Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alternatives to DVDaficionado?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, what happened to dvdaficionado, by the way? I just had to re-register, it's called Film Talk now, and I don't even see where I'm supposed to put my DVDs in (not that I wanted to do that over again in the first place). It just looks like a message board now. Way to ruin something good, idiots.
Old 06-07-07, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Okay, what happened to dvdaficionado, by the way? I just had to re-register, it's called Film Talk now, and I don't even see where I'm supposed to put my DVDs in (not that I wanted to do that over again in the first place). It just looks like a message board now. Way to ruin something good, idiots.
Was just coming online to ask the same thing, went to update with a few titles I recieved over the passed couple of days and found the message board.

It was all as usual a few days back!
Old 06-07-07, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The server has shut down now for the old site (RIP).
Old 06-07-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
They didn't transfer my titles over, so I'm using this as an opportunity to use a better site.
Old 06-07-07, 11:26 AM

Am I missing something or just can't see it...I have no option on the new 2.0 site to add movies at all.
Old 06-07-07, 12:53 PM

Wow, 2.0 migrated a totally different collection than the one I have and had listed in 1.0. I think I'll go with DVDSpot for now.
Old 06-07-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Muad'Dib
Am I missing something or just can't see it...I have no option on the new 2.0 site to add movies at all.
On the left hand side under the Logo there should appear a pop up that follows your cursor. On that pop up there should appear a "Menu". Click on the menu and your lists should appear there.

I think this is only if you have already migrated you lists.
Old 06-07-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
I'm already missing the old 'nado

Old 06-07-07, 01:12 PM

I was confused myself at first about the change. But once I migrated everything over, everything was golden (don't forget that you need to change the user name in the link provided on the main page to access your collection. It has some guy with the screen name of ash. I got confused about that myself).

I like the fact that you can now search key words that exist on every DVD entry from within your collection as well as the site. Like for instance if there is a DISCONTINUED in the publisher info, you can click it and see what OOP DVD's you have in your collection or on the entire database. I also like the icon on the left that follows your cursor that gives the option to scroll to the top or bottom of the screen as well as getting into your menus. saves time when trying to organize things.

I do, however, miss the color coding on the text that went with your owned and wishlist DVD's. But the descriptions do now have the release date and where the DVD is in your collection in green right under the title.

I always liked DVDAF, so the changes make it that much better. I like to use it cause it's very simple.
Old 06-07-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't even realize they were shutting down the old site. I've been trying for the past 24 hrs with no luck, then just a bit ago found my way to dvdaf.com and migrated my collection with ease. However, all the titles I've added the past couple days weren't migrated along my the collection, which is a little annoying but nothing I'll lose sleep over. Also don't like the little scrolling box that follows me up and down the page. Stop following me!
Old 06-07-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,252 Likes on 2,093 Posts
Just got done migrating my collection to DVDSpot. I still have a little tweaking to do but I guess this site will do.

I'm a bit too cheap to plop down $30 for Profiler.
Old 06-07-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got going on DVDSpot. It's good, takes some time to get use too.
Old 06-08-07, 01:20 AM

I'm in the process of migrating my collection to DVDSpot from DVDAF. Although DVDSpot has some flaws in my opinion, it still has more advantages than DVDAF.
Old 06-08-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts
as everyone else has said, I miss the old DVDAF.

looks like I'm going to start adding my collection onto DVD Spot.
Old 06-08-07, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The new dvdaf sucks! First off it's fugly. It no longer looks like a dvd tracking site, The shopping cart and coin icons now now make it look like the checkout page of a grade Z online store. The next problem is that separate folders can now only be accessed through drop down menus that falls off the bottom of my screen. I used to just be able to click on any folder from a list at the top of the page. Another beef I have is that they dumped everyone's star ratings simply because they decide to go from a 4 star sytem to a 5 star, Gee thanks.

Instead of calling this piece of shit dvdaf 2 they should go with dvdaf 0.5, because this is most certainly a pretty big step backwards.
Old 06-08-07, 03:37 AM

The problem is that they forced everyone to migrate way before the new site was done so they could shut down the old server and save money. So now everyone is on an incomplete, featureless, essentially beta service. They'll probably end up losing the majority of their business.
Old 06-08-07, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
The new address is www.dvdaf.com
Old 06-08-07, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib
They don't have that feature yet on this downgrade, I mean upgrade.
Old 06-08-07, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts
I finally finished migrating my DVD collection over to DVD Spot

Definitely liked the search engine over at DVDAF more, but I like everything else about DVD Spot.
Old 06-08-07, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I finally finished migrating my DVD collection over to DVD Spot
500 DVDs... How long did it take you?
Old 06-08-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Spot all the way. hands down the best one out there
Old 06-08-07, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by MScottM
On the left hand side under the Logo there should appear a pop up that follows your cursor. On that pop up there should appear a "Menu". Click on the menu and your lists should appear there.

I think this is only if you have already migrated you lists.
Yes, I have migrated my list, but there is no menu at all. All I get is this:

Support DVDAF by becoming a Star Member and by using our Quick Links: Amazon Amz.ca Amz.uk Amz.fr Amz.de Amz.jp Buy.com DeepDiscountDVD DVD-Empire DVD-Planet/DigitalEyes Overstock AllPosters

Home
My DVDs
owned
dvds-0-9
dvds-a-f
dvds-g-p
dvds-q-z
on-order
wish-list
anime-animation
criterion
documentaries
horror
mma-sports
music
tv-series
work
vhs
have-seen
trash-can
Old 06-08-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bugg
The next problem is that separate folders can now only be accessed through drop down menus that falls off the bottom of my screen. I used to just be able to click on any folder from a list at the top of the page.
Yep, this is very annoying, almost as much as the 50 disc per page limit.
Old 06-08-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
How is DVDSpot about bonus discs, like the extra discs at retailers? DVDAF used to allow some, then deleted all of them from the database, then started allowing them only if they have a matching IMDB entry, which is pretty restrictive.

I had mentioned a while back in the forums over there that I didn't like the new design a while back. When they asked for suggestions, I said leave it as is. When there was no progress for a while, I guess I just assumed nothing was happening. I really preferred the old look, and don't find the new one pleasant to use or look at at all.
Old 06-08-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There doesn't appear to be a way to have sub-folders -- or folders at all -- on DVD Spot. I liked having my collection broken out by genre and country, alphabetical within those folders. I don't want a full A-Z listing of everything together.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.