Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dungeons & Dragons box set question - music different in Dragon's Graveyard episode?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dungeons & Dragons box set question - music different in Dragon's Graveyard episode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a problem I guess, but I bought the Dungeons and Dragons box set of the cartoons (which is an awesome set by the way) and they did a very good job on it. On the episode "The Dragon's graveyard" where the kids debate killing Venger, the music is totally different than what was on the original episode. I had it taped on VHS from a long time ago (obviously) and also saw the episode on Youtube yesterday and the music was like I remembered. All the other episodes seem to be normal and unchanged from the past.
I know it's probably a goofy thing to bring up but that was my favorite episode and if you hear the original music instead of the new music, it fits a LOT better for what all is going on. anybody else know about this? How can I write BCI and ask them about it? Thanks for any responses.
Old 12-08-06, 05:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 953 Likes on 797 Posts
So does this set really stand the test of time? I mean i loved the cartoons when they were on, hardly remember though, and just wonder if it is worth seeking out...
Old 12-08-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
So does this set really stand the test of time? I mean i loved the cartoons when they were on, hardly remember though, and just wonder if it is worth seeking out...
Disney shows it Sundays, so check it out.
Old 12-09-06, 12:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 953 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Disney shows it Sundays, so check it out.
yeah, i found it. i have the channel, but it is on at 6:00am on Sunday and i can't tape. so it would be hard...

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-09-06 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
yeah, i found it. i have the channel, but it is on at 6:00am on Sunday and i can't tape. so it would be hard...
I already mentioned it in the big thread here
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....light=dungeons

but basically, IMHO, it's not that good. I can still enjoy other shows of that time period, but this one just doesn't do anything for me.

I thought I've seen airings in the late evening, maybe try checking again.

I don't want to seem like a threadcrapper, but he asked a legitimate question.
Old 12-09-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I thought I've seen airings in the late evening, maybe try checking again.
That's when I always watched it.
Old 12-10-06, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bummer they changed the music. Seems odd as BCI has always been really good at getting things put together correctly. The Master of the Universe sets are great, and when the first batch went bad they corrected it fast.
Old 12-10-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DAMN. That is one of my favorite episodes. I should check my UK boxset to see if it's unchanged.

And yes the show holds up very well to me. Eric is still funnier than ever.
Old 12-10-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
DAMN. That is one of my favorite episodes. I should check my UK boxset to see if it's unchanged.

And yes the show holds up very well to me. Eric is still funnier than ever.
Ditto on everything, except for the UK check. I have the R1 on my xmas list, so I'll be pretty disappointed with this if it's significant, although I'm really not sure if I will notice.

The only versions of this that I have now are the vhs copies I taped off Fox a few years ago. Were the versions aired then the same as the originals from way back when (It has been sooo long I don't think I'd even remember)?

Why the heck would they change the music anyway, there couldn't have been any rights involved, could there? It's not like having to obtain rights to Georgia On My Mind for the Quantum Leap sets (which incidentally I have not bought because of the music changes, as those are certainly significant, and I'd remember it.)
Old 12-10-06, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by basaro
The only versions of this that I have now are the vhs copies I taped off Fox a few years ago. Were the versions aired then the same as the originals from way back when (It has been sooo long I don't think I'd even remember)?
The prints used for the Fox run are the same Toon Disney uses on the weekends (the ones with the altered theme on the opening, which was done to make it in stereo for modern day airings). Those were the Saban International versions, which is what Disney ended up with, and presumably ended up on the UK release. Unless the original airings had this music, the Saban version had different, and this one reverted back? I'd say someone with old tapings of it from the CBS days should chime in to settle this.

Why the heck would they change the music anyway, there couldn't have been any rights involved, could there?
Just one song in all the episodes? There's no rhyme or reason for that. Perhaps they ended up with an earlier version with temp music for the DVD set. It just doesn't seem like they'd replace something so randomly on purpose.
Old 12-12-06, 09:03 AM

The new "changed music" is still music they use from the series, in other words, it's still "Dungeons and Dragons" music but it's not the same as the old episode and the old one is much better IMO and it's what I remember. Anybody know the email for BCI where I can ask them about it?
Old 12-12-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts
Somebody from BCI posted at the HTF, basically, it's rights. Some dude with a mad-on for Disney was gumming up the whole works, so they had to replace it or never release it.
Old 12-13-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can confirm that the old UK release DOES have the original music. Just got done watching it and the music has way more of an impact when the kids defeat Venger. It goes along perfectly.

This set is still a great release and would've bought it regardless, but since I have the OG episode on PAL it doesn't really bother me. Now if I didn't...I might feel differently.