Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SUPERMAN RETURNS: DVD & HD-DVD in November

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 240 Likes on 206 Posts
SUPERMAN RETURNS: DVD & HD-DVD in November

In a new interview over at The Hollywood Reporter, Superman Returns director Brian Singer talks in-depth about how he came to be involved in bringing the Man of Steel back to the big screen, and reveals a little bit about what you might expect to find on the November DVD & HD-DVD release of the film. According to Singer, all of the online "weblogs" that have been posted on BlueTights.net will be included. Though he's yet to decide for sure, Singer may also include a major deleted sequence from the film. He's also preparing something called the In-Movie Experience (this would be for the HD-DVD version - watch for a similar feature on the yet-to-be-announced Batman Begins HD-DVD) where you can watch behind-the-scenes video on the making of the film in a windowbox while you're watching the film itself. In any case, it's a good interview, so do check it out.

THEDIGITALBITS
Old 06-10-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So finally the HD-DVD's will be getting exclusive features
Old 06-10-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'd think The Bits would know by now that his name is Bryan Singer.
Old 06-10-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by critterdvd
Let the SD-DVD bitching commence!
Old 06-10-06, 03:47 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if he's already thinking about v1.5
Old 06-10-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I wonder if he's already thinking about v1.5
Nah, Warner is pretty good about not double dipping, unlike Fox, who produced the X-Men movies/DVDs. Frankly, I'm surprised we only have one version of X2.
Old 06-10-06, 12:15 PM

Since Warners has stated that they'll be supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray, will the Blu-ray editions be streeting on the same date as the HD-DVDs? (This is assuming, of couse, that the oft-delayed Blu-ray format actually makes it to market at some point prior to November!)
Old 06-10-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 182 Posts
Hopefully this could be one of the first movies I pop into my PS3 BD player. If Warner releases the movie in BD, if PS3 comes out, lot of "ifs" in this equation.
Old 06-10-06, 05:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

While what I'm about to say is sure to start some sort of argument, not pointing that at you, FWIW. While that is bound to happen (exclusives on HD releases), I'm not sure how wise it would be at this point... you're keeping content out of the hands of alot of the customer base... and I don't think extra bonus features is going to get people to adopt earlier if they haven't based on audio & visula improvements you see with HD.
Old 06-10-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
I'm not sure how wise it would be at this point...
It's happened sooner than you think. The already-released The Bourne Supremacy and Constantine have HD DVD-exclusive "In Movie Experiences" as well, and I think the nature of that feature means it has to be exclusive to HD DVD. I think it'd be silly to have something normal like featurettes be exclusive to one format over another (which Syriana is apparently doing in a couple of weeks), but I don't think HD DVD and Blu-ray discs should be limited just because they can do neat things that DVD can't.
Old 06-10-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It doesn't really say anything about "exclusive" features for HD-DVD. It's possible that the same content will be there, but you won't be able to watch it in a window while the movie plays. (I would strongly prefer to watch it separately anyway.) Of course, I don't expect them to stop the two-tiered release scheme with this one, so you would need to get the 2-disc version to see it.

Or, it may be on a bonus disc in the boxed set.
Old 06-11-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vipper II
Nah, Warner is pretty good about not double dipping, unlike Fox, who produced the X-Men movies/DVDs. Frankly, I'm surprised we only have one version of X2.
The reason, according to Singer himself, for the release of 1.5 was for the fact that most of the special features couldn't be finished in time for the first DVD release of the flick.
Old 06-12-06, 04:09 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joseph B
Since Warners has stated that they'll be supporting both HD-DVD and Blu-ray, will the Blu-ray editions be streeting on the same date as the HD-DVDs? (This is assuming, of couse, that the oft-delayed Blu-ray format actually makes it to market at some point prior to November!)
I remember reading somewhere that the upcoming Superman collection (which will come out at the same time and should include Returns, if I'm not mistaken) will be on HD-DVD and Blu-ray, so we should be seeing the standalone set on Blu-ray.
Old 06-12-06, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I remember reading somewhere that the upcoming Superman collection (which will come out at the same time and should include Returns, if I'm not mistaken) will be on HD-DVD and Blu-ray, so we should be seeing the standalone set on Blu-ray.
Uhhh...and HD DVD.

I'm not really sure what the point of your post was other than to promote the formats.
Old 06-12-06, 02:46 PM
Banned by request

If you read the quote above my post, you would see that someone specifically ASKED whether or not it will be on Blu-ray. Since they already announced HD-DVD, I think it would have been redundant to mention it, considering it was taken as given.

I know you'd probably sacrifice all your Madonna tickets to see Blu-ray fail, but honestly, that post was really pointless, since I was simply answering somebody's question.
Old 06-12-06, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
sadly we wont see the IMAX scene in 3D...
Old 06-12-06, 03:39 PM

There should not be any bitching about SD not receiving some content.

HD-DVD allows some features that CANNOT be on SD-DVD.

Also, size constraints for SD-DVD versus HD-DVD may also play a part in whether something is included or not.
Old 06-12-06, 03:39 PM
Banned

If you read the quote above my post, you would see that someone specifically ASKED whether or not it will be on Blu-ray. Since they already announced HD-DVD, I think it would have been redundant to mention it, considering it was taken as given.

I know you'd probably sacrifice all your Madonna tickets to see Blu-ray fail, but honestly, that post was really pointless, since I was simply answering somebody's question.
Honestly, I don't care all that much about it. BD will have whatever happen to it in due time. I'm not going to prophesize about it.

Funny how when people try to insult me on this board, it always comes back to Madonna. Kinda cheap, if you ask me.
Old 06-12-06, 03:45 PM
Banned by request

The only reason I mentioned it is because it's the only thing I know you're really into. I like Madonna too, so it doesn't mean I'm slamming your taste in music.

All I'm saying is, your post seems like nothing but a jab, since someone was only asking a question. I didn't come in here going "Ohhh Blu-ray is better, Blu-ray will win!" Somebody asked if we'd see this film on Blu-ray (since the HD-DVD was already mentioned) and I answered his question. End of story.

Meanwhile, I cannot wait to hear about how Singer secured all the footage from Superman I-II from the Salkinds. Considering how litigious the Salkinds are, that alone should be an interesting story.
Old 06-12-06, 03:49 PM

Isnt it possible that Warner wont release anything on BD until they either have double layered discs OR have the capacity to include all the features (by using a different encoding method)??

It would be a huge black eye for BD if the HD-DVD release had more content than the BD release.

For example, right now, all the hd-dvd releases have at the very least, the same content as the sd-dvd. But, the Fifth Element BD disc will not (at least whats been described so far).

So, it seems to me that anyone claiming its inevitable there will be a simultaneous BD release is jumping the gun.
Old 07-22-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 240 Likes on 206 Posts
Appearing at Warner Bros' "Superman Through the Ages" panel at the San Diego Comic-Con, director Bryan Singer answered a few crucial questions about the upcoming Superman Returns DVD. According to Singer, there won't be an extended cut of the film for home video. The DVD will have many deleted scenes, just not cut back into the body of the film.

As for one of the most talked-about deletions from the final cut of the film, "The Return to Krypton" sequence which was to have originally opened up the movie will not be included on the DVD - not even as a deleted scene. Singer explained that the sequence (which cost almost $10 million to realize) needs to be seen on the big-screen to be fully appreciated, so it may appear in a future theatrical or IMAX re-release. No street date was announced, but Superman Returns is expected to street on November 28th along with the remastered Superman collection.

DAVISDVD.com
Old 07-22-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Appearing at Warner Bros' "Superman Through the Ages" panel at the San Diego Comic-Con, director Bryan Singer answered a few crucial questions about the upcoming Superman Returns DVD. According to Singer, there won't be an extended cut of the film for home video. The DVD will have many deleted scenes, just not cut back into the body of the film.

As for one of the most talked-about deletions from the final cut of the film, "The Return to Krypton" sequence which was to have originally opened up the movie will not be included on the DVD - not even as a deleted scene. Singer explained that the sequence (which cost almost $10 million to realize) needs to be seen on the big-screen to be fully appreciated, so it may appear in a future theatrical or IMAX re-release. No street date was announced, but Superman Returns is expected to street on November 28th along with the remastered Superman collection.

DAVISDVD.com
Oh please. Sounds like the lack of a big B.O. hurt the Krypton scene from being on the DVD. I really don't see the point of re-releasing the movie with an added scene, and expect it to somehow get more people to come.

Just put the damn thing on the DVD and get it over with. Who gives a flip if it will be 'fully appreciated' on the big sceen better, which sounds like complete BS anyways.
Old 07-22-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This release on HD DVD might be the killer app that I need to push me into buying a HD DVD player in November.
Old 07-22-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO, this is reason enough to not make a big deal out of dvd's with tons of special features. As long as a few things are there for extra material on any dvd, or they match up pretty well, that should be good enough for most. Fact is the studios are gonna keep doing this in the future with HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs, and if your a dvd collector you just got to hope that they don't completely water down the dvds. That would be a nightmare.
Old 07-24-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know the link to the interview....i tried to find it but came up short....

(thanks)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.