Blade Runner. Of course it has all 5 versions, but what exactly is the difference between them?

Thanks

Last edited by Randy810; 12-20-07 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-20-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should probably just ask this question in one of the many Blade Runner discussions.
Old 12-20-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
do any of these versions have the hospital scene with Deckard visiting Holden?
Old 12-20-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Randy810
do any of these versions have the hospital scene with Deckard visiting Holden?
No, but the deleted scenes are assembled in a narrative, and it's actually watchable as a story, but you need to see atleast one version of the film before.

The hospital scenes are full of redundant information and that's why you won't see them in any version.
Old 12-20-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen the Final Cut or the workprint (my copy hasn't come in yet), but I can tell you about the three versions on disc three.

Essentially, the '82 theatrical cut is as it was. It features a narration by Harrison Ford and a happy ending.

The '82 International Cut adds a few seconds of violence here and there.

The '92 Director's Cut is essentially the '82 theatrical cut without the narration and happy ending. It also adds a unicorn dream sequence but doesn't include the added violence from the International Cut.

As far as I know, the Final Cut isn't significantly different. Just different takes and shots here and there. I believe the Final Cut has some touched up and new visual effects, some alternate lines, fixes some goofs, and is trimmed for pacing (some shots ran a little long in the DC due to the lack of narration). Still, there are supposedly many touch ups that shouldn't even be noticeable; they were just made to enhance the overall experience.

I believe the Workprint features slightly different opening credits, some extra/alternate shots here and there, some temp music and some deleted and alternate dialogue throughout the film. It also lacks narration except for a key moment towards the end.
Old 12-20-07, 10:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_R...%28versions%29

This seems to give a pretty good explanation.
Old 12-20-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,541 Posts
Has anyone attempted to watch the 3 1/2 hour making of documentary on Disc 2?

I'm 1 hour into it and man this is one of the most thorough and exhausting special features.
Old 12-20-07, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya

I'm 1 hour into it and man this is one of the most thorough and exhausting!
The whole set is great. The best part were the deleted/alternate scenes. Some of that stuff was really interesting to see.
Old 12-21-07, 12:47 AM

I got the 4-Disc SD version from BB. They only had one left on the shelf when I left. Every other local BB had no more left.
Old 12-21-07, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
I just think people have been spoiled with 5 dollar bins. I am a beliver in Value, but when a 5 disc set runs less than 50 bucks ( Especially when the something like the 2 disc POTC sets are going for 29.99) I find it hard to complain.
qft.

For those complaining about the price of the briefcase, why don't you come over here to Finland see how much the 5-disc briefcaseless version goes for?

Seriously, it's 50 euros. That's almost 80 dollars!
Old 12-21-07, 07:58 AM
Cool New Member

I'm 1 hour into it and man this is one of the most thorough and exhausting special features.
I've watched about 3 hours of the documentary and I can definitely say that it's one of the best I've ever seen for a dvd, let alone any documentary. It is exhausting to say the least but hardcore fans won't be disappointed. It ranks right up there with the Alien Quad, The Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, and even Hearts of Darkness.
Old 12-21-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, started it last night, finished it this morning. It is excellent.
Old 12-21-07, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
These people would shit a brick if they collected laserdiscs back in the day.

129.99 for a boxset that includes a widescreen transfer, maybe a commentary and some trailers. What people today would call "bare bones".
Add inflation to the 1993 price of 129.99( not exact math). Guessing atleast 180 bucks.

Imagine if hollywood would have kept that price point for dvds/HD?
This blade runner set is a STEAL for 50 bucks.
Amen. Every post I have read complaining of price I roll my eyes, and remember all the money I forked over back in the day for LaserDiscs. The standard price was $40, and that was just for the movie, and MAYBE a trailer. MAYBE. You complainers have no idea. I remember paying $50 on release day for "Braveheart", and remember, LaserDiscs were not even 16x9 or 5.1 (only about 1% were 5.1). Instead of being negative and focusing on the price (which I think is a bargain!) let's just be gratefull that this classic has finally been given the ultimate treatment it deserves in the best possible video and audio ever. Again, we former LaserDisc people can appreciate how lucky we now are.

I bought one standard DVD Briefcase and two Blu-ray Briefcases just as an investment, and that came to the same price I paid for the ONE Special Edition of "Star Wars" eps. 4-6 on LaserDisc which is now obsolete.

Last edited by andy1992; 12-21-07 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-21-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about the documentary was how low-key it felt. It seemed like everyone was talking in a monotone, and it nearly put me to sleep in a few spots. But it is great due to all bits of excised footage, and participation from pretty much everyone involved in the film that's still alive.
Old 12-21-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by andy1992
Every post I have read complaining of price I roll my eyes, and remember all the money I forked over back in the day for LaserDiscs. The standard price was $40.......................
Right, and this is the main reason LaserDisc never caught on with the GP.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.