Reload this Page >

The Science of Sleep ----> 2/6/07

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Science of Sleep ----> 2/6/07

Old 02-14-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
GREAT news for people who loved this movie: In short, there is a complete version of this film from beginning to end that we haven't seen.
Kick-arse! More explosions!
Old 02-14-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Fingers crossed. If not hopefully someone can create one for download.
Old 03-21-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The French release is out now. If anyone's bought it, it would be nice to know if the bonus features have English subtitles or not, as well as the second cut of the film.
Old 03-21-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I loved Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine, but I had to shut this one off after 30 minutes.

Just annoying and boring. Plus I've never been a big fan of Bernal. I tried to like it but no dice. Oh well......
Old 03-21-07, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The French release is out now. If anyone's bought it, it would be nice to know if the bonus features have English subtitles or not, as well as the second cut of the film.
I ordered it from Amazon.fr, if no one chimes in before it gets here, I'll let you know
Old 03-21-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by domino harvey
I ordered it from Amazon.fr, if no one chimes in before it gets here, I'll let you know
Awesome, thanks a bunch.
Old 03-22-07, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

I got my copy of the french special edition today. The packaging is the best in my entire collection. I'm very impressed, though it might be hard to keep in good condition. Nobody will be borrowing this from me. There is a "BD" book included in the package, which basically is a cute comic (en francais) about something to do with the movie. It's called "les Petits Cadeaux Flippants de Stephane Miroux". It's presented quite nicely and I'm sure the story is interesting, I'm just quite slow at reading French.
I took a quick look at the discs and it appears that both features (A & B versions) have an English dolby dig 5.1 track with french subtitles. Version A also has a French version in dolby dig 5.1. It appears you have no options for the subtitles. They are on in french when the dialog is in english and they are off when it is in french. So if you don't speak a word of french you will miss out on some things.
There is commentary on both versions (version A has gondry and 3 actors, version B is just gondry), though I expect that to be completely in french. The supplemental features are as follows (there are a bunch), most of which are in french:
Disk A
-the making of science of sleep - 40 min
-if you rescue me (la chanson des chats) - 4 min

Disk B
-Les meandres d'un cerveau (the meanderings of a brain) - 19 min
-creatures de reve (dream creatures) - 11 min
-allo? (Hello?) - 7 min
-tire la chevillette - 10 min
-petits cadeaux flippants - 10 min
-gondry vs bompoint - 10 min

I have not watched the B version of the movie through, just skipped around through the chapters. I wouldn't expect a wildly different story. It seemed to me like it might be some new scenes mixed with alternate takes on scenes that are in the original version and basically following the same story line. But then again that truly is my impression after only a quick 5 minute peak at it.

I'll probably take a closer look at the set this weekend but my initial reaction is that it is worth it just on packaging alone. The dvd content might be frustrating at times if you don't have any french.
Old 03-23-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The packaging sounded great, I really wanted it, but I guess Gondry said there might be a UK R2 release with this same content so I suppose I should probably wait for that, but maybe I can learn French with this DVD
Old 04-01-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bunny_309
I'll probably take a closer look at the set this weekend but my initial reaction is that it is worth it just on packaging alone. The dvd content might be frustrating at times if you don't have any french.
So...verdict?
Old 04-02-07, 03:48 PM

are there pics of the packaging?
Old 04-02-07, 07:08 PM
Cool New Member

So...verdict?
My verdict is that it is worth it, but more due to the packaging rather than the bonus features. The version B is entertaining, but it really is just deleted or alternate-take scenes strung together... it's a stretch to say that it could stand on its own... The other bonus features are fun, but they aren't going to blow you away. If it weren't for the fact that the regular version doesn't have english subtitles during the french parts, I would say it was a no brainer. however, if you're english-only, then you'd want the regular version too and that makes double dipping on this one seem questionable. But if you really like the movie and have any knowledge of french, then definitely get this in addition to the regular edition (or wait to see if a UK version comes out if you're worried about the language issues).
Hope this helps. I should learn to post images effectively; I'd post pics of the incredible packaging.
-b-

Last edited by bunny_309; 04-02-07 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the word. I'm definitely hoping it gets a UK release, but if UK is WB I kind of think it won't be as nice a package design.