Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Live Free or Die Hard>>> November 20th!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Live Free or Die Hard>>> November 20th!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-07, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
there shouldn't be more than 1 layer change while a movie is playing otherwise it's just retarded. maybe if they didn't put all that extra "digital copy" crap on it we wouldn't be having this kind of problem.
I only experienced one pause at about 58 minutes into the movie. That's roughly the midpoint of the movie so I assume that's the layer switch. My player always pauses for about a second at the layer switch.
Old 11-26-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I only noticed about half-a-second pause during what was obviously a layer-switch. No problems at all with seamless-branching.
Old 11-26-07, 09:23 PM

As a followup to my original post I noted one at the 1 hour 45 minute mark of the Unrated version, its the scene in the cooler with the "Hamster" heh. After the movie was over I jumped back to that time frame and sure enough it wasn't there that time.

I guess its just a disc my player doesn't care for. Really weird, honestly never had this problem before and in this day and age you'd think you wouldn't.
Old 12-02-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just watched the UNRATED edition. Didn't notice anything other than the one layer change.

I ended up putting my big silver trilogy up on ebay and surprisingly got $41.00 for it + $4.99 shipping = $45.99, which was exactly the price of the set at Costco, so that was a nice no-brainer upgrade.
Old 12-02-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ok heres the deal...

i bought the Steelbook 2disc Unrated DVD at Best Buy but have yet to open it. I am thinking about taking it back and just getting the Blu-Ray disc (i just got a PS3)...

What would you guys do?

-NiCK
Old 12-02-07, 06:31 PM

Although Blu-Ray is going to look a lot better, the unrated version really sells it for me. I also love steelbooks.
Old 12-02-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will say the F-words put in did make this movie feel MUCH more like a John McClaine film.
Old 12-02-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
ok heres the deal...

i bought the Steelbook 2disc Unrated DVD at Best Buy but have yet to open it. I am thinking about taking it back and just getting the Blu-Ray disc (i just got a PS3)...

What would you guys do?

-NiCK
Keep the Steel Book. The DVD looks awesome upconverted using the PS3. The only real loss would be the DTS track.
Old 12-02-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Imail724
Although Blu-Ray is going to look a lot better, the unrated version really sells it for me. I also love steelbooks.
thanks alot for the help everyone...

yea, im a sucker for Steelbooks too. If there was an Unrated Blu-Ray i think i would have done it... but im gonna keep the DVD.

Yippee Ki Ay.

-NiCK
Old 12-03-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Ok...i am gonna ask something here and i don't want to step over the boundaries of copyrighted materials...but i think i am in the clear with this question. I got my copy of the Unrated version of the DVD the other day and i noticed that on Disc 2 it gives you and option of copying the movie onto your hard drive as a WMV. I did this right away and loved the option. The movie plays excellently. I was wondering however, if there is any way to convert this file to play on my iPod? I am due to travel next week and i wanted something to watch on the plane in case the movies they have are crap. I have used Red Kawa before to convert some files, but wanted some help with this one as i couldn't convert it using that software.
Old 12-03-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it puts it as a WMV? So I should be able to load it to my Zune?
Old 12-03-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
The WMV file only works on most Plays For Sure devices. It doesn't work on iPods, PSPs, Blackberrys, or the Zune. You need a media player that is branded Plays For Sure compatible in order to watch the movie on the go.
Old 12-04-07, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a
I got my copy of the Unrated version of the DVD the other day and i noticed that on Disc 2 it gives you and option of copying the movie onto your hard drive as a WMV.
Is this WMV file actually on the DVD? I thought it was a download.
Old 12-05-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I will say the F-words put in did make this movie feel MUCH more like a John McClaine film.

While McClaine was more like himself, this movie did not look or feel like a Die Hard movie.
Old 12-05-07, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by cracksky
Exclusive to Costco - 8-disc Die Hard Ultimate Collection
Includes All 4 Die Hard Special Edition DVD's
11/20/07

Yippee-Ki-Yay!
I bought it in canada... But I'm afraid to open it... I already have the 4 disc collection (Die Hard, Die Hard 2, Die Hard 3 + bonus disc). I bought the "new" one tonight at costco in Montreal... But it's not written anywhere if it's all single disc dvd or all 2-disc dvd, but there's a Tshirt coming with it... I don't want to open it and realize that is the same thing I already have, I only miss LFoDH but I don't want to pay 45$ for that and a tshirt... Anyone bought it in Montreal (or Canada) and knows if it's the 8 disc collection? Thank you.

Here's some pictures of what mine look like.

Last edited by JohnMcClane; 12-05-07 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
While McClaine was more like himself, this movie did not look or feel like a Die Hard movie.
Although the action was explosive and the movie was enjoyable to me, it didn't have the claustrophobic sense of urgency the others did.
Old 12-06-07, 10:12 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Although the action was explosive and the movie was enjoyable to me, it didn't have the claustrophobic sense of urgency the others did.

2 takes place in a giant airport 3 takes place in a city. That claustrophobic feel pretty much left after the first film. However LFoDH did try to bring it back with scenes in the small appartment and the elevator shaft.

There is only one Die Hard. It will never be touched. I always felt that somehow part 2 felt more like a Die Hard film but it is just plain BAD! and while part 3 was a better film it does not in any way feel like a Die Hard movie.

I am with Bruce Willis on this one. Live Free or Die HArd is the only true Die Hard Sequel
Old 12-06-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I actually don't get all the positive feedback coming from this. Personally, I just felt that the casting was terribly off and the action in general felt very neutered. Also, it just didn't have the man against the world feeling of the other films.
Suprisingly I was caught up in the idea of a "Fire Sale" but overall I don't need to see it again.
Old 12-08-07, 02:49 PM

Quick question on the CostCo set, do the first three movies have the DTS track? Only LFoDH doesn't have it? Thanks!
Old 12-09-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnMcClane
I bought it in canada... But I'm afraid to open it... I already have the 4 disc collection (Die Hard, Die Hard 2, Die Hard 3 + bonus disc). I bought the "new" one tonight at costco in Montreal... But it's not written anywhere if it's all single disc dvd or all 2-disc dvd, but there's a Tshirt coming with it... I don't want to open it and realize that is the same thing I already have, I only miss LFoDH but I don't want to pay 45$ for that and a tshirt... Anyone bought it in Montreal (or Canada) and knows if it's the 8 disc collection? Thank you.
I would be VERY surprised if that was an 8-disc set. The coverarts used on the box are generally used for the single-disc releases of the first three and the art used for LFoDH is DEFINITELY the art for the single-disc Unrated of that film. I would not open it.
Old 12-13-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, you guys know way more than me on this stuff and please forgive my ignorance in asking such a stupid question (and if I missed it in the previous 10 pages, again, please forgive me), but is this anamorphic?

The reason I ask is that when I put it in my new PS3 (which won't stretch the picture to fill my 42" widescreen, unlike my other DVD players), I get a "box in a box" picture. And there's nothing on the back that I could see (in the fine print) that said it was "anamorphic" or "specifically designed for widescreen TVs", though it IS the widescreen version.

Other DVDs I put in my PS3 that are "widescreen" (like the new Futurama release, which says it's "anamorphic, widescreen") play "correctly" on my TV (i.e. at least the picture fills the screen on the left and right... no "black bars" on the left, right, top, bottom; unlike "Live Free Die Hard")

Maybe I have settings on my PS3 that aren't right? Like I said, my PS3 is new, so I may not have played with all the settings on it.
Old 12-14-07, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its anamorphic.

hm, if there are black bars at the top and bottom only, thats what it should look like.

If there are black bars on all 4 sides, then you have to configure your PS3 to output 16x9 instead of standard 4x3
Old 12-14-07, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JohnMcClane
Here's some pictures of what mine look like.
They are probably the 1-disc releases. The US costco exclusive was labled as the Ultimate Die Hard collection and this CANADIAN costco exclusive is labled as the Die Hard Collection, which probably means these are the 1-disc versions. The dead give away is that Live Free Or Die Hard is the 1-disc release. If 2-disc is what your after, this does not look so hot.
Old 12-14-07, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Ok, you guys know way more than me on this stuff and please forgive my ignorance in asking such a stupid question (and if I missed it in the previous 10 pages, again, please forgive me), but is this anamorphic?

The reason I ask is that when I put it in my new PS3 (which won't stretch the picture to fill my 42" widescreen, unlike my other DVD players), I get a "box in a box" picture. And there's nothing on the back that I could see (in the fine print) that said it was "anamorphic" or "specifically designed for widescreen TVs", though it IS the widescreen version.

Other DVDs I put in my PS3 that are "widescreen" (like the new Futurama release, which says it's "anamorphic, widescreen") play "correctly" on my TV (i.e. at least the picture fills the screen on the left and right... no "black bars" on the left, right, top, bottom; unlike "Live Free Die Hard")

Maybe I have settings on my PS3 that aren't right? Like I said, my PS3 is new, so I may not have played with all the settings on it.
I think you have the "double scale" option turned on.
Old 12-14-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The caniglia pin has obviously slipped out of the dual bypass override valve. This creates an unsafe condition known as "letterbox". You need some ball bearings, a left handed screwdriver and some prop wash. It's all about ball bearings these days.

Actually a 2.35 movie on a 1.78 screen will still have small black bars. Unless of course you have bars on the sides as well like previously stated. In that case you need to throw everything out and get all new stuff.

Jesus I hate smartasses

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.