Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

1/only Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon thread - 5 Dec

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't tell you how happy I am this is finally coming out.

Last edited by BuddyRevell; 12-03-06 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just saw some episodes on the Disney channel, and it looks like the episodes have been remastered/cleaned up quite a bit. the colors and print looked great on TV; can only imagine them looking just as good on disc.

where are those PVC figurines from, BuddyRevell? very cool! too bad they never made action figures of the characters (from the show, not the games).
Old 09-28-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I would've loved some action figures. These pvc's come from Spain and Portugal. You can read all about them HERE

I bought all of them off of ebay but not all at once. Took me years to find Eric, Diana, Bobby, Venger, and DM. Tiamat is from regular D&D action figure line.
Old 09-28-06, 03:10 PM
Cool New Member

i will double dip with a smile on my face this time.

cheers,

jj
Old 10-16-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DDD and amazon have this up for pre-order.
Here's the cheaper DDD link:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BHV047530
Too bad the new release date is now after the 20%off sale though.
Old 12-03-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This Tuesday!! So Best Buy is offering an exclusive figure on this, but the weekly ad makes it impossible to tell what the figure is. Anyone have any imput on this?
Old 12-03-06, 11:21 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved this when I was a kid, wonder how it would hold up now though
Old 12-04-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,421 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
This Tuesday!! So Best Buy is offering an exclusive figure on this, but the weekly ad makes it impossible to tell what the figure is. Anyone have any imput on this?
I wasn't paying attention or I would have posted this last week, but when I was buying my Clerks II Mooby Meal box at Best Buy last Tuesday, there were about 4-5 of these on the table. The figure is a pewter-like dragon, say under 2", but nice looking.

The box itself is a two piece that looks like the old D&D game boxes, where you had the upper piece that fit over the lower piece.

The collector in me was sorely tempted, but watching the show on ToonDisney recently is just too painful.

It was the Best Buy in Downer's Grove, IL by the Toys R Us. I have no idea if they're still out or not.
Old 12-04-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info Milo. Sounds like it's just some random D&D figure that has nothing to do with the show. It would have been nice to get a figure based off the show. Now if the dragon is of Tiamat that would be something to be excited about.

For me, this show holds up very well. I own the import release and have watched all episodes and enjoyed the hell out of them. Can't wait for tomorrow.
Old 12-04-06, 06:32 PM

Show holds up great for me, as well.
Can't wait to get this tomorrow for me and my son.

Too bad they didn't include the D&D Miniatures Aspect of Tiamat figure with the DVD set. That'd raise some eyebrows and open some wallets.
Old 12-10-06, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just to make sure everyone saw it

Dungeons & Dragons box set question - music different in Dragon's Graveyard episode?
Old 02-14-07, 03:39 AM

Bump. Well, I never got this for xmas or my birthday (cursed family!), but I finally just got it from the b&n b1g1 sale.
And...DEFECTIVE!

Can anyone confirm this issue on their set?

Sound crackling and pixelation on the 2nd disc just a little before the 11:00 mark, when Bobby and Uni are climbing the volcano? It's the Servant Of Evil episode.
I just returned a set because I thought it was defective, and the second set has the same issue.
Now I have to make another return. AARRGGHH!

Last edited by basaro; 02-14-07 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by basaro
Bump. Well, I never got this for xmas or my birthday (cursed family!), but I finally just got it from the b&n b1g1 sale.
And...DEFECTIVE!

Sound crackling and pixelation on the 2nd disc just a little before the 11:00 mark, when Bobby and Uni are climbing the volcano? It's the Servant Of Evil episode.
Just checked mine. I get pixelation, but not so much that the screen is washed
out (looks like the screen is spotted with little squares). Lasts about a second
or two.

Bought mine on release and had to exchange it later that day due to horrendous
scratching on several of the discs. Took looking through about 4 sets to make
a set that was even passable (and of those some have those lovely areas of
light scuffs that you find from time to time in box sets). I'm assuming this
pixelation is just an annoyance and not a sign of something that a year from
now will have gotten worse and cause the disc to become unreadable?
Old 02-14-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Basaro, i confirm the problem. it's exactly what's happening with my disc, at the same spot. ran the disc across multiple players and dvd-roms, with the same pixilation at that point. i meant to bring this up on this forum, but the holidays overwhelmed me and i forgot to do it.

Originally Posted by basaro
And...DEFECTIVE!

I just returned a set because I thought it was defective, and the second set has the same issue.
Now I have to make another return. AARRGGHH!
Old 02-14-07, 03:21 PM

Well, that just burns my ass! It sounds like a widespread problem. They obviously fucked something up when they were mastering these dvds. It's not an issue with the original source material. I wonder if it's an issue on the UK dvds? At least those versions still have the original music too. I'll have to check it out, or maybe someone with the R2 version can respond here?

This set is getting returned for another sealed copy, so I can just sell it and wash my hands of this turd of a release. 20 years of anticipation for this, and I'm not impressed.
Old 02-14-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm going to try to write the manufacturer BCI Eclipse about this. i suggest you do so as well, so they know it's not an isolated issue.
Old 02-14-07, 05:04 PM

They should do a film of this and play up the Harry Potter kid angle,
milk it for everything it's worth. The people who own HP couldn't say squat.
Old 02-14-07, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by darmok
i'm going to try to write the manufacturer BCI Eclipse about this. i suggest you do so as well, so they know it's not an isolated issue.
OK, good idea. I will try too. Here's some contact info. I urge anyone who has this to email them and let them know we want replacements! I can live with that. I was so mad before I just wanted to return it, but if they fixed this error, I could live with it.

Here's some contact info:

General product and
consumer information
[email protected]

DVD Licensing and
Distribution information
[email protected]

I suppose the dvd email would be more effective.

Last edited by basaro; 02-14-07 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 06:39 PM

I just sent this email:

Subject: DVD Mastering problems with Dungeons & Dragons - replacements available?

Hi,

First I want to thank you for releasing the Dungeons & Dragons Cartoon Complete Series on DVD in R1. I've been waiting for this for 20 years.

But, I think there is a widespread mastering problem with Disc 2 in the set. In the first episode on the disc "Servant Of Evil", just before the 11:00 minute mark, there is about 1-2 seconds of scattered pixellated digital distortion accompanied by scratchy/crackling sound problems. It is very noticable and extremely irritating, and just ruins the whole set for me. I know this shoudn't be a problem with the master because I've seen this aired on TV many many times over the years, and there is nothing wrong with that sequence.

Are you aware of this problem, is it a widespread issue? I know of a handful of others who have the same problems with their sets. I myself have already returned one set to the store as defective and now have the same issue with the second set.

Is there a replacement program to fix these issues?

Thank you for your time,

X
Old 02-14-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just sent them an email about this tonight. if i don't hear from them within 48 hours, i'll call them up.
Old 02-14-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Just checked mine. I get pixelation, but not so much that the screen is washed
out (looks like the screen is spotted with little squares). Lasts about a second
or two.

Bought mine on release and had to exchange it later that day due to horrendous
scratching on several of the discs. Took looking through about 4 sets to make
a set that was even passable (and of those some have those lovely areas of
light scuffs that you find from time to time in box sets). I'm assuming this
pixelation is just an annoyance and not a sign of something that a year from
now will have gotten worse and cause the disc to become unreadable?
Yep happens on mine as well. It's very quick pixelation/static and goes right away. Bummer.

I can confirm that the UK version does NOT do this.
Old 02-15-07, 06:37 PM

I got this reply today:

Hello Brian

BCI is aware of the problem but it is something that can not be fixed. The problem is within the master and that is what was given to us.

So, apparently the UK and US versions used different masters? I sent a reply back to ask.

Other than that, nothing is going to be done. All we can do is let people know, so they are at least warned. I'm not keeping the set.
Old 02-15-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got that same exact cookie-cut reply from them, word for word. lame excuse! if they really cared, they would've looked into it more deeply.
Old 02-23-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

has anyone else noticed that Best Buy re-released this set recently with a blue "Limited Edition" wraparound sleeve (over the previous red boxset) and included Best Buy exclusive "4 Collector Cards"? i haven't been over in the TV section for a while, so i have no idea when this came out. i saw it today in the store and it stuck out like a sore thumb because i clearly did not remember the blue packaging. the metal figurine was the original BB premium, so i was surprised BB came up with another one.
Old 02-23-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed this just the other day too. I wonder if the cards have anything to do with the show? That metal dragon on the first set was just lame.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.