DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Robocop 20th Anniversary Edition - August 21

Old 08-17-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by crs
Wow that sounds like a major blooper. The Canadian version (without bilingual cover though) is shipping to me as we speak, I'll be hugely disappointed if they managed to do this error on every one of them.
I exchanged it today, and guess what - another DEFECT, exactly the same. Since they are mass-produced, it's no surprise.

This is complete bullshit.

The steel case is American, with a bilingual paper back cover (thankfully not glued or stuck on in any way), but the discs themselves have "Made In Canada" inside the inner rim of both discs.
Old 08-17-07, 07:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

well, i can positively say that both the Theatrical cut and the Extended Cut have DTS and it is booming!!! dunno about the transfers, but they both look very good. i just wish the commentary and most of the extras were on the Extended Cut...i mean i can't see me watching the inferior Theatrical...do you?
Old 08-18-07, 08:08 AM
Suspended

Can someone post pics of the steelbook? Thanks
Old 08-18-07, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I exchanged it today, and guess what - another DEFECT, exactly the same. Since they are mass-produced, it's no surprise.

The steel case is American, with a bilingual paper back cover (thankfully not glued or stuck on in any way), but the discs themselves have "Made In Canada" inside the inner rim of both discs.
Dag...even your second one was the same?! I'm definitely gonna wait a bit to pick it up, now. I'd rather wait for replacement shipments with corrected discs then go thru the exchange B.S.
Old 08-18-07, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by tacos
Can someone post pics of the steelbook? Thanks
just go to any online site. it pretty much looks exact, at least the front. no different than any other steelbook, cept the art.
Old 08-18-07, 04:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by scott1598
just go to any online site. it pretty much looks exact, at least the front. no different than any other steelbook, cept the art.
Ok, cool.
Old 08-18-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We are going to need some more info from other buyers on whether this is a national blunder or if it was just a bad batch. I've been waiting for this one for a long time and I'd hate to have to deal with the exchange garbage.
Old 08-18-07, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
We are going to need some more info from other buyers on whether this is a national blunder or if it was just a bad batch. I've been waiting for this one for a long time and I'd hate to have to deal with the exchange garbage.
i think they were just talking canadian, weren't they? mine bought in US was perfect- 2 different discs, one with theatrical + DTS, one with extended + DTS.
Old 08-18-07, 11:41 PM

I went to my Wal-mart (Coquitlam, BC) and didn't have them or I would have bough it, if it was the $15 as stated before. I'll try again on Tuesday.
Old 08-19-07, 01:39 AM

The discs themselves are Canadian made, so US buyers likely won't have any problems.

So the whole being in stores a week early thing was too good to be true.

Rather than exchange it for a potentially defective third, they refunded my money.
Old 08-19-07, 01:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This is mental illness-buying a third or fourth edition of so many discs.

Please pass me the Prozac.

actualy think i remember someone say they had read owning movies is considered 'obsessive/compulsive' in the DMHS manual....(the PDR for Psycholgists)
Old 08-19-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know what B&M's will have this one on Tue and for what price. I can;t seem to find any retailer offering this in their ad. I've checked Target, Best Buy, KMart, Circuit City.
Old 08-19-07, 04:36 PM
Suspended

19.99 at BB and 17.99 at CC. Not sure about all the other places.
Old 08-19-07, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Does anyone know what B&M's will have this one on Tue and for what price. I can;t seem to find any retailer offering this in their ad. I've checked Target, Best Buy, KMart, Circuit City.
i'm pretty sure BB and CC will have this as they have been on the ball with the other steelbook releases that came out the pipe the past few months. never really saw any steelbooks at Target.
Old 08-19-07, 07:09 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Still $15.99 @ Amazon and $16.01 shipped @ DeepDiscount.
Old 08-19-07, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Still $15.99 @ Amazon and $16.01 shipped @ DeepDiscount.
and $16.06 at DVD Planet.
Old 08-19-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm pretty sure BB and CC will have this as they have been on the ball with the other steelbook releases that came out the pipe the past few months. never really saw any steelbooks at Target.
I bought Texas Chainsaw Massacre steelbook from Target.
Old 08-19-07, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by cerial442
I bought Texas Chainsaw Massacre steelbook from Target.
yes, that one i still see there and "Boondock Saints" i think was there, but i don't think i ever saw the "Die Hard", "Fight Club", etc... re-releases.
Old 08-20-07, 08:53 AM

so someone remind me why (if at all) I should purchase this version, if I have the Criterion and Triple Disc version??
Old 08-20-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really hope that not all the Robocop anniversary discs available in Canada have identical content on both discs. Has anyone else picked up this release in Canada and experienced the problem?
Old 08-20-07, 09:10 AM

I only have the old Criterion release so I'm definitely picking this one up. Between this one and Die Hard 1 and 2 showing up a LOT on DirecTV lately, I've been reminded just how great the 80's were for action flicks.
Old 08-20-07, 09:15 AM

About why to buy this if you have the other releases:

That has been asked many times in this thread. The specs have been repeated, the opinions on image and sound quality have been repeated, all except the extras, which no one (except one person here) seems to have watched all of yet.

It's just reaching sarcastic levels now, so it's hard to tell if it's a genuine question or not.
Old 08-20-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, that one i still see there and "Boondock Saints" i think was there, but i don't think i ever saw the "Die Hard", "Fight Club", etc... re-releases.
Boondock Saints and TCM were new releases with new content, like Robocop (you know what I mean), so there is a strong chance they might have it.

I'm hoping they have it similar to Amazons pricing, if not I'll order it through DeepDiscount.
Old 08-20-07, 09:51 AM

question: this version is supposed to be released eventually on HiDef - right? This is a MGM/Fox release, correct?
Old 08-20-07, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin

Wow that sucks! Is this the reason why futureshop.ca and bestbuy.ca don't even have it on their site yet to order? Is amazon the only place we're gonna be able to buy this steelbook?

I REALLY want this! And i hope we get it in stores here in Montreal and not just available online. But maybe that's a good thing since apparently there's a big fuck up. I guess we'll see tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.