Classic Sci-Fi Collection Volume 2 & Horror collection -- 11 Sept

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by JerryKILL
Could this be the Sci Fi collection???
Best Buy Sci Fi
Hmmmm that's possible. The description is close and the price is correct.
Old 09-16-07, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I placed an order for both. I feel fairly confident that is the Sci Fi release, the title, release date, and price all make sense. Why does BB have to make this so difficult? BTW, the nearest BB store is over a 3-hour drive from me, otherwise I would have gone out and bought it that way.
Old 09-16-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does BB have to make this so difficult?
It just boggles the mind that a business... that wants to make money... would make an exclusive release of theirs so messed up. It's like they're embarrassed by releasing it.
Old 09-17-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched 3 of the movies over the weekend, including Dr. Cyclops and whatever the other movie on that disc is called. No skipping or any other problems, and I was watching on an old CH 300 I have in the bedroom. If there was going to be an issue with the disc, this would've been the player to pick it up.
Old 09-17-07, 01:15 PM
Zbu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
It just boggles the mind that a business... that wants to make money... would make an exclusive release of theirs so messed up. It's like they're embarrassed by releasing it.
I'm guessing they want people to come in and buy it to encourage more spur-of-the-moment sales instead of just having people special order it, have it shipped, and then not bothering with Best Buy at all.
Old 09-17-07, 10:58 PM

I think people are over-thinking this. Its called a SCREW-UP. It's not like this is a HUGE deal for them. 10,000 or whatever units they sell of these is a drop in the bucket. The marketing people screwed up on a UPC number, didn't get it on the website right, etc. That all it really amounts to. Its not like a huge amount of thought goes into these things.
Old 09-18-07, 06:48 AM

I agree. If they'd followed the same pattern with the Horror set I'd have said that it was a deliberate marketing ploy to get people into the bricks and mortar stores in the hope they'd impulse buy other things whilst they are there.

But the fact that the sci-fi set popped up an odd few days later (but with no details like content or cover art), and that even more significantly, the Horror set has become available for pre-order several weeks before release (what I would call "normal")...points to a screwup in the marketing.

I can't believe that Best Buy would go to all the bother and expense of getting an exclusive and then not even bothering to advertise it (be interesting to see if either set makes it into the Sunday flyers).
Old 09-18-07, 09:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
I can't believe that Best Buy would go to all the bother and expense of getting an exclusive and then not even bothering to advertise it (be interesting to see if either set makes it into the Sunday flyers).
Agreed, but we don't really know how the exclusive arrangement works in these particular cases.

It is possible that Best Buy is not paying to have the exclusive, or that they are even being paid by Universal.
Old 09-18-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Agreed, but we don't really know how the exclusive arrangement works in these particular cases.

It is possible that Best Buy is not paying to have the exclusive, or that they are even being paid by Universal.
My bet is Universal used up front money from Best Buy to produce the dvds and the number made is about what the front money would pay for. Best Buy is probably breaking even using these sets to draw you into the store. There's probably a secondary promotion involved that benefits Universal or they wouldn't bother with it.
Old 09-18-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI, for those that struck out on release day, you might want to check back. When I went to a Best Buy on release day the guy said the set wasn't even in their system.

Today I was there for Death Proof and I was curious.... sure enough, there were 20 sets sitting on the shelf.
Old 09-18-07, 10:49 PM

These disc packages are important to us as film afficianodos, but they are one of may products in a virtual SEA of items that are treated in a like fashion. Its not a reflection of the products themselves, its just the way it is. We are lucky they put it out in the first place. Outside of a small number of us these just are not going to be selling a lot of units. DEATH PROOF will probably sell more on release day alone in Southern California than both volumes of these SCI FI collections combined TOTAL until they go out of print.

The best thing to do would be help some of the other forum folks in getting copies who simply don't have access....
Old 09-21-07, 05:13 PM

Link? I've been searching and do not see it at the BB website.

I found the Universal horror release for Oct 2:
Best Buy Universal Horror

Best Buy Sci Fi
Received discs by mail from Best Buy today, and indeed that link is the one for Sci Fi Ultimate Collection Vol 2! I see BB put a picture and description up since my original post. At least it's not a shot in the dark placing an order.

Last edited by JerryKILL; 09-21-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's the disc set. And it's backordered now.
Old 09-30-07, 07:57 PM

Link? I've been searching and do not see it at the BB website.

I found the Universal horror release for Oct 2:
Best Buy Universal Horror

Best Buy Sci Fi
I started reading this thread to find out about the Horror collection and see that it is showing up on the Best Buy website. I went ahead and ordered one for instore pickup Tuesday.

I had already picked up the Classic Sci-Fi Collection Volume 2 at a local Best Buy but I clicked on the link above just to see what the Bestbuy.com listing looked and it says "SOLD OUT."

Is the Classic Sci-Fi Collection Volume 2 already sold out in stores as well?
Old 09-30-07, 09:21 PM

No more Classic Sci-Fi Collection Volume 2 at my BB.
Old 09-30-07, 09:32 PM

Saw 5 at my BB on 9-27-07.
Old 09-30-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spawndude
Saw 5 at my BB on 9-27-07.
Holy Shit! That's awesome. I'm still waiting for Saw 4.
Old 09-30-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sold out in all 4 of my local BB's.
Old 10-01-07, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Sold out in all 4 of my local BB's.
Still in stock in 12 of my local BB's.
Old 10-01-07, 03:55 AM

Thanks for that link, JerryKILL. I ordered it shortly after you posted it and received it last week. The Classic Horror Collection also shipped a few days ago, so it should be arriving any day now. Thanks again.
Old 10-01-07, 01:34 PM

Got the Horror Collection in the mail today from BB. A day before "street date", a nice surprise.

The time between my original post with the links and the first post reporting it as "sold out" was 7 days. A fairly small window of opportunity to buy this release (by mail order, at least). I think this marketing strategy of store "exclusives" is not good for the consumer. It was simply too difficult to get this release. I think this particular situation is being driven by the high prices that the Sci Fi Collection Vol 1 from last year is currently enjoying on the secondary market. Speculators are buying this year's releases in droves, making it harder for the average guy to find.
Old 10-01-07, 11:16 PM

Got the Horror Collection in the mail today from BB. A day before "street date", a nice surprise.

The time between my original post with the links and the first post reporting it as "sold out" was 7 days. A fairly small window of opportunity to buy this release (by mail order, at least). I think this marketing strategy of store "exclusives" is not good for the consumer. It was simply too difficult to get this release. I think this particular situation is being driven by the high prices that the Sci Fi Collection Vol 1 from last year is currently enjoying on the secondary market. Speculators are buying this year's releases in droves, making it harder for the average guy to find.
Yes, they are, but hang in there. I'm sure people are hoping to make a killing here but lightning isn't going to strike twice. I'm sure there will be a few Vol 2's that will go on eBay fairly high initially, but the market will be flooded with them shortly afterward and that will be that....but the first volume of the SCI FI collection will always be pretty hefty...unless Best Buy re-releases it.
Old 10-02-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Got my copy of the Horror set at the local BB that last month seemed unaware that Sci-Fi 2 even existed.

Maybe they got the if they make a product available to the consumer that wants it, the consumer will buy it thing figured out.

Last edited by mike7162; 10-02-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone had a chance to check out the quality of the DVDs for the horror set?
Old 10-02-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

got the horror set today, and they said 8 copies of the sci fi set were on the way for friday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.