Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Coppola) SE --> 10/2/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Fletch
I guess I won't be buying this title unless I hear some new info.
If you're doing it for the principle, then that's fine. But I have this disc and have seen the pixelation problem and really, it's barely noticeable. I would never have seen it if this forum didn't point out where it is and I stepped frame by frame to see it. If you're eager for this edition, don't let the pixel thing stop you.
Old 11-13-07, 03:18 PM
Banned

With the way dvd movies are released they will have another when this movie hits 20th annvi. and with original movie poster cover and different transfer.
So I'll wait a few more years.
Old 11-13-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It wasn't a title I really wanted that much. It's a great movie but not one to spend full price on a inferior product. If I find it at the pawn shop for $2 I will probably buy it.
Old 11-14-07, 10:45 AM

Emailed Sony again, heard this back:

We are still evaluating this inquiry. Thank you for your patience as we review this concern. We will reply when we have an answer to this issue.

If someone can come up with a phone number, that would be great. But I'll try emailing again too...

Also, I think how noticeable is the pixilation is up for debate. I find it very noticeable (and wouldn't have posted about it in the first place if I didn't). Obviously some people barely notice it, but others (including myself) find it to be very visible (especially since I noticed it by just watching the movie normally).

It's unfortunate that studios can put out defective product and not be held responsible for it. No matter how "bad" you think the issue is, it's a fact that it's there, and it certainly shouldn't be. The disc is defective -- that's a fact. It's up to each person whether or not they're okay with spending their hard earned money on a defective product. I would have just rented it if I knew about this issue firsthand. Hope that makes sense...
Old 11-16-07, 09:19 AM

Here's my response from Sony:

Thank you for your response.
We have tested copies of this title and are unable to duplicate the problem you noted. There is no freezing or pixelation in our copy. In order for us to properly test/replace your copy we would need for you to send it in. Our company policy will not allow us to replace any titles we do not receive first.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Old 11-17-07, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Damone
Here's my response from Sony:

Thank you for your response.
We have tested copies of this title and are unable to duplicate the problem you noted. There is no freezing or pixelation in our copy. In order for us to properly test/replace your copy we would need for you to send it in. Our company policy will not allow us to replace any titles we do not receive first.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I had a feeling this would be their response. They probably tested it on the best player out there (if they actually tested it). Those of us with regular $80 players are screwed.
Old 11-17-07, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by RD1973
I had a feeling this would be their response. They probably tested it on the best player out there (if they actually tested it). Those of us with regular $80 players are screwed.
Last I heard, they were "still looking into it". I will email again on Monday and post the reply. I'll also see if I can get a phone number... Whether it's the encoding or whatever, the discs are defective and they need to fix the problem.

I'm not hearing any fat lady singing yet...!
Old 11-20-07, 04:14 PM

Heard this back:

Dear Valued Consumer:

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

We are still in the process of evaluating your inquiry. Thank you for your patience as we review this concern. We will reply shortly.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,
Jim Hunter
SPHE Consumer Affairs Team
...that's the first time I got an actual name signed at the end of it. So, thinking positively, it looks like they're still looking into it. (Of course, they've been telling me that for three weeks now...)

If you email them and you are told that they can not duplicate the issue -- tell them that Jim Hunter has said that the issue is supposedly being looked into.

Keep those emails going to Sony!
Old 11-26-07, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by baracine
Thanks, but I found it myself. Here's the link: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=262992 Dr. Harris is gaga. And by reading between the lines I reconstructed what happened on HTF recently.

A very courageous guy named Dave Mack, who also posted his screen caps (photographs, really) on the DVDTalk - HD forum, called attention to the fact that this transfer was rather muddy and was immediately savaged by the usual HTF mob of sycophants - most of which had never seen the new transfer, just as I was for pointing out that the Platinum Edition of Peter Pan was also a piece of caca. He was banned as I was and the discussion forum was locked. This is HTF's usual circle-the-wagons reaction to any behaviour that might distract the consumer from the act of consuming and cause him to actually think and use his eyes

After Dr. Harris' rather disquieting but pious platitudes about the impossibility of transferring a film into the digital domain ("Let me say it loud and clear. THE STUDIOS ARE INCAPABLE OF REPRODUCING FILM ON VIDEO!") and the reaffirmation that no one can argue with an authority such as he, Mr. Mack was politely reinstated into the ranks of that august assembly with a stern warning to behave himself. The sycophants then put down their tea and crumpets, took out the lubricant and proceeded to organize a conciliatory circle jerk.

Nothing is revealed. Harris just confirmed that the DVD authors tried to follow the fabled answer print, which, for all we know, may have been half rotten or covered in bat guano. Mr. Harris didn't even deign to venture an opinion as to why all the colour values - except the flesh tones - were totally altered or why the shadow details he claims to see are only visible on his beautifully-appointed state-of-the-art system. Big friggin' deal!
Thank you, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
I'll take Mr. Harris' knowledege over some self-appointed film fanboy's opinion.

and umm, no. I am an NYU film school graduate who has actually SHOT film and worked in film, video and still photography for 20 years, Mr. Binks

Last edited by Davy Mack; 11-26-07 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-26-07, 08:39 AM

Here are some direct screen captures from Xylon at AVS, untweaked from the SB dvd and the new Blu Ray where you can clearly see the crushed blacks.

Here are xylon's shots made a bit smaller...

Just IMHO, the BD looks unnatural, processed, digital, flat and just bad.

I have a light cannon of a PJ, a mits hc3000 and turning up the "brightness" here, even all the way does not reveal the writing, it's just gone.
And what was confirmed was that a "REP" from Zoetrope relayed Coppolla's wishes for the tranfer to the people doing it. AFAIK, he himself was NOT there and didn't "personally" supervise it.

More caps here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=925329&page=7

Last edited by Davy Mack; 11-26-07 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-26-07, 02:20 PM

I thought this was a dead issue at this point. I think everyone agrees that the new disc(s) is much darker compared to the SuperBit transfer (which I finally just bought a week back, and it is a fine disc indeed). Is this still about whether or not this is Coppola's intended presentation?
Old 11-26-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Carcosa
I thought this was a dead issue at this point. I think everyone agrees that the new disc(s) is much darker compared to the SuperBit transfer (which I finally just bought a week back, and it is a fine disc indeed). Is this still about whether or not this is Coppola's intended presentation?

I don't know. I have both the Superbit and the new one on standard DVD and I think the new one is a huge improvement. I don't have access to the negatives nor do I have a screening room where I can check out a 35 mm print.

But, I don't think aesthetics is the issue. I think there are a couple guys really turned on by the idea of a conspiracy to keep a good transfer from the masses. They really sound a bit obsessed with the perceived injustice of the big studios and DVD remastering or something. They're getting all Fox Mulder on us.
Old 11-26-07, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I don't know. I have both the Superbit and the new one on standard DVD and I think the new one is a huge improvement. I don't have access to the negatives nor do I have a screening room where I can check out a 35 mm print.

But, I don't think aesthetics is the issue. I think there are a couple guys really turned on by the idea of a conspiracy to keep a good transfer from the masses. They really sound a bit obsessed with the perceived injustice of the big studios and DVD remastering or something. They're getting all Fox Mulder on us.
Yeah, I agree. The whole uproar had pretty much wound down I thought. If the point of discussion is that the SuperBit looks better than the new disc...well, its all a matter of one's preference and thats about it. If its back to the whole "conspiracy" thing, its really just beating a dead horse.
Old 11-26-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I have a Denon DVD-3910, and the DVD exhibits the same pixilation issues on it as described by others.
Old 11-27-07, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I have a Denon DVD-3910, and the DVD exhibits the same pixilation issues on it as described by others.
So they are officially playing dumb. It only takes a few minutes to notice the pixelation issue, and we started emailing Sony weeks ago.
Old 11-27-07, 07:19 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lamphorn
I didn't mean to scare you. For what it's worth, I don't think there is a conspiracy afoot. Just a plain old story of incompetence, ignorance, faulty product, shoddy handiwork, covering one's ass and passing the buck to the only guy who won't and can't tell, Francis Ford Coppola, busy making a film in the jungles of Brazil.
Old 11-27-07, 11:17 AM

I did discover something interesting when I was doing a comparson check of the SuperBit edition against the new disc.

I have two seperate DVD players attached to my system and the picture actually varies a great deal between them. I don't mean slightly, but considerable. Each disc looks much different from one player to the other. They are both connected the exact same way to my home theatre unit.

I really didn't expect this.
Old 11-27-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
I did discover something interesting when I was doing a comparson check of the SuperBit edition against the new disc.

I have two seperate DVD players attached to my system and the picture actually varies a great deal between them. I don't mean slightly, but considerable. Each disc looks much different from one player to the other. They are both connected the exact same way to my home theatre unit.

I really didn't expect this.
Wouldn't that be true of any DVD you tried this with?
Old 11-27-07, 06:09 PM

Yes...the comment wasn't specific to the Dracula discs....I was just surprised that the player output would be so different from one to another.
Old 12-06-07, 06:15 PM

Major Update (of sorts)...

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Good to know. All the dvds are apparently defective in this way, IMO.

So they are officially playing dumb. It only takes a few minutes to notice the pixelation issue, and we started emailing Sony weeks ago.
Fear not! Officially, they have acknowledged the issue! I just basically asked for a direct *non*-form letter response and I heard back the following:

Dear Valued Customer,

The discs are currently being looked at by our software technician. I know for a fact that there have been some problems with this particular DVD. They are currently looking over the possible solutions that they can offer you in order to make sure that you get the best possible service that we can offer. I apologize for the length of time that this has been taking. However, as I stated before there are also many other titles with the same problem that the technicians are currently looking into.

If you could just be patient a little while longer while this problem is worked out we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your continued support.

Regards,
Jim Hunter
SPHE Consumer Affairs Team
So they DO know it is an issue with this dvd! And not only that, but there are also other titles with the same issue! (However, he did not mention that prior to this email as he states.) So it looks like there will be some kind of resolution to this issue eventually.

I'm glad I posted about it in the first place and got all you folks to check your dvds for the issue. Thanks for doing so and for also emailing Sony to report it. I knew being annoyingly over-observant would have to be a benefit one of these days... Do I get a DVD Talk gold star for bringing up the issue?

I will definitely post as soon as I hear back more...

Have a good weekend everyone.

(Edit: I also wanted to add -- if anyone gets the BS reply from Sony that they can't duplicate the issue, please email them back and include the above email I posted from Jim Hunter. Thanks!)

Last edited by bloomcounty; 12-07-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-07-07, 01:06 PM

Change of topic about the picture problem...

I have just finished listening to Coppola's commentary. I have always enjoy his comment on other DVD and had high expectation. But I was surprised:

1.) He said he have not watched it since original release. Many time, he said "there were so many things going on in the movie..." sounds like he had difficulty making comment.

2.) He said he forget how some of the scenses were put together...

(maybe this explain why this DVD looks so different? if he did approved the new transfer...)

3.) Sounds like this is not really his favourite movie. He said that, the reason he made it, along with Godfather 3, was to pay-off his debt. Since then he taken care of his debt and became more successful with his wine business, he wanted to take movie-making as a "hobby".... I guess this means he will only make movie the way he wants it...well, in that case, I would love to hear what he have to say about "Jack"...

Anyway it is still very rewarding listening to such honest/frank comments (he even mentoned that he started at the "wrong foot" with Anthony Hopkins during pre-production,) comparing to most of the "kiss-ass" comments on other DVD. But Coppola did sounds like a granddad to me now...

Last edited by tsetse27; 12-07-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 03:39 AM

So at the end of the day, which is the best version to get if you don't have ANY version at all....the Superbit, the new SE DVD or the Blu-ray version?
Old 12-09-07, 06:08 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OutRun2
So at the end of the day, which is the best version to get if you don't have ANY version at all....the Superbit, the new SE DVD or the Blu-ray version?
Old 12-09-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by OutRun2
It's an entirely subjective determination regarding which transfer is "best." Some like the new SE and BD transfer, some prefer the Superbit's transfer. There's really no definitive way for any of us to determine which transfer you would prefer.

The new SE and BD do contain bonus features, and of course the BD has higher resolution. So you may want to take those factors into consideration as well.
Old 12-09-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tsetse27
3.) Sounds like this is not really his favourite movie. He said that, the reason he made it, along with Godfather 3, was to pay-off his debt. Since then he taken care of his debt and became more successful with his wine business, he wanted to take movie-making as a "hobby".... I guess this means he will only make movie the way he wants it...well, in that case, I would love to hear what he have to say about "Jack"...
Not that it explains the shittiness of Jack, but I believe Coppola said the main reason he made that film was because he could relate to Williams' character, a boy who has an incurable disease, since as a kid he had polio, which confined him to his bed for a good chunk of his childhood.

And for the record, the original Godfather was also a "pay-off-your-debt" movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.