Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Poltergeist Special Edition from Warner

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've resisted the current release - tempted soooo many times - so this is GREAT news!
Old 02-28-07, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Talk of new releases for Beetlejuice, Face Off and now Poltergeist. All films I've been holding off on.

Until two buys arrived yesterday, I hadn't bought any DVDs at all in 2007. Glad to see the drought may be over in time.
Old 02-28-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This would make it a 25th Anniversary release if I'm not mistaken. I've got the crappy versions of all 3, but have been anxiously awaiting a decent release. I figured there'd be an awesome Region 2 set or something like Anchor Bay does with a lot of stuff before they get released here, but I never heard of it if there was. Here's hoping they actually do it this time and do it right.
Old 02-28-07, 10:39 PM

This was the first DVD I ever purchased, so definitely good news to Me.
Old 03-01-07, 09:56 AM

Commentary, please! It's a must. There's a really harsh edit in the movie that I want explained, right at the point where the Craig T Nelson and his wife go to the neighbors to ask if they are experiencing any disturbances, and they are swatting mosquitoes. The scene cut looks like someone with epilepsy edited it, and it seems like something got removed. I've wanted to know what for years.

This is great news. One of the best horror movies ever made, finally gets the respect it deserves. Can we have The Shining next, please?
Old 03-01-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Commentary, please! It's a must.

This is great news. One of the best horror movies ever made, finally gets the respect it deserves. Can we have The Shining next, please?

I'll second that on both accounts. I'd love a good commentary with Tobe Hooper and Craig T. Nelson...maybe someday we'll even get a good Spielberg commentary for something...I don't think it'll be this though.

Would love a good SE of The Shining (the original) too (It's blasphemous that the made for TV version with that dude from Wings got such a good 2 disc release while the classic gets the crappy treatment). Come to think of it, there are plenty of Kubrick films long overdue for much-needed special editions. Full Metal Jacket anyone?....I think the 20th Anniversary is coming up for that one.
Old 03-01-07, 10:11 AM

2 disc special editions of a number of Kubrick films are already being released this year including "The Shining," "A Clockwork Orange" and "Full Metal Jacket." They will be released in anamorphic widescreen.
Old 03-01-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Commentary, please! It's a must. There's a really harsh edit in the movie that I want explained, right at the point where the Craig T Nelson and his wife go to the neighbors to ask if they are experiencing any disturbances, and they are swatting mosquitoes. The scene cut looks like someone with epilepsy edited it, and it seems like something got removed. I've wanted to know what for years.
If I'm not mistaken, it was to remove a reference to Pizza Hut or something that was taken out at the last minute or between the theatrical release and home video. There are explanations of it on the web.
Old 03-01-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
If I'm not mistaken, it was to remove a reference to Pizza Hut or something that was taken out at the last minute or between the theatrical release and home video. There are explanations of it on the web.
Wow...weird. I've been wondering about that cut for years, myself. I always thought it was something to do with the pot they obviously had been smoking again. I always thought that scene was hilarious and would've liked to have seen the full bit. You know, I'm surprised Speilberg never digitally removed the joint they were smoking in bed and replaced it with a walkie-talkie.
Old 05-07-07, 01:18 PM
Hal

Spain release date announced : Poltergeist 25th DVD

9th October

I think z1 will be before...
Old 05-07-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
why is the current release so bad out of curiousity? its anamorphic and 5.1.
Old 05-07-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Yay! Only a matter of time before a US announcement is made!
Old 05-07-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
why is the current release so bad out of curiousity? its anamorphic and 5.1.
Not "bad"... but it's a 10-year-old transfer and there's no extras. There's plenty of room here to improve.
Old 05-07-07, 07:55 PM

I bought the original DVD for a little less than 5 bucks like 3 or 4 years back along with the Poltergeist 2&3 dvd for a combined total of $10.

The disc isn't bad but the quality is lacking and of course there are no special features.

I cant wait to get this and Twilight Zone. I have been wanting these on a good DVD for a while....O and Beetlejuice is getting a release as well? Glad I didnt cave in and pick one up when they had it on sale....I hated those snapcases...
Old 05-08-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I figure that if it's being released on 10/9 in Spain, it will most likely be around the same time for us.
Old 05-08-07, 07:21 AM

I hope they announce the R1 release date soon. This is one of my most wanted DVDs.
Old 05-08-07, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Interesting...but the little girl mentions Pizza Hut pizza in a scene that remained intact, when her mom is sliding her into the haunted circle thing on the kitchen floor.
Old 06-09-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
No news on this yet ?
Old 06-16-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope. and october is right around the corner
Old 06-16-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But we haven't heard a ton of info on October releases from studios yet though. Seems like we're still getting word on a lot of September stuff right now. I would bet we'll hear within a month if it is indeed coming in October.
Old 06-17-07, 12:11 AM
Banned

I don't know if Warner Bros. has made their September announcements yet but their long-awaited DVD release of Richard Linklater's "Suburbia" was rumored to be getting a September release and that one hasn't been officially announced yet, so *IF* "Suburbia" is unannounced and still coming in September then the October announcements are a ways off.
Old 06-17-07, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
I don't know if Warner Bros. has made their September announcements yet but their long-awaited DVD release of Richard Linklater's "Suburbia" was rumored to be getting a September release and that one hasn't been officially announced yet, so *IF* "Suburbia" is unannounced and still coming in September then the October announcements are a ways off.
Yeah I am still waiting for Suburbia as well. I always get excited around this time of year will the halloween releases being announced. I am hoping Poltergeist and Deadly Friend get announced soon.
Old 06-17-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
They've made at least one I can think of -- Deliverance: DE
Old 06-17-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
At this point, isn't Twilight Zone: The Movie supposed to be coming out this year as well?
Old 06-17-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^Yes, WB said before Halloween.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.