Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

September Criterions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can there be too much of a good thing?

Amazon has now listed Jacques Tati's Playtime for a September 5th Criterion release. This would be the 2-disc, anamorphic special edition many of us have been waiting for.

Since Image (Criterion's distributor) hasn't listed Playtime among the September releases yet, it might be prudent to await official confirmation before popping the Champagne cork.
Old 06-14-06, 12:45 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Good news about the Erice.
Old 06-14-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
16x9 Brazil.
Old 06-14-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazing news all around! I am feeling uncharacteristically giddy.
Old 06-14-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd be a lot more excited about the 7S and 'Brazil' remasters if I had any confidence that I wouldn't have to quadruple dip on them when the inevitable HD-DVD editions come out. (or possibly blu-ray; have Criterion announced which format they're supporting yet?)
Old 06-14-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
I'd be a lot more excited about the 7S and 'Brazil' remasters if I had any confidence that I wouldn't have to quadruple dip on them when the inevitable HD-DVD editions come out.
Well, that really doesn't make these releases different than any others, by any company. Nearly everything will probably come out in HD eventually, so every standard DVD purchase going forward (double-dip or otherwise) carries this 'risk' (if you want to call it that).

Assuming that Criterion retains the rights to these films in that medium, these will eventually land on HD-DVD as well.
Old 06-14-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rmick
Will disc 2 and 3 of Brazil be anamorphic now?
Or does it even matter?
It's been a long time since I watched the 'Love Conquers All' cut that is Disc 3, but I'm virtually positive that it's a 1.33 transfer, because little or no effort was put into cleaning up the transfer they were provided, which was the transfer prepped for TV broadcast.

And disc 2, the documentaries, I think, are 1.33 as well. They were shot for the 'Brazil' LD, so it seems likely (but, again, it's been a while).

I think it's cool they're releasing it the way they are.
Old 06-14-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Am I the only one that's not too stoked? Seems like a lot of re-releases and no NEW movies. I love the fact that they will be better releases but for cripes sake there are 100 movies Criterion need to put out before DVD goes the way of the do-do.
Old 06-14-06, 04:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
i'm pissed about these. i mean other production company double dips are one thing, but being Criterion and the prices they garner is a whole nother. Brazil was the cornerstone of my Crit collection and now the whole set is completely rendered obsolete.
Old 06-14-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Step 1: People beg and hope for an anamorphic Brazil for 7 years.
Step 2: Criterion: "Okay!"
Step 3: People compain that Criterion has released an anamorphic Brazil after 7 years.

Whatever.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 06-14-06 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The artwork looks good, and I'm excited about all of these releases (re-release and otherwise). I'll probably pick up most of them eventually.

I've just got a question about the spines on the re-releases. It seems they're using the new style with the tab, and if they use the same spine number, it's going to look pretty awkward for all the people that sort by spine. Not to say I won't pick these up, I'm just nitpicking.
Old 06-14-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy crap, that's quite a few re-releases. I got rid of Seven Samurai a while ago so this is good news, never picked up Amarcord because I've heard that the transfer was poor. The only thing that I'll be DP'ing on is Brazil. At least I can keep the old cover. The C in the corner looks like shit. I can't belive that the people over at Criterion are happy with the changes they made to their covers.

The Spirit of the Beehive I've heard about for a while and will gladly add it to my collection.

Jigoku I've never heard about but the description sounds pretty enticing, so it looks like I'll be getting all of the September realeses.

Good work on the films Criterion, but I wish you would stick to the old format of covers. The changes they made are not for the better. Oh well, it's the movie that realy counts.
Old 06-14-06, 04:39 PM

I will probably double dip on Seven Samurai.
Old 06-14-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those waiting for Criterion in HD may be waiting for a while.
Old 06-14-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Looks like it's time for another upgrade (re Seven Samurai)
Same here. I already have the second pressing of Seven Samaurai but definetly get the 3-discs, I just loved this movie.
Old 06-14-06, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
Brazil was the cornerstone of my Crit collection and now the whole set is completely rendered obsolete.
No it's not! Everything is the same except the feature disc - # 51.1!

All you need to buy is that separate release if you choose to upgrade.
Old 06-14-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i'm pissed about these. i mean other production company double dips are one thing, but being Criterion and the prices they garner is a whole nother. Brazil was the cornerstone of my Crit collection and now the whole set is completely rendered obsolete.
Come on...

You're "pissed about these"? If you DON'T want a better quality edition, then you have a perfect solution -- keep and enjoy the DVD you have. If you'd prefer the better edition, get it. I don't get the problem.

Did you really expect that an 8-year-old, non-16x9 transfer of a film would remain unimproved forever?

I can understand people bitching about double-dips that are done to screw people -- like Fox has been doing lately. Putting out a bare-bones and then following up with a 2-disc only six months later. But it has been 8 years. EIGHT. Most people reading this didn't even have a DVD player when these came out.
Old 06-14-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I can understand people bitching about double-dips that are done to screw people -- like Fox has been doing lately. Putting out a bare-bones and then following up with a 2-disc only six months later. But it has been 8 years. EIGHT. Most people reading this didn't even have a DVD player when these came out.
On top of that, Fox usually releases these 2-disc editions in other regions first, and only screws R1.

I totally agree with you. If you don't feel the need to upgrade, don't!
Old 06-14-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, double-dipping on $14.95 and $19.95 titles won't seem so terrible after this ......
Old 06-14-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I never got around to getting Seven Samurai so I will definitely be picking that up.
Old 06-14-06, 06:59 PM

Ugh... I bought Brazil last month.

This September is going to suck... so much is being released.
Old 06-14-06, 07:07 PM

If anything, double-dipping with Criterions is much easier than with other titles, because they do not depreciate in value. It's easy to sell the old version on Half for around $20 and then buy the new one for around $25. That's what I do. I don't really understand the complaining.
Old 06-14-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dear Criterion:

I am very pleased to see you are revisiting some of your older titles with new 16 X 9 transfers.

Could Walkabout be next, pretty please?
Old 06-14-06, 07:26 PM

Definitely double dipping for Seven Samurai and Amarcord.
The new edition of Brazil doesn't sound so special...I'm content with the previous transfer.
Old 06-14-06, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by dman988
The new edition of Brazil doesn't sound so special...I'm content with the previous transfer.
Really?

The only difference between the new edition and the old edition of Brazil (perhaps the most-lauded special edition box set of its era) is the new anamorphic transfer from a high definition master (the previous letterboxed transfer was based on the now ancient laserdisc master). The Beaver caps show images lacking sharpness (it will also be interesting to see if the colors are altered during remastering). I expect the new transfer to be a substantial improvement for this visual extravaganza of a movie. I'll happily plunk down $19-20 (etail price) to upgrade the first disc in my boxset.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.