Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

September Criterions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 07:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
No it's not! Everything is the same except the feature disc - # 51.1!

All you need to buy is that separate release if you choose to upgrade.
well, that would just be odd and not fit snuggly in the collection.
Old 06-14-06, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Come on...

You're "pissed about these"? If you DON'T want a better quality edition, then you have a perfect solution -- keep and enjoy the DVD you have. If you'd prefer the better edition, get it. I don't get the problem.

Did you really expect that an 8-year-old, non-16x9 transfer of a film would remain unimproved forever?

I can understand people bitching about double-dips that are done to screw people -- like Fox has been doing lately. Putting out a bare-bones and then following up with a 2-disc only six months later. But it has been 8 years. EIGHT. Most people reading this didn't even have a DVD player when these came out.
i'm pissed because i always want the "better edition"...it is a sickness like most here have. i can't help it, if there is something better out there i want it. if these were Fox they would be less than $20, some considerably so, but this is Criterion and thus $25-40 i would suspect. that is what i am pissed about and i think it is very understandable and justified.
Old 06-14-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold my Seven Samurai (2nd pressing) last year in anticipation of this release, so that is great news. Could the other films that comprised the Kurosawa boxset be far behind? Should one wait in anticipation of a new Kurosawa boxset or get this individual releasein September?

Also, I still have the Brazil 3 disc set and will probably upgrade as well, but am not sure if I will sell my current set or simply keep it and purchase the movie only edition. decisions, decisions...
Old 06-14-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I sold three of my Kurosawa discs when Criterion hinted at the new releases coming. I'm thrilled about Seven Samurai and may pick up that single disc Brazil as well (though I would really like to wait and see if Criterion supports HD DVD or Blu-ray down the road). Great news for September.

Funny how so many bitched that Criterion was taking too long to release their DVDs again with anamorphic transfers and now people are mad for them doing it. You really are never forced to double dip and there are many, many DVDs I have stuck with the first version on and skipped the newer release.
Old 06-14-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Double dipping on Seven Samurai and buying Brazil and Amarcord.
Old 06-14-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Funny how so many bitched that Criterion was taking too long to release their DVDs again with anamorphic transfers and now people are mad for them doing it. You really are never forced to double dip and there are many, many DVDs I have stuck with the first version on and skipped the newer release.
Well, I'm not mad at them for doing it, but they surely know their demographic; the very early-adopter types who surely are enthusiastic for HDTV. It was lovely of them to give plenty of warning that three of the worst-looking Kurosawa titles were gonna be upgraded (was there an announcement about 'Brazil'? if there was, I missed it.), I just can't help but think that they're gonna lose sales to potential customers with a tight budget who might hold off on buying this without assurance that there won't be another upgrade VERY soon and/or piss off customers who buy this only to find that they've only had time to play it once before having to buy it again.

Just a note saying that either no HD upgrade is planned over the next couple of years or else a warning that the different formates may well be coming out almost back-to-back. We're never FORCED to double-dip (quadruple-dip, actually - I still have my laserdisc boxes of 7S and 'Brazil') but we ARE forced to live with the edition we have if we don't

I'm very glad they did this; but they surely know that they're playing catch-up with a soon-to-be-obsolete NTSC edition.

Having said that; when are the anamorphic editons of 'Salo' and 'Alphaville' coming out?
Old 06-14-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad to hear of the new anmorphic Brazil release. I had never seen the movie, so I rented the current Criterion disc and loved it. The only reason I didn't buy the current Criterion DVD is because it's non-anamorphic. I figured it would be re-released eventually. I'm glad I waited!
Old 06-14-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be buying the Seven Samurai set and the Brazil 3-disc set. My wallet is hurting for September already (also buying Blade Runner as well). Thankfully, I'm asking for the Star Wars DVD box set for Christmas.
Old 06-14-06, 11:01 PM

Just ordered these on amazon.ca so the prices are in CDN$:

Spirit of the Beehive $31.42
Jigoku $23.55
Brazil (1 Disc) $23.55
Seven Samurai (3 Disc) $39.80
Old 06-15-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope Playtime is part of the Tati box that was hinted about a few months ago.
Old 06-15-06, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by DVD King
Scott, no offense, but no one cares if you're compusively forcing yourself to re-buy a dvd. I certainly don't, and wish I didn't have to scroll through the page to find anything worth reading because of some argument that will go no where
yeah...tough noogies.
Old 06-15-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, 3-disc set for seven samurai,cool! I might just have to upgrade that sometime.

I'm undecided yet whether to sell my current brazil set and re-purchase the whole thing, or just upgrade to the single disc release for the new transfer. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.
Old 06-15-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I wonder if the 3-disc set of Brazil will use a new packaging style---I'd love to see a digipak case or three thinpaks in a slipcover. They'll probably stick with the old one, though, especially for the single-disc release.
Old 06-15-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I wonder if the 3-disc set of Brazil will use a new packaging style---I'd love to see a digipak case or three thinpaks in a slipcover. They'll probably stick with the old one, though, especially for the single-disc release.
From the artwork that was provided on the first page, it looks like they might be sticking with the old style, even though they changed both Amarcord and Seven Samurai for the new issues. I imagine Brazil will receive a Charade-like release.

They'd probably be able to pull off the completely new Brazil set in a new format (clear thinpacks are a great idea - good for those who don't have the set, but not quite tempting enough for those who've already got it), as long as that single disc 16x9 release can mold into the old set.
Old 06-15-06, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by FilmFanSea
Really?

The only difference between the new edition and the old edition of Brazil (perhaps the most-lauded special edition box set of its era) is the new anamorphic transfer from a high definition master (the previous letterboxed transfer was based on the now ancient laserdisc master). The Beaver caps show images lacking sharpness (it will also be interesting to see if the colors are altered during remastering). I expect the new transfer to be a substantial improvement for this visual extravaganza of a movie. I'll happily plunk down $19-20 (etail price) to upgrade the first disc in my boxset.
Well, it's not that I hate double dipping, it's just that I've watched the dvd a grand total of two times throughout the tenure of my ownership of it, and I can say I won't watch it for a while, despite me loving the film.
I just may buy the single disc - whatever. It must look great for me to double dip.
But like I said, the Seven Samurai looks astounding and I'll gladly double-dip for new special features and a better transfer. I don't think I've seen my Seven Samurai dvd more than once, but I don't mind.

The Spirit of Beehive sounds great - I am looking forward to it very much.
Old 06-15-06, 12:11 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Step 1: People beg and hope for an anamorphic Brazil for 7 years.
Step 2: Criterion: "Okay!"
Step 3: People compain that Criterion has released an anamorphic Brazil after 7 years.

Whatever.
I've not been one of those begging and hoping for an anamorphic Brazil. To be honest, I couldn't give two shits about the re-releases of it or The Seven Samurai. Would it be too much for, I dunno, Sansho the Bailiff? Some Naruse? How about something new from Eastern Europe? Maybe a Kustarica? What about some Theo Angelopolous? Jesus, there's tons of great cinema out there being ignored, while we get - even more Kurosawa.

I'm so underwhelmed I can hardly muster the energy to type.
Old 06-15-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by illennium
If anything, double-dipping with Criterions is much easier than with other titles, because they do not depreciate in value. It's easy to sell the old version on Half for around $20 and then buy the new one for around $25. That's what I do. I don't really understand the complaining.
That's what I do. I sold my old Fritz Lang's M Criterion for more than I paid for the new one.

Originally Posted by scott1598
well, that would just be odd and not fit snuggly in the collection.
Uh, just replace the disc in the old one with the new one and ditch Criterion's new styled case.
Old 06-15-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remastered and packed to the gills Seven Samurai?
Remastered and packed to the gills Amacord?
Remastered Brazil that's available in a single-disc for those of us who already own the boxset?

Criterion is going to make me poor come September.
Old 06-15-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Would it be too much for, I dunno, Sansho the Bailiff? Some Naruse? How about something new from Eastern Europe? Maybe a Kustarica? What about some Theo Angelopolous? Jesus, there's tons of great cinema out there being ignored, while we get - even more Kurosawa.
Keep in mind that Criterion has to actually make some money too...

While it may be unfortunate, I suspect that the vast majority of people (even "film buffs") wouldn't have the slightest clue about anything that you just typed above.

But -- even being double-dips -- things like Brazil and 7S will sell quite well. I don't begrudge Criterion sprucing up some of their best-sellers that were originally in mediocre editions. And, honestly, the thought of a 3-disc 7S pretty much makes me cream my pants.
Old 06-15-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FilmFanSea
Really?

The only difference between the new edition and the old edition of Brazil (perhaps the most-lauded special edition box set of its era) is the new anamorphic transfer from a high definition master (the previous letterboxed transfer was based on the now ancient laserdisc master). The Beaver caps show images lacking sharpness (it will also be interesting to see if the colors are altered during remastering). I expect the new transfer to be a substantial improvement for this visual extravaganza of a movie. I'll happily plunk down $19-20 (etail price) to upgrade the first disc in my boxset.
while not exactly thrilled to be "upgrading" this title, these sentiments echo my own. i will spring for the single disc.
Old 06-15-06, 12:55 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Keep in mind that Criterion has to actually make some money too...
Well, they'd make more money from me if they'd release fewer DVDs of tired old classics from Fellini and Kurosawa, and more films by people whose work is hard to find. I saw Amarcord and Seven Samurai decades ago, in a cinema, I don't really feel the need to buy them on DVD.
Old 06-15-06, 02:42 PM

As tempting as these are, I'm thinking that they are perfect titles to re-buy in Blu-Ray whenever Critierion dips it's toe in and I get a player.
Old 06-15-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Well, they'd make more money from me if ...
Sure, from you, but your tastes run too esoteric even for Criterion to make any kind of money on - they make money on the Kurosawas, so they can in turn fund the more obscure titles you're into.
Old 06-15-06, 03:17 PM

Playtime is in with the September Criterions.

Old 06-15-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Others have chimed in with suggestions of non-anamorphic Criterions in need of an upgrade, and I'd love to see cleaner transfers for both The Killer and Hard Boiled.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.