DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Robocop 20th Anniversary Edition - August 21

Old 05-08-07, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Shit, right after I finally break down and get the trilogy, even though I got a great deal on it. But it's still sealed so may have to unload it.

I've heard 3 is horrible, how is 2, is it worth keeping the trilogy?
I actually enjoyed Robocop 2, while it's less tongue in cheek, it's a mean spirited movie, the victim count nearly doubles. I've only seen it in it's laserdisc version and the uncompressed PCM audio track are extremely LOUD and intense.
Old 05-08-07, 09:52 AM

What, no AMC Backstory Special? Still, this looks really good, but I fear it's going to go OOP quickly like the Oldboy set. I hope not.
Old 05-08-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the come out with this as an HD version, I'm all over it.
Old 05-08-07, 10:24 AM
mxv

I may have to unload my Criterion version of this and buy this one when it comes out. That would make for a triple dip since I have the box set too.
Old 05-08-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got the trilogy, thus I won't be picking this up. But, I wanted to chime in with the rest and say that it's a very nice looking cover!
Old 05-08-07, 10:40 AM

Wow! Could it be...a version of Robocop worth buying?

And for once, an MGM Photoshop job that looks good? A re-done logo that isn't complete and utter shite?

I don't care about DTS; I'd be happy with the original, Oscar-nominated stereo.

Purists, I wouldn't unload the Criterion--how do we know this will keep Verhoeven's 1.66:1 aspect ratio?
Old 05-08-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Criterion and the Trilogy. Doesn't look like there's an abundance of new extras to warrant owning a third version.
Old 05-08-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gotrice487
Sick cover art!!! Count me in
He could have at least turned for the camera.
Old 05-08-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if an extra 3 featurettes are worth my plunking down $20 for a third time on Robocop. Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite films of all time, but it's hard to justify buying it a third time for nothing that extra. I don't care about having the theatrical cut and I'm thinking that the DTS mix will only be on that version, not on the extended cut on disc 2. However, if I'm wrong I might buy it for the audio upgrade after all. The soundtrack is kick ass.
Old 05-08-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the Steelbook, but since I own the Criterion, I'm undecided as to whether I'll upgrade or not...
Old 05-08-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by crazyrabbits
What, no AMC Backstory Special? Still, this looks really good, but I fear it's going to go OOP quickly like the Oldboy set. I hope not.
Given that this doesn't have a huge comic book and a film cell in it, and it's being released by a major studio, I would imagine it's not as likely.
Old 05-08-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Robert
I'm keeping my Critierion with the "Director approved transfer" as this new steelbook will definitely have the cropped 1.85:1 ratio...

I have the Criterion as well, the "Director Approved Transfer" is nothing to scream about. The picture quality is horrible by todays standards even though it is his preferred ratio. Give me a better anamorphic transfer any day.

I am all over this...
Old 05-08-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will be buying this and keeping my Criterion copy as well.
Old 05-08-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I missed out on the Criterion, didn't want to buy the trilogy just for part on, and wanted the unrated version, this looks to be the one I'll finally be happy with.

Good news. And as much as I like Steelbooks, I'm not crazy about that cover art. Oh well, I guess nothing could compare to the Criterion cover art...
Old 05-08-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YES!

TOTALLY did not see this coming.

Will be buying this ASAP...I'll buy this for, like, 20 dollars!
Old 05-08-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Guess I should get rid of my Criterion...
if the colors aren't over saturated on the new mgm release, then get the new one, but wait till reviews, since the old criterion transfer was approoved by Verhoven.
Old 05-08-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good news... Looks like I can add Robocop to the collection again...
Old 05-08-07, 02:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
And for once, an MGM Photoshop job that looks good? A re-done logo that isn't complete and utter shite?
My thoughts exactly. I can deal with a company not using the original artwork if they at least put some effort into it like they have here. This actually looks like it could be a poster I'd see up at the theaters and not just a bunch of disembodied heads floating below a title done in the first font the DVD 'artist' stumbles across.
Old 05-08-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow thats nice! I was never a Robo fan. Growing up, the movie always freaked me out and depressed the shit out of me. But I found the Criterion a few years back for $10 and began to really like the flick. I'll get this as soon as I see some reviews to see if its the unrated cut, the sound, transfer, etc.

I love the cover and the fact you dont see his face. Its a great pose.
Old 05-08-07, 05:37 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only have the bare bones, R rated MGM version, so I'll probably double-dip on this.
Old 05-08-07, 05:40 PM

I almost bought the trilogy just to get a decent copy of 'Robocop.' With this addition, I'll wait. Amazing cover, extras, and hopefully good transfer.
Old 05-08-07, 06:02 PM

They shouldn't have wasted disc space with the rated version and put more extras instead. I'll stick with the Criterion.
Old 05-08-07, 06:05 PM

Shit, right after I finally break down and get the trilogy, even though I got a great deal on it. But it's still sealed so may have to unload it.

Not at all, at least to me. Terrible movie compared to the original.
Old 05-08-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, considering RoboCop is a near-masterpiece, RoboCop 2 is a step-down. It reeks of "This movie MUST come out this summer by any means necessary" syndrome, and whereas Verhoeven had us laugh at the violence as well as be disgusted, the situations here are just far too bombastic to deal with. The only thing going for it is Peter Weller's return and more stop-motion. Also directed by Irvin "Empire Strikes Back" Kershner, but alas was his last movie to date.

And UNLESS you are curious to expose yourself to the "hype" and complete the RoboCop saga, RoboCop 3 is a disaster of epic proportions. Yeah, it was good when I was 6 or 7, but factor in the fact that Fred Dekker, director of Night of the Creeps and The Monster Squad (both classics) was the co-writer and director and you won't believe how bad it is. OCP is going bankrupt without any evil corporate bigwig, RoboCop ain't Peter Weller, a techie kid who can deactivate an ED-209 even though her family is in poverty, robot ninjas being manufactured by OCP, flying RoboCop...it takes what was once a satirical bloodbath intended for adults and boils it down to the consistency of a bad Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode. One of the worst movies EVER IMO.
Old 05-08-07, 08:35 PM

I never double dip. but this is certainly making me consider it. I'd probably keep my Criterion version for its director approved aspect ratio. I'm sure this version won't retain it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.