Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Poltergeist Special Edition from Warner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
i just can't believe that there is no High Def version....
I hear you... makes *no* damn sense to me.

I'm a whore, and I found this for $9.99 at Best Buy (after getting $6 for my old edition)... so I pulled the trigger. But the lack of an HD version and the continued lack of any decent supplements for this film is perplexing.
Old 10-29-07, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GABaracus
The storm coming line is in the film, it was never said by Robbie in the tree. He says it to his mother when she comes to tuck him in. The longer kitchen sequence was only ever available on early theatrical prints of the film distributed in 1982, before Pizza Hut intervened.
I guess I must have seen one of those early prints when I saw the movie in theaters. I clearly remember Carol Anne sliding across the floor twice. The Robbie scene might just be my imagination. But I remember him saying there was a storm coming and everyone looking up at the clouds. Maybe a TV edit?
Old 10-29-07, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
i just got this the other day from a seller on half.com and even though the picture looks better, the 5.1 audio track does not. Like everyone else said, the special features are weak. This DVD was so light it felt like a bootleg and I wouldve thought it was if the sec stickers werent still on it (maybe it was the case) ??
Old 10-31-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm. To buy or not to buy, that is the question.
Old 10-31-07, 04:24 PM

Definitely getting this...i try to watch it everytime it comes on tv (tonight, 730 abc fam) maybe this way I won't try watching it every time it on tv.
Old 11-01-07, 05:00 PM

What's with Warner lately? Did they lose some of their talent in the Home Video/DVD dept.? They used to be the major studio for quality SE's. Now all of a sudden, starting sometime this year, they're dropping the ball left and right. What gives?
Old 11-01-07, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Looks pretty good. Was hoping the HD DVD version was still coming out...guess not.
The house used in the movie is actually in my town. I'm gonna have to drive by later and check it out again. Always freaks me out.
Very cool, GizmoDVD! I like near the damn apartment that Julia Roberts lives in from Pretty Woman. I'd prefer the Poltergeist house...and neighborhood.
Old 11-02-07, 11:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Just got Deliverance SE today and it felt cheap and flimsy just like Poltergeist SE. Even the cover art for the spine was similar. What happened to WBs solid 2 disc SE's ?
Old 11-05-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gave up on waiting for this on HD, so I picked it up and I must say the new transfer looks pretty damn good.
Old 12-05-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Abandoned 20th Anniversary SE?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I've read through every Poltergeist thread that I could find.

I was browsing wikipedia when I came across this entry under Poltergeist's Home Video Releases
LINK
A six disc prototype, from the abandoned 20th Anniversary Special Edition, surfaced on eBay a few years ago and still crops up from time to time. Special features included the The First Real Ghost Story and The Making of Poltergeist featurettes, screenplay, several photo galleries and Fangoria interviews, and the documentaries E! True Hollywood Story, Hollywood Ghost Stories and Terror in The Aisles. The 6th disc was a copy of the original motion picture soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith.
I know there was talk of a 2-disc SE before the 25th Anniversary Edition came out, but a 6 disc sounds pretty excessive. Can anyone corroborate this story? Has anyone even heard of this before?
Old 12-05-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JackBurton
Sorry if this is common knowledge, I've read through every Poltergeist thread that I could find.

I was browsing wikipedia when I came across this entry under Poltergeist's Home Video Releases
LINK

I know there was talk of a 2-disc SE before the 25th Anniversary Edition came out, but a 6 disc sounds pretty excessive. Can anyone corroborate this story? Has anyone even heard of this before?
That's very hard to believe. Their description of special features sounds more like a bootleg a fan might have made than an official DVD.
Old 12-05-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Originally Posted by JackBurton

LINK
Quote:
A six disc prototype, from the abandoned 20th Anniversary Special Edition, surfaced on eBay a few years ago and still crops up from time to time. Special features included the The First Real Ghost Story and The Making of Poltergeist featurettes, screenplay, several photo galleries and Fangoria interviews, and the documentaries E! True Hollywood Story, Hollywood Ghost Stories and Terror in The Aisles. The 6th disc was a copy of the original motion picture soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith.
That's very hard to believe. Their description of special features sounds more like a bootleg a fan might have made than an official DVD.
That's what I would guess.
Old 12-05-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Six discs sounds like overkill.

Blade Runner only got five DVDs, and there were like six different versions of it. And the people who made Blade Runner were all willing to talk about it.