Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Seinfeld Box Set Announced

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Seinfeld Box Set Announced

Old 08-23-07, 08:24 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
madcougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,690
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I REALLY, REALLY need to stop buying season sets. I understand what some people are saying about if the sales aren't there they won't make anymore, but I refuse to be the joker who makes these super deluxe sets possible and then can't justify buying them and enjoying them because he has all the seasons already.

I purposely held out on Angel and it looks like it's going to finally pay off for me.
Old 08-23-07, 08:24 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Why do people still buy individual sets of series that are dead and gone when this has been proven time and time again?
Hmm. Don't see it happening for:

NewsRadio
OZ
Coupling (UK)
Queer as Folk (US)
Three's Company
Roseanne


Shall I continue?

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Originally Posted by Geist
See, I'm going to hold off now and wait for them to release this in HD. Seinfeld was shot on 480i video right?
Wouldn't they have to redo all the special effects in HD to make this work?
Correct. I believe it was shot on video, not film. Certainly not worth the expense to Sony to produce.

Last edited by rfduncan; 08-23-07 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-23-07, 08:25 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
MTRodaba2468's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 2,576
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by animatedude
because!...i NEVER buy individual seasons NEVER,no matter how special the series is.
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Why do people still buy individual sets of series that are dead and gone when this has been proven time and time again?
That mentality is part of the reason studios stop releasing shows after the first season (I'm STILL pissed off about Universal abandoning American Dreams). If no one buys the individual seasons, they'll assume that there isn't enough interest.

With that said, I've got the first two Seinfeld box sets (I got them as gifts). I hadn't gotten around to picking up the other sets. Once the Complete Series set comes out, I can sell off my sets to help fund it.
Old 08-23-07, 08:58 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I believe it was shot on video, not film. Certainly not worth the expense to Sony to produce.
It was shot on 35mm film.
Old 08-23-07, 09:20 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 13,246
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madcougar
I REALLY, REALLY need to stop buying season sets. I understand what some people are saying about if the sales aren't there they won't make anymore, but I refuse to be the joker who makes these super deluxe sets possible and then can't justify buying them and enjoying them because he has all the seasons already.

I purposely held out on Angel and it looks like it's going to finally pay off for me.
I think that it is more of a question of:
"Is the TV show important to you or the packaging that the DVDs come in?" How many TV shows released on DVD is the difference between individual season boxsets and series boxsets the packaging? How many have content exclusive to the series set (and not available in season sets)?

Whenever a series boxset is announced, the 2 big questions are: Is the content the same? Will the box be available separately?

When there are shows that I have purposed to buy the entire series, then I buy the seasons as they are released (or shortly after, especially if there is a price drop). I could give a flip if the "Super Deluxe Series Set" comes with additional "special features". "Extras" are just that, extras.

I've seen far too many of my friends fall into the DVD release hype... they are initially attracted to a release because it is one of their favorite shows, but then their focus shifts to the collector's edition, limited edition, and other marketing hoo-ha so much so that the show itself becomes secondary.

There's nothing wrong with someone focusing more on the medium than the content, but at least let's be honest about it.
Old 08-23-07, 10:25 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,894
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
It was shot on 35mm film.
I can wait 5 more years until the complete collection comes out on Blu-Ray.
Old 08-23-07, 11:08 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,429
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkhawk
It's not worth buying individual season sets anymore. With Cheers, Frasier, ect... about to release their final seasons on dvd, There will most likely be a box set for the entire season released. Example: Friends, Sex in the City and M*A*S*H.
If you can wait, it definitely is a better deal in the end to just go with the complete series. No one should be surprised with news of the complete set being released. And I definitely could wait on these because it gets its fair share of syndication play. This is a must-own someday for me.
Old 08-23-07, 11:28 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 1,331
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seinfeld is the greatest show ever and I am thrilled that I will be able to own all of the episodes uncut very soon. I will buy the final season when it is released, but I am not sure if I will buy the complete series. It depends on how good the extas are. However, it might go on my chritmas wish list.
Old 08-23-07, 11:40 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 897
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkhawk
It's not worth buying individual season sets anymore. With Cheers, Frasier, ect... about to release their final seasons on dvd, There will most likely be a box set for the entire season released. Example: Friends, Sex in the City and M*A*S*H.
My feelings exactly. Not only do they eventually release a nicer product, but it often times costs considerably less than bargain hunting for each individual season. It kills me to see the deals available to the complete Friends, although thankfully I was able to get the box on that one. Still, I spent a lot of wasted time doing rebates and watching for deals on the indivdual seasons.

Sopranos is already much cheaper than it used to be (I remember when $50 a season was a deal) and the final "complete box set" hasn't even been announced yet.
Old 08-23-07, 11:57 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Why do people still buy individual sets of series that are dead and gone when this has been proven time and time again?
Because I don't want to have to wait years for the complete boxset to come out to watch the show while individual sets come out.

The studios should just release the complete series right off the bat.
Old 08-23-07, 12:28 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Home of the Maize & Blue (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
Posts: 1,119
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joliom
I don't really care. I'm happy just to get the Season 9 set. If they make the bonus disc available separately, then I might grab it. Otherwise, no worries.

Same here, i will have to see that bonus disc roundtable discussion though if netflix somehow gets it.
Old 08-23-07, 12:39 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,793
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbook
Same here, i will have to see that bonus disc roundtable discussion though if netflix somehow gets it.
i feel pretty much the same way. as a huge fan of the series who has bought each season the week of release, i'm not losing much sleep over this. i'm thankful that all of the season sets have gotten such great treatment and i'm excited to complete the entire series.

with all of the extras on the existing DVDs, i simply don't see much of a need for the bonus dvd or the coffee table book, though i would be curious to have a look at them. with these kinds of gift sets, i often have to step back and ask myself, "would i buy those bonus items separately if they were available?" and the answer is usually, "no."
Old 08-23-07, 12:41 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Posts: 1,640
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have too many of the individual seasons to purchase this. Usually, if I'm more than halfway through buying the individual seasons, I won't bother selling them off for the complete series. Ex- Just sold seasons 1 and 2 of Angel, because I still needed 3 more seasons, and the complete series box is cheap anyway. I own all 9 seasons of the X-Files (original releases), which I am getting rid of to get the complete set, only because they're badly scratched and some discs don't play (I have my room mate to thank for that).

Most other complete sets that are coming out, I'm very happy with my individual seasons to pick them up.
Old 08-23-07, 02:32 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,504
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Hmm. Don't see it happening for:

NewsRadio
OZ
Coupling (UK)
Queer as Folk (US)
Three's Company
Roseanne


Shall I continue?

Please continue. What makes you think Newsradio, Oz, Queer as Folk, Three's Company & Roseanne won't eventually have Complete Season sets? Is this your opinion or something you have read. Please elaborate. DVD still has many years ahead and the studios have many years of milking to do. I would be very surprised if the titles you mentioned don't eventually find their way to complete sets. (and hopefully Three's a Crowd will be thrown in as a bonus)

Okay, you got me on Coupling (UK). Don't see a high demand for that one as the others you mentioned but you never know. Hell, there is a complete set for Land of the Lost so you never can tell.

I do agree with one of the posters that said they should come out with complete sets right off the bat. But that takes time and the studio wants your money now. Better to get it slowly over the years and then go for the double dip than wait.

I can understand buying little-watched, weird or rare TV shows indivdually to show support. I did that with Land of the Lost because I frankly never thought they would go past the 1st season. But can people here really say that never saw a Seinfeld complete box coming? C'mon.
Old 08-23-07, 03:48 PM
  #40  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you do is sell your previous season sets on Amazon.com Marketplace. I've done that with every show I had that announced a complete series set, Everybody Loves Raymond, Star Trek: TNG, Family Guy, The Sopranos, etc. It takes very little time, and you can make money towards the complete series instead of complaining. When I found out about the Seinfeld set Tuesday that's exactly what I did. I've already sold all 7 sets and gotten over $100. That may not be what I originally paid for them, but it's more than I would have gotten with them sitting on my shelve doing nothing. It's also a significant part of the price for the complete set. Better than having to find $280, and better than complaining.
Old 08-23-07, 06:21 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
madcougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,690
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sracer
I think that it is more of a question of:
"Is the TV show important to you or the packaging that the DVDs come in?" How many TV shows released on DVD is the difference between individual season boxsets and series boxsets the packaging? How many have content exclusive to the series set (and not available in season sets)?

Whenever a series boxset is announced, the 2 big questions are: Is the content the same? Will the box be available separately?

When there are shows that I have purposed to buy the entire series, then I buy the seasons as they are released (or shortly after, especially if there is a price drop). I could give a flip if the "Super Deluxe Series Set" comes with additional "special features". "Extras" are just that, extras.

I've seen far too many of my friends fall into the DVD release hype... they are initially attracted to a release because it is one of their favorite shows, but then their focus shifts to the collector's edition, limited edition, and other marketing hoo-ha so much so that the show itself becomes secondary.

There's nothing wrong with someone focusing more on the medium than the content, but at least let's be honest about it.
With regard to this particular release, I think the book and the reunion show would be nice to have. I usually don't give a flip about extras like those included in the first couple of seasons of Seinfeld. But things like the book and reunion are things that to me at least, would be very cool to have since I did indeed love this show.

To add insult to injury, let's look at the Angel box set that was announced. If you bought all five seasons as they came out, you probably spent about $200. Now you can probably find the box set for about $100 if you shop around a little. Same applies to Sienfeld.
Old 08-23-07, 06:47 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Posts: 1,640
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bumizitch
What you do is sell your previous season sets on Amazon.com Marketplace. I've done that with every show I had that announced a complete series set, Everybody Loves Raymond, Star Trek: TNG, Family Guy, The Sopranos, etc. It takes very little time, and you can make money towards the complete series instead of complaining. When I found out about the Seinfeld set Tuesday that's exactly what I did. I've already sold all 7 sets and gotten over $100. That may not be what I originally paid for them, but it's more than I would have gotten with them sitting on my shelve doing nothing. It's also a significant part of the price for the complete set. Better than having to find $280, and better than complaining.

Unless I missed something, when did they announce a complete series set for The Sopranos? And Family Guy is not truly a complete series set--the show is still running...therefore, there will be more individual seasons that aren't included in the set that's coming out.

Plus, I don't really understand the logic. You have the whole complete series sitting on your shelf in individual seasons...so you get $100 (or a little more) for them. Ok, great...but if you take that off the price of the set, you still have to come up with $180. So, you're repurchasing what you already had, and paying $180 for packaging and/or some extra content?

Last edited by Sabrett; 08-23-07 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 07:04 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,096
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is cool, but I won't be getting it. The individual seasons are good enough for me.
Old 08-23-07, 07:21 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,027
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
It was shot on 35mm film.
Plus, it was mastered in HD so it would be a candidate for BD. I just hope they don't fuck with the aspect ratio as that would be a no sale for me.
Old 08-23-07, 07:29 PM
  #45  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabrett
Unless I missed something, when did they announce a complete series set for The Sopranos?
It wasn't announced per se, but during a recent HBO press conference announcing a different set ws asked. A question about a Sopranos complete set, and they said "next fall". I think the exact words were "be sure to save lot of money for next Thanksgiving". And we all know it's inevitable anyway.
Old 08-23-07, 07:31 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Posts: 1,640
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bumizitch
It wasn't announced per se, but during a recent HBO press conference announcing a different set ws asked. A question about a Sopranos complete set, and they said "next fall". I think the exact words were "be sure to save lot of money for next Thanksgiving". And we all know it's inevitable anyway.
Ah, okay. Just making sure I didn't miss something
Old 08-23-07, 07:32 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,422
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a business standpoint it makes no sense for them to release CS boxes instead of individual season sets since most people will scoff at a $200 price tag, but rationalize a series of separate $40 purchases. And I understand why they follow the individual seasons with CS boxes - it's a way to draw in holdout customers who never bought the seasons sets, but might be swayed if they can get the whole shabang in one shot with a few frills; you can squeeze a few more $ out of die-hard fans who just have to have the "best" or most collectible version available; and it helps boost your gift purchases (especially around the holidays). But I think it sucks that they don't make a point of showing some respect to the people who made the TV-on-DVD campaign a success to begin with by providing some sort of option for them to purchase the big, mega box and the other exclusive content separately. Even if you had to pay $10 to get all that stuff, I don't think most people would complain. Then, the extra $10 could be justified as an early acquisition premium since they would have the seasons to enjoy long before the people who wait and buy only the CS set.
Old 08-23-07, 08:12 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Posts: 1,640
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joliom
From a business standpoint it makes no sense for them to release CS boxes instead of individual season sets since most people will scoff at a $200 price tag, but rationalize a series of separate $40 purchases. And I understand why they follow the individual seasons with CS boxes - it's a way to draw in holdout customers who never bought the seasons sets, but might be swayed if they can get the whole shabang in one shot with a few frills; you can squeeze a few more $ out of die-hard fans who just have to have the "best" or most collectible version available; and it helps boost your gift purchases (especially around the holidays). But I think it sucks that they don't make a point of showing some respect to the people who made the TV-on-DVD campaign a success to begin with by providing some sort of option for them to purchase the big, mega box and the other exclusive content separately. Even if you had to pay $10 to get all that stuff, I don't think most people would complain. Then, the extra $10 could be justified as an early acquisition premium since they would have the seasons to enjoy long before the people who wait and buy only the CS set.

I agree. The only ones who did it right so far was Warner Bros with Friends. Cost me $20 (including shipping), for that box and it was well well worth it. I wish they would still do that.
Old 08-23-07, 09:21 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
yourlocalcinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 420
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have all 8 so far and I'll buy the 9th. I won't double dip on the box, but I really hope I can get my hands on the disc with that reunion special, whether it's legitimately offered by Sony, or whether I eventually find it on eBay.
Old 08-23-07, 09:46 PM
  #50  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by animatedude
yes i'll start the bitching and moaning this time.i always hate it when someone complains that a "complete set" is announced but this time it's different because SONY released 2 Seinfeld "limited" gift sets,so i hade to buy those 2 sets.what about someone like me who spent all that money on those 2 boxsets? they better have a way for letting consumers like me have the following:

1)that 226-page coffee-table book.
2)and the box that will house all the 9 seasons.(including a space for the 2 gift sets)


thanks.
Wow, you are dreaming buddy. THIS THE EXACT REASON THOUGH THAT NO ONE SHOULD BE THE FAMILY GUY SET.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.