Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Seinfeld Box Set Announced

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Seinfeld Box Set Announced

Old 08-23-07, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geist
See, I'm going to hold off now and wait for them to release this in HD. No sense in triple-dipping.

I'll order the extra parts separately in Dreamy Dreamworld where they do that for people.

This like me saying I am going to wait for them to release the Bosom Buddies on HD. I really wonder where you people get this stuff from?? Dreamy Dreamworld would also have a Seinfeld on HD.
Old 08-23-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm conflicted here....I'm a HUGE fan of the show, but I have literally seen every episode at least 20 times. It's been in syndication for years, and will be for all time. Do I really need to drop $200 on a big bulky box I may rarely watch?

I have Sex and the City, Twin Peaks, and will be buying Sopranos next year, and am considering Northern Exposure, but these shows aren't in syndication (in their original form) or are rarely shown.
Old 08-23-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not too crazy about the set. I think they could've done better, but I'm a sucker for seinfeld and I'll more than likely get the set.
Old 08-24-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok ok i don't want that book....just gimme a box to house all the seasons damn it!
Old 08-24-07, 05:02 PM

Why do people still buy individual sets of series that are dead and gone when this has been proven time and time again?
Because I like to own them when released.

I've had seasons 1-8 of SEINFELD all bought on or around release date. I'm selling all of them right now, and will likely make about the cost of this "complete series" set when all is said and done.

If you sell your existing sets you usually break even, which isn't a big deal at all. I made a $50 profit when I sold my 7 BUFFY seasons for the complete series set, and I'll make a profit on ANGEL as well. I'm getting rid of my X-Files sets to make way for the ULTIMATE set, same for SIX FEET UNDER.

I really don't get it. People are just too lazy to dump their old ones in favor of upgrading.

PS, Anchor Bay will probably release a complete series set for ROSEANNE (they are the kings of double-dipping...) and a Queer As Folk set is all but announced already.

If you own Seinfeld seasons 1-8, get on EBAY, get rid of your sets. You'd have to sell them for less than $18.xx or so per season to match the cost of the new box.
Old 08-24-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I'm conflicted here....I'm a HUGE fan of the show, but I have literally seen every episode at least 20 times. It's been in syndication for years, and will be for all time. Do I really need to drop $200 on a big bulky box I may rarely watch?

I have Sex and the City, Twin Peaks, and will be buying Sopranos next year, and am considering Northern Exposure, but these shows aren't in syndication (in their original form) or are rarely shown.
Good point. It's not a heavily edited show like Sex & the City or The Sopranos, a show with killer cinematography and eye-popping visuals like Lost or Battlestar Galactica, or something that hardly ever sees the light of day in syndication like Twin Peaks. So I guess it depends on how much you like the show and value immediate gratification. I like having the sets and knowing that anytime I get the hankering, I can fire up the DVD and not have to be at the mercy of a broadcast schedule or wade through commercials. Also, if I really want to watch a particular episode or show it to a friend or something, I can. I don't have to settle for whatever episode they happen to be showing that day.
Old 08-24-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
If you own Seinfeld seasons 1-8, get on EBAY, get rid of your sets. You'd have to sell them for less than $18.xx or so per season to match the cost of the new box.
Not quite, Mr. Simpleton...

Seinfeld 1-8 = 7 Boxed Sets
7 Sets x $18 = $126
$126 - Listing Fees - Final Value Fees - Paypal Fees = around $100

Please let us know where we can buy the new set for $100

P.S. the only season of Seinfeld selling consistently for $18 or more is Season 8. You would get < $18 for each of the other sets unless you got very lucky.
Old 08-24-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7928

Pictures of the box, inside and out...
Old 08-24-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i kinda prefer the gift sets... they just look nicer to me...
Old 08-24-07, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
This like me saying I am going to wait for them to release the Bosom Buddies on HD. I really wonder where you people get this stuff from?? Dreamy Dreamworld would also have a Seinfeld on HD.

WTF are you talking about?

SEINFELD is going to be released on an HD format. What the trend with Complete Series box sets turns out to be with HD when all the seasons have been put out on DVD already remains to be seen, but I'll be watching what happens with SOPRANOS very carefully.

But make no mistake, even if the actual image quality isn't much of an improvement over DVD, it's not If, but When.
Old 08-25-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I can't believe people are complaining about this. Do you buy DVDs to watch or to display on your shelves? You will go five years without watching your favorite show because that way you get some piece of crap packaging to show off? What about all the utility lost from not having actually enjoyed the show over all those years?

Collectors and their packaging.
Well with Seinfeld, you can't go more than a few hours without an episode being on TV.
Old 08-25-07, 08:52 AM

Here's a question. This may be slightly off topic and may should even be posted in the HD forum. But with so much gig space on HD. Will they just release complete season sets(Seinfeld etc) or at least put one season on a disc or 2?

Alot of these shows are old and i'm sure many won't be remastered. I hope they dont insult our intelligence by releases the same count of discs as they do with SD dvds. Put aside extras 4-8 gig and 25-50 gig are a HUGE difference.

Or (sigh) as we know it's all about money. Not to get too technical. Because i honestly don't know too much with the specifics. But does it take an extra 40 gig to make a a pristine HD(1080p) version of a movie or tv show?

Last edited by Rainet; 08-25-07 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-25-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

meh,that box looks so boring.
Old 08-25-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pass..i already bought most of the seasons. they can keep the book but i would be interested in the bonus disc if offered seperately.
Old 08-25-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The ĎComplete Seriesí packaging does look alright inside & even through the black looks classy, I prefer the look of the packaging of the individual seasons. Plus all in all, I picked up the individual seasons at a cheaper price in the long run & even through I didnít pick up the sets until recently (I used to hate Seinfeld), itís much nicer to buy seasons of TV shows, season-by-season. Plus laying down $300 for one big set in one day probably wouldnít be possible for me.

About the people waiting for Seinfeld the HD treatment, why? Likely they will be the same amount of discs (maybe 1 or 2 less) & the picture isnít going to look much better than it already does on the SD DVDs.
Old 08-25-07, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Well with Seinfeld, you can't go more than a few hours without an episode being on TV.
Where I live you most certainly can
Old 08-25-07, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde
Where I live you most certainly can
Seinfeld is definitely over-syndicated to say the least. I donít think it will ever stop airing 90 times a day. M*A*S*H & The Golden Girls donít even get as much syndication time anymore.
Old 08-25-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dollfins1
pass..i already bought most of the seasons. they can keep the book but i would be interested in the bonus disc if offered seperately.
Same here. Also, while the book appears interesting, it will simply sit on a shelf, gather dust and rarely be seen. Having collected the first eight seasons already, it is more of a hassle to sell them off in anticipation of acquiring this set imho.
Old 08-25-07, 11:47 AM

Bigger look at the art

Old 08-25-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, after seeing that picture I'm not sure I'd even want this complete set. Sure, I'd like to have the book and bonus DVD, but I don't like the looks of the housing for the discs at all. It doesn't look as bad as some big sets, but it does look a bit awkward.
Old 08-25-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't understand the use of black color in this packaging.how about yellow and blue like the giftsets?
Old 08-25-07, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
Plus laying down $300 for one big set in one day probably wouldnít be possible for me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this street at most retailers and online shops at about $200. I can see that price at a Costco.
Old 08-25-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tikigod
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this street at most retailers and online shops at about $200. I can see that price at a Costco.
yeah probably $180 or $185, I'd imagine.
Old 08-25-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mayorofsmpleton
...and I'll make a profit on ANGEL as well.
Can I ask how? I see Angel the complete set is about $100 on Amazon...you are going to get $20+ for each Season after shipping/fees etc? The sets are $16.99 BRAND NEW at most stores now. Please tell me how as I would love to dump my original Angel sets.
Old 08-25-07, 06:20 PM

Not quite, Mr. Simpleton...

Seinfeld 1-8 = 7 Boxed Sets
7 Sets x $18 = $126
$126 - Listing Fees - Final Value Fees - Paypal Fees = around $100

Please let us know where we can buy the new set for $100

P.S. the only season of Seinfeld selling consistently for $18 or more is Season 8. You would get < $18 for each of the other sets unless you got very lucky.
Let's break it down.

If you sell each season on Ebay for 13.00 a piece with $8.00 shipping per item and ship them media mail, that's about 19.00 per set in profit.

19.00 x 7 = 133.00
-25.00 (listing fees, etc)

The set is retailing for $283.95, meaning Deepdiscount.com will likely have it for about 30% off -- 198.77

Assuming they do their Nov. 20% off sale... - $159.01

Subtract what season 9 would have been on release date (32.xx or so on sale?) 129.01

So you're paying about 21 bucks for the packaging and coffee table book... that's IF you sell the sets at ebay's current prices.

So perhaps you don't completely break even, but you nearly cover the cost of the set depending on where you buy it from.

It depends on the series. Seinfeld has been available for cheap prices for a while, and was already a big seller, so demand on ebay isn't as high.

Certain shows (Six Feet Under, Buffy, Angel) have complete series sets that are wildly cheap. My five seasons of Six Feet Under brought me about 150.00 in profit on ebay, and I got the Complete Series set for about 140.00.

Buffy got me 160+ and that set was only 111.xx.

Seasons 1-5 of ANGEL gave me about 100.00 in profit, and that series set will be around 85.00 during the DeepDiscount sale.

Point is, avoiding buying individual seasons isn't really ideal because they might not ever release a complete set. But in most cases you can break even or make a tiny profit by trading up to a complete series set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.