Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

[Superman] Ultimate Collector's Edition Super Blunder

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the foam would have been left out of all of them, not intentionally. I'm just guessing all the contents and all the stuff within this boxed set just gave them difficulties trying to keep consistant with 'em. Not that it's excusable. My set did have a piece of black foam inside of it though to keep the set in its place nicely.

I just returned from purchasing this set myself from the local Sam's Club, and my set was the only one out of the bunch they had that didn't sound like there was a loose disc inside. I can see why, too.

When handled carefully, this box set is fine for storing the discs and keeping in a collection at home. With shipping, I can see these easily getting bounced out of their plastic page sleeves and then being scuffed to kingdom come.

I had only one loose disc in mine... but it wasn't loose enough to be off its spindle thankfully. It was just on there well enough for me to have to push it back in, so all my discs were in good condition.

All of my discs were out of order as well, and had to spend a few moments putting them back in the proper order, which was no big deal. I have all my discs, no duplicates or anything like that. I do have the newer released corrected boxed set, all the discs seem to be the correct ones for this set. Overall the packaging is wonderful and it is quite an impressive box set for Superman. I like Superman, of course minus the third and fourth films, but this is an excellent boxed set for the price. I got it for $65 and for fourteen discs? And a metal case? And a nice little plastic sleeve over the set actually inside the box with a little holographic picture when tilted shows Superman busting up and through the 'S' symbol? Splendid. Well worth the money.

Just do the 'shake test' though. Strongly advise it. The contents should not shift around. The only thing you should hear at all, might be the booklets inside but even they sit inside a cardboard sleeve so if you think it might be a disc floating around in there but you're not sure... it's probably a disc. Even the booklets shouldn't be blatantly obvious when shifting.

Last edited by mzupeman2; 06-20-07 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-20-07, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/main/...er_service.jsp
Old 06-25-07, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, so I don't know how this happened, but my copy of Bryan Singer's video journals has disappeared (I know I had it when I bought the set cause I checked it when I got it).

Is it possible that the WB will send a replacement disc, 'cause I REALLY don't want to chuck out 90 bucks for a replacement or exchange it by saying it's a gift.

Last edited by ReduxGuy; 06-25-07 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure why you would think WB would replace a set because you, apparently, lost one of the discs. How is that their fault/problem?
Old 06-25-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Scott27
I'm not sure why you would think WB would replace a set because you, apparently, lost one of the discs. How is that their fault/problem?
Shoot, I misworded that. I meant a replacement disc.
Old 06-27-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Amazing this thread is still going.
Old 06-27-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,681 Likes on 2,648 Posts
Is there still people here who haven't received their replacement discs yet? Unbelievable!! The original bad set came out over 7 months ago.
Old 06-27-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I almost never wait for DVD's but I waited for this due to this large debate (and thank you for informing me of this blunder), I'm rather glad I did now.
Old 06-27-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Is there still people here who haven't received their replacement discs yet? Unbelievable!! The original bad set came out over 7 months ago.
Well, I just called last week, so they have an excuse with me.
Old 06-27-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by steebo777
Amazing this thread is still going.
Me too. Is this problem centered around one part of the country or something?
Old 06-27-07, 09:18 PM

Did all of the original copies of the set have the wrong discs? I bought mine in January and just checked now and they seem fine. Superman 3 is definitely the new disc (after reading the description and looking at the screen cap from the first post) and as far as I can tell, Superman one has the right audio track, but how can I check to be sure of that? The only thing I noticed odd about my set is that the cover of Look, Up In The Sky! is not half picture, half writing like the rest, it is just the regular cover that would come separately, but that doesn't bother me.
Old 06-27-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The guy in post #900 has the same questions.
Old 06-29-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
I got my discs yesterday. It only took six months of trying.
Old 06-30-07, 12:22 PM

I wanted to get my discs replaced and kept track of the process knowing it would take a while from the posts I read here.

05/01/07 - called for the envelope.
06/02/07 - envelope arrives and discs sent out next day.
06/27/07 - received the replacements discs.

So, almost a two month turnaround.
Old 07-20-07, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Imail724
The only thing I noticed odd about my set is that the cover of Look, Up In The Sky! is not half picture, half writing like the rest, it is just the regular cover that would come separately, but that doesn't bother me.

ummm... just got my set today and i noticed this as well. unfortunately, it DOES bother me. yes, i realize it is the same disc and that it should be about the features on the disc, but i'm pretty anal about my DVDs and to maintain uniformity. anyone know if there's a way to trade that in for a matching disc? since technically, it IS different than the disc shown on the back of the packaging. anyone else crazy like me and try to call warner bros.?
Old 07-20-07, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got my copy of the set from the FYE I work at, and I saw the discs were out of order.

None of the discs were "floaters", though, and I had all the discs, so everything's good.
Old 07-20-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,107 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by shyguy1083
ummm... just got my set today and i noticed this as well. unfortunately, it DOES bother me. yes, i realize it is the same disc and that it should be about the features on the disc, but i'm pretty anal about my DVDs and to maintain uniformity. anyone know if there's a way to trade that in for a matching disc? since technically, it IS different than the disc shown on the back of the packaging. anyone else crazy like me and try to call warner bros.?
Now that's being a little too silly and a lot too anal. Lighten up.

It's not like the disc shows thru the plastic case, then thru the large slip case, then thru the metal box which sits on your shelf.

Unless you have X-ray vision, I wouldn't worry about it (and the metal cases are lined with lead, which really makes your request unnecessary).
Old 07-20-07, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Now that's being a little too silly and a lot too anal. Lighten up.

It's not like the disc shows thru the plastic case, then thru the large slip case, then thru the metal box which sits on your shelf.

Unless you have X-ray vision, I wouldn't worry about it (and the metal cases are lined with lead, which really makes your request unnecessary).
yea, i know it's silly. and after perusing through the 37 pages of replies, it actually seems like that's the case with almost everyone getting the wrong artwork. if that's the case, then that's fine. since i waited to get this set because of the disc issues, i thought that maybe the newer releases were the only ones that had the wrong artwork or it was just my bad luck to get one (i've had several experiences with dvd sets having two of the same disc, missing one disc or coming loose during shipping and getting scratched crazily)! and since the artwork on the back of the set showed the "matching" artwork, i figured that it was probably the latter.

i do store my discs in large case logic holders though, so i technically browse through the superman discs and see the artwork whenever i'm going through S.
Old 07-20-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts
So... you're anal, but slide them into a case that can scratch dics? Nice.
Old 07-20-07, 04:22 PM

I got the Superman set early in the release, with the incorrect discs, and I also got the "old" artwork on the documentary disc. I was half-hoping they would correct that on these newer releases, even though it would be difficult for me to figure out a way to do an exchange (Maybe rent it somewhere and return the "old" artwork disc?). But I guess it won't be necessary since they still haven't corrected it. They probably had so many of those documentaries left over from the single release that they never had to print more. But I could see them finally correcting this someday down the road if they keep printing Ultimate sets and need to print fresh documentary discs. The matching artwork would make for a nice, consistent set of DVDs. Not a big deal, but I definitely prefer the boxed set graphics that disc was supposed to have to the old ones.
Old 07-20-07, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
So... you're anal, but slide them into a case that can scratch dics? Nice.
never had problems with those cases scratching my discs, to be honest. maybe a few miniscule scratches, but nothing that affects playback. plus, it gives me quicker access to the discs since i don't yet have a large shelf system to store my dvds. and people don't go grabbing at the actual packaging thinking they're taking it home when they're borrowing a movie.
Old 08-15-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,107 Likes on 676 Posts
My Superman boxset collection question: Who sent in for the free poster offer?

I mailed my check to them for the offer back on 6-13-07 and the check has still not cleared or been cashed. It's only $5.80 but it kinda sucks when you go to balance the checkbook each month and you still have an old outstanding check. It also makes me wonder if they got my offer in or if they are just taking their sweet time.

I sent off for a Spider-man mask offer to General Mills the a week later and they had cashed the check ($1.75) within the month and my son got his mask within a few weeks. Now that is proper turnaround time...even for a free item.

So has anyone had their checks cashed, gotten the posters, acknowledgement or something? Is there anyway to check on this?
Old 08-15-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I did, but months ago. I got the posters pretty quickly.
I got my boy's Spider-man beach towel from Kraft in like two weeks, I was quite impressed.
Old 08-15-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sent my poster offer out in May, i have to receive anything, or have my check cashed.

Is there a number or Email I can contact?
Old 08-15-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
So has anyone had their checks cashed, gotten the posters, acknowledgement or something? Is there anyway to check on this?
I sent mine off the day the set was released. It seemed like it took a couple of months before I got posters.

I ended up calling the number, that is somewhere in this thread, where we had to call to start the process on the disc replacement. They gave me another toll-free # to call, and they took care of me at that number. However, it's been so long ago, I don't have an idea what the toll-free # was to call. You might search this thread for the toll-free # that we had to call for replacement discs, and see if they can give you the number to call about the posters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.