DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ultimate Superman Deluxe Set OOP!

Old 12-19-06, 08:50 AM
Banned

Ultimate Superman Deluxe Set OOP!

I have read elsewhere that the Ultimate Superman Deluxe Tin Set is now OOP according to WB! With the majority of people sending in the error disks to be replaced as a collector I have to say KEEP THEM! Buy the single version of Superman III for the extras and keep the error disk! This set is going nowhere but UP in value, check amazon and see for yourself! I am keeping all the original disks and not sending WB anything...Just watch!
Old 12-19-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do you have a source on this? Even if it's true I suspect it only be until they duplicate enough new copies of Superman 3.
Old 12-19-06, 08:56 AM
Banned

Yes, I read this info here:

http://thecinemaforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5005
Old 12-19-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that it's incorrect but I'd rather hear something more official than an email from DVDPacific. I still don't trust them after their site got hacked.
Old 12-19-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

didn't warner bors say they will re-release the corrected set this with different bar code?
Old 12-19-06, 09:45 AM

Seems that Amazon doesn't have any stock either, only third-party sellers. I did import this set into my shop here in Norway, so I just grabbed the last copy to myself. But does the new Superman III disc contain a new video transfer, or is it the same as on the 2001 issue?
Old 12-19-06, 10:00 AM

I just checked DDD and it has the Ultimate Superman set listed still, but there is a release date of 2/06/07. I'm guessing that it is a re-issue of the set with the corrected discs.
Old 12-19-06, 10:01 AM
Banned

From what I am hearing they will be releasing another set but not packaged the same..I think the tin is the best part of this set!
Old 12-19-06, 10:12 AM

So why would the error discs make this set more valuable? That doesn't make sense. I would think it would be more with the correct discs for the entire set.
Old 12-19-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

this has the making of "the sky is falling"

warner will replace the disc. warner will reissue the set.
Old 12-19-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it would be really bad if warner bros re issued the boxset without the same packaging.
Old 12-19-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
..I think the tin is the best part of this set!
True dat!
Old 12-19-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
I think the tin is the best part of this set!
Really? Not the movies inside?
Old 12-19-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would really lower my estimation of Warner Brothers if they allowed the tin to go out of print without rectifying the disc situation to retailers. I have put off getting the set waiting for the corrected discs to show up in stores, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. There was no indication in any of the announcements I have read over the months about this set to indicate the tin was going to be so short lived or I would have bought it and traded in the discs as others have.

I hope this is just rumour

Michael
Old 12-19-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have some questions:

The Superman Reeve Collection is basically the same as the Ultimate but without Returns and the Donner cut, right?

Also, does the Reeve Collection have the error discs or the correct one?
Old 12-19-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Wildo1966 is stockpiling for future sales. He also has another thread about selling Twin Peaks Season 1 because those are going for big money too.
Old 12-19-06, 01:09 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Class316
I have some questions:

The Superman Reeve Collection is basically the same as the Ultimate but without Returns and the Donner cut, right?

Also, does the Reeve Collection have the error discs or the correct one?
The Reeve collection is also missing the "You Will Believe" and "Bryan Singer Video Journals" bonus discs, both of which are exclusive to the Ultimate set.

The Reeve collection has the correct Superman III disc - as does the S3 single-disc release - but does contain the wrong stereo track on S1.
Old 12-19-06, 02:13 PM

Well I purchased one yesterday from Target.com. I figured they got the issue reolved b/c the website used to say "Shipping in 4-6 weeks" and it now says "Shipping in 24 hours".

It would be ridiculous to just declare this set DOA, but I bet they'll replace them later on.

Was every sinlge set supposed to be incorrect or just some?
Old 12-19-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pondering buying the Reeve Collection and the Donner Cut on their own. Cause it may be cheaper than buying the Ultimate version if one can find the right deals online. Then I can get one replacement disc.

hmm...I can get the Reeves Collection + Donner for $47.64

Last edited by Class316; 12-19-06 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-19-06, 04:52 PM
Bye

While agree that it's a good idea to keep an eye on which titles go out of print because you don't want to assume things will be available forever and miss out on it as a result, the whole "OOP" thing has gotten out of hand. People are looking at out-of-print titles as investment opportunities (i.e. opportunities to rip off people who don't buy everything the day it comes out and have to pay whatever price they can get it for later), and I personally don't think that's what DVD collecting is all about. Of course it's always pretty funny when people hoard OOP DVDs and quickly find out that OOP does not necessarily mean rare. To watch Amazon sellers start out at over $100 for a single DVD and then keep lowering the price because 1500 other sellers have copies as well that they're selling cheaper and so the price keeps dropping, dropping, dropping, until it's actually (gasp) REASONABLE just tickles me to death.

Anyway, the "Chicken Little" metaphor is spot on, although that attitude isn't always unwarranted. However, people need to realize that limited edition sets go out of print regularly, and because they don't fly off the shelves due to the high price, it's not like they're all gonna be gone tomorrow. As soon as the error was reported, it was also reported that WHV was on the case and was taking people's names and numbers. Ceasing distribution of the sets (if that's even been done) sounds to me like a move to limit the number of angry and disappointed customers out there. They'll get corrected sets back out there, but I'll admit that they may not be packaged in the tin, which will be a bummer.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, which I'm sure is the hardest thing to do for most people. Just don't freak out until we know what's really going on with this, folks.
Old 12-19-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Mark from DVDPlanet said Warner ran out of tins. I would guess it will be reissued without the tin. Just a guess. I doubt Warner would go through the trouble of making more tins, they will probably just make a cardboard version with all the same stuff. That action is not totally out of line as other movies have had repackaging after a short initial release.
Old 12-19-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, didn't even get a chance with this. Best Buy was sold out by the time I got there, and I've not seen a single copy anywhere since. Last I was told, no more copies would be coming. Had the impression this was based on its inventory status, not on any inside information, but I'm starting to think that is the case.

Wouldn't be surprised if it did return to store shelves sometime in the next few months, but with different packaging. No tin. Guess I'm going to need to starting looking into other ways of getting a copy.

--THX
Old 12-19-06, 11:03 PM

This is why I went ahead and ordered mine, bad disc or no bad disc.
Old 12-19-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I think Wildo1966 is stockpiling for future sales. He also has another thread about selling Twin Peaks Season 1 because those are going for big money too.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-19-06, 11:53 PM
Bye

Another quick informal poll. Do you guys think people in metropolitan areas are at a disadvantage because there's many more avid DVD collectors snapping limited edition items up, or are people in smaller cities losing out because the stores aren't stocking many copies? I live in kind of a smaller city, but one that's larger than those surrounding it, and it amazes me that the smaller ones have stuff I can't find here, even though there's less demand. I'm guessing that's why it's still available, but seeing as how my BEST BUY still had a few tins (though a couple of them were a little beat up) last time I was there, I'm thinking that the folks who can't find any must be in larger cities where collectors have snapped them all up (or eBay scammers have stockpiled them all). Just a weird phenomenon I've noticed and wondered if anyone had any idea which theory is closer to being correct.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.