DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looking for good DVD inventory program

Old 11-22-06, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobSolo
abanytime,
You need 2 programs:

Great detailed instructions snipped
Thanks, BobSolo! This sounds awesome and I can't wait to try it.

I look forward to your images when you get a chance.

- AB
Old 11-22-06, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Does anyone know how to export UPCs from DVDProfiler? Finally got DVDspot to work but I'm not about to start selecting within the multiple editions of each title all over again.
Here's a way of doing it, I'm sure there is an easier way, but:

1) Go to www.intervocative.com and view your collection online as you normally would.
2) Right click on the background of "list" frame and select view source.
3) About halfway down the source begins a long string starting with <TR><TD id=... This is the source for the links to the individual DVDs and each is identified by the UPC as the id. Copy that whole string all the way down to the end which should be </TABLE>
4) Paste this into Microsoft Word.
5) Search & Replace the following (be sure you have "use wildcards" selected:
i) Replace: <TR>*U= With: U=
ii) Replace: " target*U= With: U=
iii) Replace: U= With: Manual Line Break (select under the "Special" dropdown) You could do this for the previous step if you want.
6) You should be left with a single column of all your UPCs. You may have to clean up the 1st and last ones (I had some text leftover) but that's easy.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-06, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by abanytime
Thanks, BobSolo! This sounds awesome and I can't wait to try it.

I look forward to your images when you get a chance.

- AB
No problem.

It really looks clean on the Palm, unlike a lot of other html converters or adobe acrobat converter. I'll upload some picture tonight. iSiloX is free and iSilo for the palm is only $20 which is well worth it considering how well it converts html. I haven't tried it with the other online tracking sites, but I'm sure it will work. The nice thing about DVDprofilers online page is it is clean and contained, meaning there are no links to ads, or outside pages.
Old 11-22-06, 05:17 PM

Images are up on my original post. They aren't too clear, but you should get the idea.
Old 11-23-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use microsoft exel (old school).
what i do is type the name of the dvd
ex.
Reba-the complete 1st season

then i put a photo of the front cover art beside it.
it works for me & i didn't care for dvd spot or profiler cause they dont have all the dvd in the world listed on their & its just a pain.
i don't want to be spending more time cataloging my dvds than actually watching them.
Old 11-26-06, 04:33 AM

Can Delicious Library work without an Internet connection, once it's downloaded the cover art and DVD information from Amazon or whereever it gets such things, or does it always connect to the net every time it starts up? Does it have a means of mass uploading collections from any of DVDAf, DVDProfiler, etc? If not, can it use text or csv files to mass upload UPCs?
Old 11-26-06, 10:43 AM
Bye

Well, I haven't done a lot with the program yet, but I turned off my internet connection, and it started up fine. Obviously it's gonna try and check Amazon for cover art, but I'm pretty sure it's not an absolute must. It does have import capability, both from a file and from other apps, but I'm not sure what the file format has to be or what other apps it works with. Best to Google "Delicious Library" and find the homepage to read more about it.
Old 11-26-06, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Obviously it's gonna try and check Amazon for cover art, but I'm pretty sure it's not an absolute must.
That's OK with me, but I was more interested in whether it checks Amazon every time it needs to display cover art or other Amazon information, or whether it downloads once and you don't need a 'net connection thereafter.
Old 11-26-06, 11:22 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
That's OK with me, but I was more interested in whether it checks Amazon every time it needs to display cover art or other Amazon information, or whether it downloads once and you don't need a 'net connection thereafter.
Apparently the information for each item is downloaded once and stored somewhere. That's not to say it downloads Amazon's entire archive of information, but you won't get blank covers when you're not connected to the internet. You don't really ever need to download anything, since you can manually enter details and import cover art from your hard drive, but if you're just entering a UPC code, the program will look to Amazon or some other site unless you've set it to be manual-only, which I believe is an option.
Old 11-26-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any Collectorz.com users here who have used the export to HTML feature? I'm trying to set this up so I can display my collection. I've created webpages in the past, but I'm not sure how to get this to work. I just used my internet provider's free webpage offer so I can have a site to export to, but as far as doing that in the collectorz program, I can't seem to get things working.

Can anyone give a step by step procedure?
Old 11-27-06, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by BobSolo
No problem.

It really looks clean on the Palm, unlike a lot of other html converters or adobe acrobat converter. I'll upload some picture tonight. iSiloX is free and iSilo for the palm is only $20 which is well worth it considering how well it converts html. I haven't tried it with the other online tracking sites, but I'm sure it will work. The nice thing about DVDprofilers online page is it is clean and contained, meaning there are no links to ads, or outside pages.
Thanks again, BobSolo. I tried this and works like a charm. Very quick and easy and I'm thinking of other ways to use iSilo as well. It certainly seems worth the $20.

- AB
Old 11-27-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Any Collectorz.com users here who have used the export to HTML feature? I'm trying to set this up so I can display my collection. I've created webpages in the past, but I'm not sure how to get this to work. I just used my internet provider's free webpage offer so I can have a site to export to, but as far as doing that in the collectorz program, I can't seem to get things working.

Can anyone give a step by step procedure?
I have my own personally designed website for my DVD's, so I don't use Movie Collector's export feature, but I did try it and got it to work.

1) go to File>Export to>HTML
2) make sure "all movies" is selected in the Movies to Export field if that's what you want and click Export (make note of the Index Filename, so you can link to it later (index.html by default I believe)
3) It will export the HTML files/folders to a folder on your hard drive
4) Upload these files/folders to your webpage via FTP (this can take a while depending on your upload speed and number of titles with covers)
5) Get your page's URL and link to it's Index Filename.

Here are my test export with my first 30 DVD's by purchase date using the default export template and default settings: link. Of course you can tweak the settings on the export window and download different templates from the Collectorz site if you want to play around with them. Fully customizable if you know HTML or XML (for the templates). You may want to check out the Aqua template from user DaveC as it's excellent and he gives great support and updates on it on their user forum.

Last edited by matome; 11-27-06 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-27-06, 06:46 PM

I'm happy with DVD Profiler. I have used it for several months for free, but just last weekend registered it.
I use a bar code scanner to enter the movies, but if I didn't have one it would still be pretty quick as all I would have to do is type the UPC code to enter a DVD.
Old 12-06-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On dvdspot, is there a way to get the default of the "results per page" drop down box to be anything but 25?

any help appreciated.
Old 12-06-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
On dvdspot, is there a way to get the default of the "results per page" drop down box to be anything but 25?

any help appreciated.
That drop down box should list 25, 50, 100, 500 and All. Is it not viewable for you?
Old 12-07-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
That drop down box should list 25, 50, 100, 500 and All. Is it not viewable for you?
Yes it's viewable, but I was just wondering if there is a way to set it at a default of say 100 and not 25?

thanks.
Old 12-07-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Yes it's viewable, but I was just wondering if there is a way to set it at a default of say 100 and not 25?

thanks.
Just select 100 and click the "Save view preferences" located right next to it.
Old 12-08-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
Just select 100 and click the "Save view preferences" located right next to it.
Gracias. Don't know how i missed that.
Old 12-08-06, 02:51 PM

I have been using DVD Profiler. I have been using the custom reports and printing them out for binders I keep since I do not have the space for 400+ DVD cases.
There are several different reports available for download. We use the Sony CX-985V 400 disk jukebox and the handy reports makes it easy to find what we want to watch.
Old 12-24-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
Whats up with DVD Profiler not including certain HD movies? Aeon Flux, Land of the Dead, etc. Do they just pick and choose which movies they want to have in their database?
Old 12-24-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Whats up with DVD Profiler not including certain HD movies? Aeon Flux, Land of the Dead, etc. Do they just pick and choose which movies they want to have in their database?
It's a user crated database, if someone doesn't upload the profile, it's not going to be there.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that HD-DVD and Blu Ray shouldn't be in the program at all. They won't let DVD-Audio titles in, even though they all work in standard DVD players. But they're letting these new formats in that don't work at all in DVD players. They might as well allow VHS and Laserdisc profiles too.

I've pretty much given up on the main database, as it's virtually useless with the anal-retentive people on the Profiler website, who follow the contribution rules to the letter when it suits them , but then ignore them when they feel they've come up with a better way to do things. They also remove good data because they don't feel it conforms to the rules, even though none of what they remove is against the rules.

But having said all that, I can't imagine using anything else. I scan my own cover images, and I really don't need the database, so I can use the program pretty much forever even if the web portion goes away. There's still programs out there that let you easily import cast and crew data from IMDB, the online DB is easy to escape. It would be very tough to start using the program without the online DB, but once you've been using it for a while, most of the updates are worthless, or worse, removes good data.

Still, it's a great program, and the only online program I've ever paid to register.
Old 12-24-06, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing
I've pretty much given up on the main database, as it's virtually useless with the anal-retentive people on the Profiler website, who follow the contribution rules to the letter when it suits them , but then ignore them when they feel they've come up with a better way to do things. They also remove good data because they don't feel it conforms to the rules, even though none of what they remove is against the rules.

Tell me about it, talk about power trips. I tried using it for a while because I like its layout, but trying to get titles in there was way too much of a headache, and I don't have a scanner.
Old 12-24-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
It's a user crated database, if someone doesn't upload the profile, it's not going to be there.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that HD-DVD and Blu Ray shouldn't be in the program at all.
They're not supposed to be.
Old 12-26-06, 12:17 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
I use Ant Movie Catalog because it's free.
Anyone who has tried this - what script for what website do you use to get dvd info? The scripts for IMDB/Amazon/AMG are nice and all, but none of them have good info on the dvd's (number of discs, OOP, aspect ratio etc etc). Is there a script that the program comes with that I could use to get a little bit more info on the dvd's themselves?
Old 12-26-06, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by abaez
Anyone who has tried this - what script for what website do you use to get dvd info? The scripts for IMDB/Amazon/AMG are nice and all, but none of them have good info on the dvd's (number of discs, OOP, aspect ratio etc etc). Is there a script that the program comes with that I could use to get a little bit more info on the dvd's themselves?
Movie Collector(not free) has script to download all the specs, features, etc. from DVD Empire. Empire often has wrong aspect ratio listed though. Have to edit that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.