Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Seinfeld Box Set Announced

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Seinfeld Box Set Announced

Old 08-25-07, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I ask how? I see Angel the complete set is about $100 on Amazon...you are going to get $20+ for each Season after shipping/fees etc? The sets are $16.99 BRAND NEW at most stores now. Please tell me how as I would love to dump my original Angel sets.
deepdiscount.com has it for 103.17, or 83.18 during their Nov. sale.

I sold my copies of seasons 1-5 immediately after the set was announced, thus avoiding the recent 16.99 sale at bestbuy. But to top it off, very few people bargain hunt for things online/in-store. I got 96.00 for my sets (sold them at a package, probably could have made a little more if I sold them separately). If you sold now you might not make nearly as much. When complete series sets are announced the individual ones usually don't make as much money.

ANGEL: The Complete Series was rumored about a month or so before it was announced. I sold my sets before an official announcement.

Still you could make a point of saying they're not the new "slim" versions. Some people out there are still a fan of the digipack packaging, which is harder and harder to find.

Last edited by mayorofsmpleton; 08-25-07 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
Still you could make a point of saying they're not the new "slim" versions. Some people out there are still a fan of the digipack packaging, which is harder and harder to find.
That's what I'm hoping. I will be selling these shortly.
Old 08-28-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True. Personally I like both, slimline cases & digipack cases. I never understood why some people hate slimline cases so much, they’re pretty user friendly in my opinion & they save space. My only complaint about the individual season sets of Seinfeld is that instead of the regular old cardboard, I wish it was a glossed cardboard case like with the King of Queens, Married With Children, etc… Of course those are all digipack cases; they still could have made the cardboard glossy.
Old 08-28-07, 12:55 PM

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of shelf space killers, so slim cases rock. I personally love the ones that double up (Picket Fences, Roseanne)... you can fit two discs in a slimcase... completely amazing. I would more companies would switch over to these.

I've gotten so fed up with space killers I've considered selling sets I already own just for slim versions (Dark Angel, etc) that have since been released.
Old 08-28-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put off buying seasons in anticipation of this. Can't wait!
Old 08-28-07, 06:13 PM

If you own Seinfeld seasons 1-8, get on EBAY, get rid of your sets. You'd have to sell them for less than $18.xx or so per season to match the cost of the new box.
Not now that they've announced the set at over $200 on amazon.com.
Besides - sets of the 1st eight seasons used aren't going for very much.
Old 08-28-07, 08:36 PM

Obviously if you buy from amazon.com or any random retailer you won't break even. But if you buy carefully or wait for a good deal you'll do alright. Sure you probably won't break even, but you're getting the 9th season, as well as the coffee table book, collectible packaging, etc.

I don't really see how "waiting" for a complete series set is worth it in regards to that. I've probably viewed each season of Seinfeld on DVD 1-3 times or so by now. I've gotten a lot of use out of my sets, so not completely breaking even doesn't kill me. It's not like they sat unopened or unwatched after I bought them.
Old 08-29-07, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
About the people waiting for Seinfeld the HD treatment, why? Likely they will be the same amount of discs (maybe 1 or 2 less) & the picture isn’t going to look much better than it already does on the SD DVDs.
DVDs of most TV shows filmed in the 80s and 90s are usually sourced from tapes, but Seinfeld was one of the few shows that got remastered from film to HD. HD transfers do exist for Seinfeld, both for potential Blu-ray releases and for HD syndication.

I've played these DVDs so much over the years that I'm not miffed about this complete set. I bought the seasons mostly as they were released. I bought two of them when Best Buy sold them for $20 each. It seems like it would be somewhat cumbersome to remove the discs whenever I want to watch an episode and how often will I look at that coffee table book? I'm just going to buy season 9 when it comes out.
Old 08-29-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, hoping that FYE has this set on sale for $200 or lower on release week, I plan on selling back my sets, hopefully netting about $15 each after the 25% credit mark up, which brings it to around $120...after my 10% off discount card that should bring the box set down to $180, so for $60...I get season 9 + the coffee book & packaging.

Not that bad of a deal...that is if my trade in prices are still correct. Might consider selling back the seasons a month or so before the box set, just in case the SRP of each season drops.
Old 09-04-07, 03:27 PM

Has anyone found any good preorder prices?