DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Opinion on Used DVDs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/491130-opinion-used-dvds.html)

undrwrldangel24 01-30-07 09:24 PM

Opinion on Used DVDs

I am wondering if anyone here buys used DVDs. I am very particular about DVD cases and will only buy a used DVD if it is in good condition and a good price. I am just wondering what everyone's opinion is on buying used DVDs and if you have found a really good deal on a used DVD.

project86 01-30-07 09:39 PM

I buy used as long as the discs are in good shape and come complete.

I don't really care if they're in a crappy case or not, I have about 150 blank cases from Blockbuster where I work so I can just switch it out.

Filmmaker 01-30-07 09:44 PM

Just like used underwear, used DVDs have no place in my life.

EdTheRipper 01-30-07 09:44 PM

I buy used once in a great while.

speedyray 01-30-07 09:49 PM

I love used DVDs. As long as you are careful, they save you a ton of money.

canaryfarmer 01-30-07 10:17 PM

I pretty much <i>only</i> buy used dvds. There's a huge used DVD store near me, and like clockwork, a few weeks after a major release, the used copies start raining in, usually for about half what I'd be paying that first week. They look exactly the same as brand new ones, and I haven't bought one yet that hasn't worked perfectly. Saving money == more money for dvds :)

Gigantopithecus 01-30-07 10:28 PM

I only buy used dvds, with very few exceptions. it helps that i live near an Amoeba record store, all you have to do is avoid the former-rental dvds. actually, its been a very long time since ive purchased a dvd over $10(not including boxsets, dummy).

ReduxGuy 01-30-07 10:59 PM

Approach with Caution is the best advice.

I RARELY buy used, unless the DVD is OOP and I have no choice, like the original Bourne Identity DVD.

jpdude 01-30-07 11:11 PM

I rarely purchase used DVD's. I'm very particular about my collection and will not settle for anything less than those which are in the most pristine condition. If a used DVD doesn't look as if it was just opened brand new, FORGET IT! I do not want a single scratch, scuff, fingerprint, etc on my DVDs....same goes for CDs. Boxed sets....I'm very careful opening those too, i only remove the outer plastic from the spines as to keep the outer slipcases in the best possible shape. I'm simply willing to pay whatever extra cost is involved in order to obtain as perfect of a disc that I can get. I'm proud to say that i have CD's that i purchased over 20yrs ago and they all still look as if i just removed the plastic.

JiM T 01-30-07 11:19 PM

I've always bought used DVDs, and have had very few problems.

hindolio 01-30-07 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by undrwrldangel24
I am wondering if anyone here buys used DVDs. I am very particular about DVD cases and will only buy a used DVD if it is in good condition and a good price. I am just wondering what everyone's opinion is on buying of used DVDs and if you have found a really good deal on a used DVD.

try it and you may like it :eyebrow:

nateman 01-31-07 12:32 AM

Ive only bought The Others, The Amityville horror (2005), Amityville 4 and psycho 2 used. they all worked great, the only one that was really scratched bad was the others but it still played without any skipping & it was 5 bucks for the 2 disc set!-this is only cause i couldn't find these dvds new!

i buy alot of tv on dvd sets & i only buy tv on dvd sets new. when i buy a movie i usually buy it new but if i can't find it new i'll think about buying a used copy.

i usually stay away from most used dvds through.
I know this is off-topic but i never rent either its a waste of money in my opinion.

i don't understand the point of buying used dvds, i like my dvds in mint condition.

supfool! 01-31-07 12:36 AM

I can't even fathom the purchase of a used DVD if it is still in print. Only one used disc in my collection, and that is because it's a disgustingly awesome flick and has been OOP for a long time.

bgmat58 01-31-07 02:01 AM

which movie is that supfool? i buy used on occassion maybe 5% of my movies are used. i get mainly oop criterions used since i dont have anyother option

Gigantopithecus 01-31-07 02:35 AM

where are you guys buying your used dvds? ive never had a problem with a disc being scratched when purchasing a used dvd, a couple times the case was beaten up a little.

and the main reason people buy used is because theyre cheaper.hahaha. im not buying a new dvd for $15+ when i can get it for $6-9 used.

only time i buy new is when its cheaper than a used copy, like when best buy, circuit city, etc,.. has those $4.50 movies.

bodomnet 01-31-07 02:58 AM

I have bought quite a few used dvds in my time.
I'd say they make up maybe 15% of my collection.

I have stopped lately due to alot of bad ebay trades.. but in general I think buying used can be a great way of saving money.

But after those few sour experiences, I find I can usually pick up the dvds new for maybe $4 more.. so it's worth it to me to know its new and sealed.

Muad'Dib 01-31-07 07:32 AM

Yea, I buy used DVDs quite a lot. Saves a ton of money and if you are carefull, you can usually find a copy in mint shape.

speedy1961 01-31-07 07:34 AM

I buy them when I can and only IF they'll let me eyeball the DVD's underside prior to purchase. I've only had 1 not work which was swapped out by Hollywood Video for another and the replacement copy worked fine.

My Criterion This IS Spinal Tap was bought used.

Captain Jackal 01-31-07 07:38 AM

Very rarely do I purchase a used dvd. When I do, I make sure I can look at the disc prior to purchase.

Shagrath 01-31-07 07:39 AM

Add me to the list of people who buys used. I've had very few problems with scratched discs and whatnot, and have gotten some amazing deals on several discs.

TomOpus 01-31-07 07:47 AM

Back when I was building up my collection, I bought used "hard to find" DVDs at a couple places that actually checked out their discs when they buy. They were always in great shape and I never had a problem.

matome 01-31-07 07:58 AM

I'll pretty much only buy used if it's a disc that is no longer readily available.

BuckNaked2k 01-31-07 08:21 AM

I buy used DVD sometimes on Amazon.com and half.com.

Most of the time, they look good, like they came from my collection. Other times, I am left scratching my head as to other peoples' definition of "Like New".

Brian Shannon 01-31-07 08:21 AM

I look but I don't know why.

Marked up cases, cases with stickers on them, marked up discs, missing inserts etc.

I have never bought one yet and probably never will.

Wildo1966 01-31-07 08:24 AM

If you go looking at flea markets and pawn shops for used dvds you are going to be disappointed. Condition is bad most of the time, even video rental places have poor condition used dvd's...IMO stay away from used whenever possible..