Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Opinion on Used DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Yeah, but you just shit food out a few hours later; DVDs can be pristine 4-evah!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-02-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never bought a used DVD because I worry about scratches and disc problems, etc...

I tend to be very patient so I normally wait for price drops and then buy it at a price that is normally very comparable to that if it is used
Old 02-02-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My experience is that stores selling used stuff around here screen them well and I have never had a problem.
Of course I am talking about the serious places, like Amoeba and Rasuputins.
Old 02-02-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, but you just shit food out a few hours later; DVDs can be pristine 4-evah!
Yeah maybe you can be buried with them after you die of food poisoning
Old 02-02-07, 06:35 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
Yeah maybe you can be buried with them after you die of food poisoning
What, are you from the fuckin' 1600s?
Old 02-02-07, 06:42 PM

I have no trouble when I buy used. Especially that I make sure I get them only from FYI. They are very particular with used dvd and games. They will not taking anything that is scratched.
Old 02-02-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As for used discs, I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Don't buy them regularly, but if I see a good deal i'll jump on it.
Old 02-02-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Used is fine with me - they have to be complete and mint but I'll consider a little wear and tear if it's rare and priced right...
Old 02-02-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy most of mine at Game Stop. Yesterday I got Broken Bridges, Hoosiers (2 disc), & Material Girls for $8.67
Old 02-02-07, 10:08 PM

I like getting mainstream movies used from Netflix. Davinci Code double disc = $5.99
Old 02-02-07, 10:18 PM

Trust me, I would love to buy used DVDs to add to my collection and be fine with it. It would save me a buttload of dough, but I can't have a used DVD on my shelfs if it is still in print. I couldn't look at it without being annoyed, it's just me and my quirks.
Old 02-02-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by supfool!
Trust me, I would love to buy used DVDs to add to my collection and be fine with it. It would save me a buttload of dough, but I can't have a used DVD on my shelfs if it is still in print. I couldn't look at it without being annoyed, it's just me and my quirks.

But... unless you never open your movies, the DVD is used as soon as you open it and watch it.
Old 02-02-07, 10:46 PM

I prefer used... why not get something for usually less than half of the cost. Never had a problem with condition. I could care less if it has a little insert listing the chapters...
Old 02-03-07, 12:35 AM
JIF

I'd say it's safe to buy used dvds. I sold 30 of mine last week to 3 music stores and I kept them in pristine condition.

By the way, you can't get much from selling dvds nowadays. I made 120 bucks.
Old 02-03-07, 08:49 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
But... unless you never open your movies, the DVD is used as soon as you open it and watch it.
Speaking as another anal retentive type, this argument is tired and misses the point. It is not just "used" DVDs we have an issue with--it is "used by someone other than us" DVDs. It's about knowing that the disc was new when it was purchased, and is now being treated in such a way that will always keep it "like new", and knowing that it has been handled by no one but ourselves. Quirky, sure, I'll be the first to admit, but we derive satisfaction from this process. I think only an absolutely mint (package and disc) used title would be able to pass under my "ants crawling all over my body" radar.
Old 02-03-07, 09:53 AM

For the most part i don't buy used. I think i have brought 10-15 used movie titles out of 500. I only have 2 titles left that were brought used that I didn't end up selling off. Some were oop bonds that i found and since i already had them just brought to resell. I try to wait until movies are no more then $10 NEW but once they hit that then its like well soon it will be $7.50 and then $5 or lower. I have enough to watch that I don't need to rush out it and pick it up.
Old 02-03-07, 10:04 AM
Banned

No, he's not "from the fuckin' 1600s" as you inquired, its called reality. It doesn't matter how prestine DVDs, or any other materials things may be, you can't take them with you. So therefore, everything we have on this earth is only temporary. Nothing last 4-evah!
Old 02-03-07, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
No, he's not "from the fuckin' 1600s" as you inquired, its called reality. It doesn't matter how prestine DVDs, or any other materials things may be, you can't take them with you. So therefore, everything we have on this earth is only temporary. Nothing last 4-evah!
First of all, your post has nothing in common with porieux's, who rather foolishly is trying to equate DVD collecting with eating out at restaurants, so if you're going to step to someone's defense, actually defend what they said. Secondly, is your implication that we should all live in mud shacks, wear potato sacks and ride horseback to work because "you can't take them with you"? Get a grip.

Moving on from that waste of time, I am legitimately curious what the ratio of only children to those with siblings is in this thread. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that most of those who detest the idea of buying used discs (like me) are only children (also like me), who never had to go through twenty or so years of siblings fucking up their shit.
Old 02-03-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Personally, I'm not content with used DVD's. When I purchase a DVD in a store, I don't care if it runs fine or not, but if there's a scratch there, the DVD is getting returned. These stores want to try and see if it will run fine first, but no. I spend money on a product, and I expect to get a flawless copy of said product. I'm way too picky to buy used DVD's. As said before, if I can't afford it now, I'll wait until I can buy a new sealed copy for a price that's comparable to a used DVD.
Old 02-03-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am an only child and I fully support buying used dvds. It's just like buying anything used, you just have to check out it's condition ahead of time (if possible), or at least consider where/who you are buying it from.

Actually, I would say almost half of my collection was bought used.
Old 02-03-07, 11:58 AM
Banned

First of all, your post has nothing in common with porieux's, who rather foolishly is trying to equate DVD collecting with eating out at restaurants, so if you're going to step to someone's defense, actually defend what they said. Secondly, is your implication that we should all live in mud shacks, wear potato sacks and ride horseback to work because "you can't take them with you"? Get a grip. Moving on from that waste of time.
If this was so much of a waste of your time, then why did you bother to respond at all? I wouldn't even made the effort. And remember this Mr. Smarty Pants: Smarty had a party, and there was nobody there but smarty.
Old 02-03-07, 12:03 PM
Banned

Are you absolutely, positively sure you're okay with never getting laid in your life?
Old 02-03-07, 01:59 PM

I've seen a couple of people mention that they buy from a "privately owned" Blockbuster. What is the difference?
Old 02-03-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you absolutely, positively sure you're okay with never getting laid in your life?
I think that both of you need to tone it down before this gets even more out of hand and people start reporting you to the forum mods.
Old 02-03-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I buy used dvds. A local chain video store sell the for 7.50 or 3.33. At 3.33 its about the price of a rental anyway. They usually have them 4 weeks after release. The main problem is this store buys more fullscreen than widescreen, so it is a crapshoot if you can get it in widescreen. I have never had problems with quality. I now only buy new if it is a movie I want right away, and comes in fullscreen release as well (I wont buy fullscreen even for 3.33), or it comes in 1 or 2 disc versions and I want the 2-discer. In store specials may also tempt me to buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.