Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Opinion on Used DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those in the New England area, Newbury Comics is a great place to find used DVDs. Whenever I've sold some, they give them each a thorough inspection to look for scratches -- they take a hit if someone brings a used DVD back because it skips, so they don't seem to take chances. And all of the used DVDs I've bought there are in perfect shape. My only reservation is that *sometimes* their prices are a little steep for a used product.
Old 01-31-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This will depend on you. I buy used DVDs almost exclusively. Exceptions include television shows, special editions and box sets. Other than that, I know that if I wait a month or so for a new release, I can walk into Hollywood video and get three movies for $25. After taxes that's about $9 a movie. I just picked up three movies this weekend in fact. Not one of them had as much as a smudge on it. When a movie is beat up, I just take it back in and exchange it for another one.

If you're not overly picky about the case, buying used movies can be a great way to save money.
Old 01-31-07, 09:13 AM

i'll buy used dvds if they're in good condition and the package/set is complete. also, i have to know that i'll be able to take it back if the disc in scratched.

i've only bought from blockbuster when they have those 3/$20 or 4/$20 sales. haven't had a problem with them.
Old 01-31-07, 09:30 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've bought quite a few used DVDs over the years for ones that were hard to find such as OOP Disneys, James Bonds when they were on moratorium, etc. I've probably only bought one used DVD in the last year because I can usually find them cheaper new. I like to have the original cases and artwork in good condition, as well as the disc, so I haven't bought any from Blockbuster. All but one of the used ones I bought were from places where other customers traded them in.
Old 01-31-07, 09:46 AM

There's no way I would be able to afford what I'd like to own without buying used, and thus about 70% of my DVDs are used/former rentals.

I mostly get them at Game Stop, Hollywood Video, Newbury Comics, or a select couple of privately-owned Blockbusters, and I've had to exchange maybe a half dozen of the over 600 I've bought second-hand because of playback issues.

Some have surface scratches, but they play fine, so I'm not concerned with it.

I am fairly particular about the cases, so I bought a few hundred new amarays on eBay to swap out when a used case is banged up, and as far as boxsets/tv shows with special packaging, I just hunt around until I find one in a condition I'm satisfied with (thus I avoid EB Games, who use stickers that leave a heavy residue on packaging).

Most stores allow for the return of a used DVD that has playback issues, so I feel pretty comfortable with it.

I just can't rationalize, for instance, paying $19.99 plus for a new title when I can find it for $2 (as I recently did with The Libertine, First Descent, Find Me Guilty, etc) - $9 (HWV deals) used within weeks of release.

But to each his own, its all about your personal preferences and hang-ups.
Old 01-31-07, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
I like to have the original cases and artwork in good condition, as well as the disc, so I haven't bought any from Blockbuster. All but one of the used ones I bought were from places where other customers traded them in.
yea that's the one reason why i wouldn't buy from blockbuster again. i don't like blockbuster's cases. i'll probably start looking at other places too to save money.
Old 01-31-07, 10:24 AM

I buy used all the time. The exception is if I'm wanting to pick up a New Release, then I will get it from the store. If I'm looking for something that has been out for a while, I will pick it up through someone at Amazon, or perhaps the trade board here on this site.

For those of you in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area that buy used...you should check out Traders Village out in Grand Prarie. They have booths set up all over with DVD's and most are crazy cheap. I have not one single time ever had a problem with any used DVD that I have bought. Maybe I'm just lucky. Like someone else said above, if I only purchesed DVD's brand new, I couldn't affort to buy other cool stuff that I like. I'll keep buying used.
Old 01-31-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the Memorex blank, black dvd cases that you can buy at Staples, so if I do get a case that's a bit dinged, I just swap everything over to the new case. Looks like I just bought it the store.
Old 01-31-07, 10:27 AM

A decent sized chunk of my collection are used DVDs; I've been collecting since 1998, and in that time (and about 1500 titles later) I've only gotten three duds - Saviour, Leon (The Professional) and Bad Boys 2. I also keep a pile of new Amray cases around to replace scuffed and battered cases, and I've lucked into quite a few newish releases in decent condition for half or less than half the RRP.
Lately I'm only buying serious must-have titles in the week of release; for the rest I'll wait for used copies to turn up, because niche fare aside, most of them do turn up relatively cheaply. Just last week I picked up The Break-Up, used but in perfect condition, and United 93, slightly scratched but plays fine, for $15 for both.
That said, I do know guys who balk at even letting used discs be played in their players.
Old 01-31-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Just like used underwear, used DVDs have no place in my life.
What, you haven't watched yours yet?
Old 01-31-07, 10:33 AM

I buy used a lot. You can get the DVD's so much cheaper that I really can't justify spending twice as much to get it new.
Old 01-31-07, 10:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
I have no reservations buying used.

I've bought discs that look scratched to heck, and they play fine.

My nephew has played frisbee with DVDs, my sister never puts them back in their cases, the dog has carried them off in his mouth. They always play fine.

I'm pretty ocd and never touch my disc surfaces, always put them back in cases, want everything to be pristine, etc...

But in my experience, disc scratches are inconsequential. Maybe I've just been lucky though.
Old 01-31-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I started collecting (98') everything was new. Now 50% of my purchases are used. I have this thing about redoing the cases into thinpak so the case and covers mean nothing to me. I even have some from MovieStop that just come in a clear case, no booklet, no cover. I don't care, I just want the movie. I also tend to rip them into my MAC and I see a future when my entire collection will be digital. I already have a room full of shelves of DVDs. At some point you just say to yourself, 'if I ever move am I going to be able to find the space for this stuff? Do I want to carry this stuff around for the rest of my life?' I find in my case my used disc vs new disc have just the same chance of problems. In fact, I think I've returned more new purchases because of something being wrong than any of my used disc.
Old 01-31-07, 11:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts
I mostly buy used. My independently owned local Blockbuster puts their new DVD releases out for "previously used 2 for $15 sale" only about 2 weeks after release... can't pass up a basically new release for $7.50. Usually in good shape, packaging usually all there... any problems, and they exchange it no problem. I collect the movie, not the friggin' inserts.
Old 01-31-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ive bought about 6 used ones from Blockbuster. no problems with disk but the boxes were banged up. I usually only buy new but if its a movie im not to sure about and its used Ill buy it. There is a used cd/dvd store near me and I would buy from them before blockbuster.
Old 01-31-07, 02:16 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
What, you haven't watched yours yet?
Cute; actually, the ginger way I treat my discs would equate to wearing underwear without somehow ever letting it touch your skin...
Old 01-31-07, 02:22 PM
Bye

As with CDs, I started out never buying used. Eventually, I started buying used CDs and now rarely ever buy a new one, but that hasn't happened with DVDs. I buy a few of them, but mostly because it's OOP stuff. I did buy a used copy of Police Academy: 20th Anniversary Edition because I didn't have a lot of money and the difference between $9.99 for a new one and $5.99 for the used one made it worthwhile, especially since I was buying a few other DVDs. However, I made sure that the disc and snapper case both looked brand-new before I bought it, otherwise I would have forked out for the new one, which I did for Coming To America after seeing that the used copy was in really bad shape.

As many others are, I'm very picky when it comes to DVDs, especially used ones. Stuff like one or two fingerprints doesn't bother me, especially if they rub right off. Of course a lot of stores will tell you that they guarantee discs will play, etc. etc., but if they look like crap to begin with, it doesn't matter to me whether they play or not. I don't always get a chance to watch the DVD completely before the return deadline, and even if they do play, they're often one little scuff away from starting to skip or freeze up. If I do end up buying a used DVD, I almost always replace the box, and if a new copy is readily available, I don't mind paying twice the price for it.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 01-31-07 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-31-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While the majority of my collection is new.... I have had more defective new DVD's than used....
Old 01-31-07, 03:06 PM

I usually buy Used, but I'm picky. I avoid any markings or holes on the case, smells of cigarette smoke, and loose discs inside. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to find a "used" dvd that was never opened to begin with.

The worst dvd I got was the New World. The case looked great, but the disc was messed up. It was a former rental that someone had written all over the discart, plus their were a few parts of the discart that were completely gone from the disc. A label sticker was around the inner circle of the disc, and of course the disc was scuffed beyond play. So, I got mad and just broke it in half!! I was more mad at the place for selling me that crap moreso than the people that screwed it up.
Old 01-31-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Cute; actually, the ginger way I treat my discs would equate to wearing underwear without somehow ever letting it touch your skin...
On the outside of your clothes?
Old 01-31-07, 03:13 PM

The only place I've gotten used discs from is Hollywood Video. They have some pretty good deals on very recent titles (way more recent previously viewed discs than you'll find at Blockbuster) and now they also offer a lifetime guarantee. So if the disc doesn't work, you can always get a replacement.

I've looked at places like Gamestop, but most of those prices aren't much cheaper than what I can pay for a brand new disc. A lot of the movies you'd find for $5, or so, at Best Buy or online are priced at about double that. So what's the point?
Old 01-31-07, 03:17 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts
You really need to keep an eye on the Gamestop used bins... they usually have hidden gems in the 3 DVD's for 10 bucks section... even better when you get them during their Buy 2 used dvd's get 1 free sale... can't beat $2.22 for a dvd...
Old 01-31-07, 03:25 PM
Bye

I know this isn't a mass tirade against people who don't take care of their DVDs, but since condition has been mentioned as a big reason why most of us don't buy used, I feel the following is relevant. It's funny that when a format is finally developed that doesn't wear itself out because there's no physical contact between the player and the disc, people take that to mean that the discs don't wear out for any reason and treat them like they're indestructible. It happened with CDs, and now it's happening with DVDs. The image of Joe Six-Pack saying "Ah don't keer 'bout all tha faincy pakajin, I jest wawnt tuh wawtch da mooveee" while he adds a DVD to a pile of bare discs on top of his TV is at once funny and sad, because taking care of your discs isn't about being a "dainty Dan", it's about making sure those movies actually PLAY when you want them to.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 01-31-07 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-31-07, 03:33 PM
Bye

...and if I can hog the thread a little more, it just occurred to me that my taste in DVDs makes me more likely to buy used as well as less likely. I guess less likely wins, because due to the fact that I don't often buy mainstream DVDs (major movies, etc.), they aren't sold used quite as often, and buying used at rental stores almost never happens with me. Of course since I do like obscure stuff (animation collections, music videos, documentaries, etc.) I tend to buy those used a lot because they're either OOP or I'd have to order them online. As long as a DVD looks like it's new, I'd rather buy a used copy locally than take my chances on ordering one new and having some problem like a damaged cover that isn't enough reason for a return, not to mention the hassle of actually returning it. In other words, I guess instant gratification and seeing what I'm buying win out over the new vs. used issue.

Okay, I think everyone's heard enough from me... I'll find other threads to post in for a while...
Old 01-31-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ultimately, as long as you don't feel the need to mark titles off your wishlist at the earliest possible moment, purchasing used can save you a fuck-ton of money. Just don't be eager to snatch up a title solely because it's used, cheap, and on your wishlist. If it's in bad shape, wait until you see a better copy elsewhere. Trust me...in time, you will. Hell, it might even be a buck or two cheaper.

I'd challenge anybody to go through my collection and tell me which of my titles were purchased new, and which were purchased used. See, because once you take the shrink-wrap off your spiffy new $19.99 title, it's identical in every way to the one I purcahsed for five or six bucks.

I also find some comfort in the fact that I haven't wasted exorbitant amounts of money on this, my most recent (and current) hobby. Thanks to the effort that I put into hunting down my wishlist titles at the best possible price-point, I can theoretically turn and sell my collection for, at the very least, what I paid...and that's a nice feeling.

-JP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.