Reload this Page >

Universal Classic Sci-Fi Collection 9/19/2006

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-16-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.dvdreview.com/news/

For years fans have hoped that Universal would finally release some more of their golden age 50s science fiction films, especially Jack Arnold’s 1955 classic, Tarantula. The wait is finally coming to an end as Universal Home entertainment just unveiled The Classic SciFi Ultimate Collection which will be released on September 19.
The DVD set will contain “Tarantula, The Mole People, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters and Monster On The Campus. Universal has not yet revealed exact details about each of the films, such as special features, but with a low $19.98 sticker price, I would not expect too much in terms of extras.
Still, this is a venerable Jack Arnold celebration and I have no doubts that fans of the genre will dig these films up with eager anticipation. I know, I will. We will, of course, keep you up to date as soon as additional information becomes available.
I haven't seen anything else on this and it's not on Universal's home video site, but I thought I would put it up as I didn't see anything on DVDTalk about it. If it turns out to be a false alarm I'll delete the post.
Old 08-16-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope it's true!

The Incredible Shrinking Man =
Old 08-16-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RobCA
I hope it's true!

The Incredible Shrinking Man =

Sure, right after I finally give in and get the R2 release!

Hope it's all true, though .....
Old 08-16-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

saw the same thing on HTF....awesome

from charlesh

Universal is releasing five Sci-fi's in a collection (TARANTULA, THE MOLE PEOPLE, MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS, THEINCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, MONOLITH MONSTERS) priced at $19.98 on 9/19. Probably few, if any, extras but if memory serves me right, Orson Welles appeared in the trailer of THE SHRINKING MAN and that it was a hoot!
Old 08-16-06, 12:57 PM

Would Universal really announce this a month before the release date? Not that I'm complaining, this sounds like a great set, but I wonder about the 9/19 date.
Old 08-16-06, 01:13 PM

This is false information. This would have been up for pre-order a month ago, and it's absolutely nowhere to be found on any retail site.
Old 08-16-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome news. So glad to finally be able to own Tarantula. I wonder if these will be 2 per disc or flippers.
Old 08-16-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[girly squeel]The Monolith Monsters!!!!!!!![/girly squeel]

Fingers crossed that this is true!
Old 08-16-06, 02:02 PM

Wow I hope this is true. I've been waiting for The Incredible Shrinking Man for a while now.
Old 08-16-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daniel McKenzey
This is false information. This would have been up for pre-order a month ago, and it's absolutely nowhere to be found on any retail site.
agreed that the date is a bit fishy...but I could see them packing these together like this...makes more sense for an october release anyhow...promo with halloween movies
Old 08-16-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet!!

I can't wait for this to come out. I'm kinda disappointed that The Deadly Mantis is not on the list, hopefully Universal would release it on the next set.
Old 08-16-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Awesome news. So glad to finally be able to own Tarantula. I wonder if these will be 2 per disc or flippers.
Knowing Universal's history for sci-fi/horror collections, I imagine they'll cramp all the features onto one of those double-sided DVD-9s. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems with those discs, but I know some people have.
Old 08-17-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Sure, right after I finally give in and get the R2 release!

Hope it's all true, though .....
Ditto... also bought R2 Tarantula.

But I shall buy again!
Old 08-17-06, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel McKenzey
Things change.

The Classic Media Godzilla set was up for pre-order for a long time on most sites and they'd made a big fuss about it, but it has since disappeared from those websites so it looks like it;s been pulled (with individual releases starting in November instead).

Some releases get long announce times, some don't. Some stuff appears on store sites quickly after an announcement, some doesn't.

This is, after all, not what should be considered a major release. Even the inclusion of Tarantula and Incredible Shrinking Man don't pull it into that category.

Lastly, the two titles that released here in the UK (of which I've already bought one mutter...double dip time) suffered from changing release dates.

maybe Universal didn't want to make an announcement until they had afirm date for this set.?
Old 08-17-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

they still have not made an announcement, as there is no official press release, and it isn't up for preorder anywhere...
Old 08-17-06, 10:59 AM

Has anyone tried contacting dvdreview.com and asking them where they got their information? I wasn't familiar with the site, but looking at it now it doesn't seem like the kind of place where they would post deliberately false info just to mess with us sci-fi nerds. It must have come from somewhere. My guess is that we'll see this set sometime soon, but I'd be really surprised if it was 9/19.
Old 08-17-06, 02:08 PM

Hello People, I've been waiting for The Incredible Shrinking Man to hit DVD in the US for a long time now. Buried all my VHS tapes a long time ago. Unfortunately I came up with what could be distrurbing news while doing some digging to see if the rumor of this release is true. Looked at the Region 2 Release of The Incredible Shrinking Man on Amazon and one the reviewers states the aspect ratio is 1-78-1 and that they cropped the original release. In otherwords quite a few scenes do not appear as they should, such as chopped off heads etc. Figures. Wait all this time and they slice and dice the movie.
Old 08-17-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by indy81
Has anyone tried contacting dvdreview.com and asking them where they got their information? I wasn't familiar with the site, but looking at it now it doesn't seem like the kind of place where they would post deliberately false info just to mess with us sci-fi nerds. It must have come from somewhere. My guess is that we'll see this set sometime soon, but I'd be really surprised if it was 9/19.
I have sent an email to dvdreview.com. Also to Universal Home Entertainment, but who knows whether that will be answered, or the other one for that matter.

Several of the other DVD forums have this "news" listed, but they're all quoting the same source. So far, no corroboration.

Also, honestjohn, virtually all non-CinemaScope U.S. releases from about 1954 forward were intended to be exhibited in matted aspect ratios ranging from 1.66:1 to 2:1. The preferred ratio was probably 1.85:1. So a 1.78:1 AR for this title is likely an appropriate one. Tarantula is the earliest release at 1955, so all of them should be wider than 1.33:1. Does anyone know if there were exceptions for 1.33:1 AR on any of these titles?
Old 08-17-06, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I have sent an email to dvdreview.com. Also to Universal Home Entertainment, but who knows whether that will be answered, or the other one for that matter.

Several of the other DVD forums have this "news" listed, but they're all quoting the same source. So far, no corroboration.

Also, honestjohn, virtually all non-CinemaScope U.S. releases from about 1954 forward were intended to be exhibited in matted aspect ratios ranging from 1.66:1 to 2:1. The preferred ratio was probably 1.85:1. So a 1.78:1 AR for this title is likely an appropriate one. Tarantula is the earliest release at 1955, so all of them should be wider than 1.33:1. Does anyone know if there were exceptions for 1.33:1 AR on any of these titles?
Hi and thanks for the reply. Below is what I read over on Amazon. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, which is what caused my concern. Perhaps when it was put on VHS or Television, they used Open-Matte.

Cropped Classic - Amazon.com.UK
An absolute top-notch classic - one of the 3 finest SF classics from the 50's (along with The Thing From Another World and The Day The Earth Stood Still). Performances, direction, effects are all superlative: one of the few science fiction masterpieces that dares to delve into the metaphysical!

But please note: this edition, like many vintage classics now on DVD, is widescreen only in the sense that it is a full screen image cropped at top and bottom. This movie was never widescreen originally and so you lose some picture information here. This doesn't often matter too much, but in this case it does. The cropped framing doesn't look right - in some shots, feet and tops of heads are missing, when Scott Carey observes the dripping water tank he (and the audience) usually sees the water droplets splashing to the floor - in this edition, you don't. A small matter, but why can't Universal do what Warner does: offer both full frame and widescreen versions on one disc? Then we could choose which format we prefer.

Last edited by honestjohn; 08-18-06 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-18-06, 01:31 PM

Cross-posted from the Classic Horror Film Board (hope that's OK):

"The information is accurate and we just got the full details in this afternoon. However I am sadly not yet at liberty to share that information.
All I can say at this point is that the set will be available on September 19 and it will contain the films without any extras on 3 discs.

As soon as the embargo is lifted on our information we will make a full post on our site, explaining the rather unique circumstances of this release.

Guido Henkel, Editor
DVD Review - www.dvdreview.com"
Old 08-18-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thats cool...hope it come through
Old 08-18-06, 08:00 PM

Dvdreview.com is now reporting the set will be three discs and run $29.99, not $19.99 as previously reported. So that means no DVD-18s. They've also posted the very cheesy artwork.
Old 08-18-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish they were releasing these separately; the only one I'm interested in is The Incredible Shrinking Man...

Rob
Old 08-18-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thay artwork looks like a bad public domain release...yuck
Old 08-19-06, 04:21 AM

The good news: three discs (they've gone from one extreme with 8 quite long films on the Hammer set crammed onto 2 discs to 5 shorter ones spread over 3 discs in this set!)

The bad news: the cover. Can't imagine anyone seeing that on a shelf and wanting to buy it if they didn't know about the films already! It looks like a cheap public domain job.

Now if they'd only re-issue the Hammer and Lugosi sets on single-sided discs...fat chance I know..

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.