DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ultimate Superman Deluxe Set OOP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 05:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
My thoughts exactly.
That's right I have them ALL! Everyone of them! No really, I own 1 set that I am keeping, I just think they will jump in value shortly...
Old 12-20-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just got this from buy.com, that doesn't sound good:

At Buy.com we strive to provide the widest assortment of high-quality products at the lowest prices on earth. However, sometimes circumstances beyond our control affect our selection.

We were recently informed that the item listed below from order #XXXXXXXX is no longer available from that supplier. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Your order for this product has been automatically cancelled. If you paid by credit card, you will not be charged. If you paid by another method of payment, for example PayPal or GoogleCheckout, please allow 2 business days to process your refund.

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 12-20-06 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 12:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Yup...my BUY.COM order was just cancelled too...thankfully I had bought a set to give as a gift, but I'm keeping that one now. At least now I don't have to explain why I ripped it open and 2 discs are missing!
Old 12-20-06, 12:57 PM

you guys might want to try Costco. I saw one at the Costco near me last night. It was going for ~$65.
Old 12-20-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Yeah, each CostCo I've been to still has a bunch of them, not to mention, at a good price.
Old 12-20-06, 02:05 PM

Just picked up the last one at my local Circuit City for $69.99 and the clerk gave me the Superman Returns Litho to boot!

I don't know much but this "rumor" made me a bit nervous about this set because I do agree that the tin adds alot of value to the set. I don't think I will be the only one rushing out to find this set.
Old 12-20-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this makes me angry. i went to best buy on release day and it was gone already. i haven't even seen a copy anywhere but in speedy's ads and i go to these stores at least once a week.

the set is on my xmas and birthday list, so hopefully i will get it on one of those days, otherwise, i'm going to have to go hunting.

i found more copies of the limited edition united 93 set than i saw of this.
Old 12-20-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
Just picked up the last one at my local Circuit City for $69.99 and the clerk gave me the Superman Returns Litho to boot!

I don't know much but this "rumor" made me a bit nervous about this set because I do agree that the tin adds alot of value to the set. I don't think I will be the only one rushing out to find this set.
I got spooked enough also to try and find it before they're all gone. I went to three stores (Sam's, Wal-Mart and Circuit City) and found it at Circuit City (they had three sets) for $69.99 (didn't get the litho though). But I got it home and popped in SIII and, lo and behold, it has the extras: commentary, making of, deleted scenes, trailer.

I'm not sure exactly how to tell if the SI disc has the missing soundtrack but mine has "English 5.1" and "English" as the first two audio choices. But I can't imagine they'd send out a corrected set where just one of the two problems was fixed.

I feel very lucky today.

Edit: update: I checked my SI disc with the criterion from Post #275 in the "Super Blunder" thread and according to that I do not have that corrected disc. Oh well, I have the correct SIII and I would always listen to the 5.1 mix of SI anyway so I probably will not bother to exchange it and risk that something could go wrong there.

I still feel very lucky.

Last edited by movielib; 12-20-06 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by movielib

I'm not sure exactly how to tell if the SI disc has the missing soundtrack but mine has "English 5.1" and "English" as the first two audio choices. But I can't imagine they'd send out a corrected set where just one of the two problems was fixed.

from the other thread

Originally Posted by Cameron
This is how I tested in case anyone wants to give a listen. at 10:14 into the film the dome is opening up. As soon as the beam of light clears the tower, a sound effect is heard on The 5.1 mix, as well as the 2.0 english track. However the french track does not have the sound effect. The corrected version should also be absent this sound on the 2.0 english mix.
Old 12-20-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
from the other thread
Thanks, I had already found it and I edited my above post while you were posting this. See two posts above for my results.
Old 12-20-06, 10:06 PM

Anyone having trouble finding it, I suggest Toys R Us. My local FutureShops, Best Buys, etc. haven't really had any since it came out, but I lucked out while doing unrelated Christmas shopping and picked it up right away. I guess most people don't think of getting DVDs at a Toys R Us (I sure didn't) as there were about a dozen on the shelves.
Old 12-21-06, 02:26 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't find it anywhere looked all over the place.
Old 12-21-06, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fok
I can't find it anywhere looked all over the place.
Have you checked Ebay? There were many sets there a few days ago and also pretty cheap also...Ebay appears to be the only way to get it right now..
Old 12-21-06, 03:01 PM

After failing to find one locally, anywhere, scored one on eBay this morning at Buy It Now for $71.99. There still are a few arounf the $75 - $80 mark.
Old 12-21-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just always assumed they were ooping the old, incorrect ones. when they correct it, they will re-release it. and if i get it without a tin, i could care less...hopefully that brings the price down 10 bucks
Old 12-21-06, 03:28 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
i just always assumed they were ooping the old, incorrect ones. when they correct it, they will re-release it. and if i get it without a tin, i could care less...hopefully that brings the price down 10 bucks
You'll probably get your wish, but unfortunately you and I are in the minority and a lot of eBay scammers are gonna rake in lots of dough before it's all said and done. I'm surprised the prices haven't started climbing already. Guess scammers aren't as up-to-date on DVD news as we are, but as soon as they get wind that it's OOP, I'll bet prices will hit the roof.
Old 12-21-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do people get so caught up? I saw mulitple copies of this set at several stores in the past two days. It's not exactly hard to find at this point.

Why would the wrong version of Superman III become valuable? It's the same disc that was released years ago, and has been in Wal-Mart bins for years. It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 12-21-06 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 04:58 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Why do people get so caught up? I saw mulitple copies of this set at several stores in the past two days. It's not exactly hard to find at this point.
Not for you, but it seems that on the average, it's pretty scarce.

Why would the wrong version of Superman III become valuable? It's the same disc that was released years ago, and has been in Wal-Mart bins for years. It doesn't make any sense.
That's not the point. There is material that is exclusive to this collection, not to mention the tin itself, which in all likelihood will not return when corrected sets are reissued, if that even happens. If you're responding to the OP's suggestion that people keep the "error" discs, then yes, that is a bit silly. It does make sense that since it was actually a new disc pressed wth the wrong content, they are kind of unusual. Still, it's not really a mistake that makes them desirable by any means.

I think the biggest panic is that people won't be able to buy the whole set, including the content that's exclusive to the set, and even if it is re-released, there's a very real possibility that it won't be in the limited edition tin.
Old 12-21-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess it just seems odd that if someone didn't want the set badly enough to pre-order it at a 30% discount, they would then turn around and pay twice the SRP a couple of weeks later on eBay just because of some internet rumblings.

If anyone in the Las Vegas area wants one, just check out Fry's, Best Buy, Zia, etc, they all had loads of copies on display as of a couple of days ago.
Old 12-21-06, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
I'm surprised the prices haven't started climbing already. Guess scammers aren't as up-to-date on DVD news as we are, but as soon as they get wind that it's OOP, I'll bet prices will hit the roof.
The buyers set the general price range, not the "scammers" as you call them.
Old 12-21-06, 07:26 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by The Cow
The buyers set the general price range, not the "scammers" as you call them.
Is that how you sleep at night? The scammers take advantage of the fact that they've got a hot item, and sites like eBay allow them to pit collectors against each other in a bidding war. Besides, you're absolutely wrong when it comes to sites like Amazon, where sellers have to name their price first. Even single-disc releases can start at around $100 just because sellers know some people will pay that much. I'm not saying that rare DVDs shouldn't command a premium, but many sellers take it way too far, or rely on desperate collectors to do it for them.

The worst are those who are now snapping up multiple copies of this thing, because not only are they making it more difficult for other collectors in their area to find one, but they will later take advantage of many of those same collectors when they auction it off to the highest bidder and reap untold profits from an unfortunate lack of supply due to a simple manufacturing problem.

Greed just bothers the shit out of me, and saying that people don't have to pay the high prices if they don't want to doesn't let opportunistic hoarders off the hook.
Old 12-21-06, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I think Wildo1966 is stockpiling for future sales. He also has another thread about selling Twin Peaks Season 1 because those are going for big money too.
It's almost useless to do that. I bought 2 of the Star Wars tins, one for trade bait (or ebay) and one for myself. That quickly turned into 2 for tradebait thanks to my new HD-DVD player. I just sold one (sealed and mint) on ebay for $78.57. Yep, a whole $8.58 more than retail. Contrary to what most people think, aside from a few select items, a lot of random ebayers either make a small profit, or no profit at all.

Now that I switched to HD-DVD a lot of my smaller DVD's I try to unload on here (in which I take a hit on), and my bigger sets I try to unload on ebay (in which a make a little bit of a profit.) This Superman set is no different, once I upgrade to the Superman HD's, it can say hello to ebay as well.
Old 12-21-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Is that how you sleep at night? The scammers take advantage of the fact that they've got a hot item, and sites like eBay allow them to pit collectors against each other in a bidding war.
What's your ebay user name?
Old 12-21-06, 11:44 PM

Can I ask a really dumb question? What does it matter if a dvd is in a box or a tin? Why does this matter? (Sorry, I just don't get it)

Also, isn't it easy enough to go and check DDD's listing for the corrected set, which shows the exact same 14 disc content? Anyone who overpays for this deserves to be ripped off.

Last edited by kintnerboy; 12-21-06 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-22-06, 12:35 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I think I'm going to order a couple online.

What's up with Twin Peaks - why is everyone going crazy for it now?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.