Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

SUPERMAN RETURNS: DVD & HD-DVD in November

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SUPERMAN RETURNS: DVD & HD-DVD in November

Old 07-24-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it will happen, but here's to hoping for a DTS/DTS-ES track.
Old 07-25-06, 08:56 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
to omitting the deleted Krypton scene.
Old 07-25-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the name of the movie states: "Superman Returns". So will the dvd in many forms and add ons and add ins and new features etc etc.
Old 07-25-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
to omitting the deleted Krypton scene.
I have to agree... and, given that the box office was ultimately disappointing and one of the complaints was the length/pacing (see the WSJ article from last week), I think it's a bit of a pipe dream to expect that an expanded edition will ever hit theaters.

So, since the scene is so cool (and expensive), it won't be released? That doesn't make any damn sense. Lots of stuff looks better on the big screen, that doesn't mean that you withhold it from home theater.

Sounds like they're simply holding it back for an eventual Superman Returns 1.5 ("with the deleted krypton sequence -- because the fans demanded it!") Lame.
Old 07-25-06, 11:19 AM
Banned

Can someone sum up what happened in that scene?
Old 07-25-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I dont know if anyone has seen it, but I assume its just the scene where Supes goes back to Krypton...they barely touched on that in the movie.
Old 07-25-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good info about all the known cut scenes (with pics):
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movi...c=sr-cutscenes

Also, from http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=7717:

At last year's Comic-Con International in San Diego, director Bryan Singer wowed a packed room with five minutes from "Superman Returns," including images of Superman (as portrayed by Brandon Routh) in a crystal vessel, decked out in gray Super-duds. We saw his crystalline ship pass through the remnants of Krypton in a stunning special effects sequence. Alas, it was not meant to be, at least when it comes to the theatrical version.

"I don't desire to have exceedingly long movies," exlained Singer at the June 9th Press Junket. "The first X-Men movie is something like 80 minutes. What happened was I had this cut and it was timed to sit with an audience, what I call a friends and family screening, and as I'm watching it I looked at certain things and felt certain things and one of those was really tough - it was the "Return To Krypton" sequence. A whole sequence in space. A very expensive, elaborate sequence, but in the context of this movie it just wasn't necessary and it wasn't important. It could live afterwards."

It's hard to argue with Singer's reasoning, as the essence of the journey is conveyed in a short discussion between Clark and Martha Kent, and at 2.5 hours, the film is already quite full of beautiful sequences. Devoted Superman fans, or lovers of special effects, will no doubt drool over the sequences when they presumably surface on DVD and for now, fans can rewatch trailers to catch a glimpse of the sequence.
Old 07-25-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joseph B
....(This is assuming, of couse, that the oft-delayed Blu-ray format actually makes it to market at some point prior to November!)
I'm curious as to what you mean by this. I see Blu-ray discs right next to HD-DVDs at most every store that sells DVDs and they've been there for quite some time now. The only places I don't see Blu-rays in are those that aren't selling HD-DVDs either.
Old 07-25-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jon2
I'm curious as to what you mean by this. I see Blu-ray discs right next to HD-DVDs at most every store that sells DVDs and they've been there for quite some time now. The only places I don't see Blu-rays in are those that aren't selling HD-DVDs either.
Look at the dates. You're quoting a post from prior to the blu-ray launch.
Old 07-25-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Basically he sees the remains of Krypton, some chunks bigger than others, including the "Valley of Elders" where that big dome was in the movie. You also see the "Tower of El" where you see where his emblem comes from. It's the family crest and they were pretty big on K. But as he sees more and more and goes deeper into the ruins, a big chunk of deadly kryptonite weakens him so he barely has enough strength to give the ship directions to go "home".
Old 07-25-06, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Basically he sees the remains of Krypton, some chunks bigger than others, including the "Valley of Elders" where that big dome was in the movie. You also see the "Tower of El" where you see where his emblem comes from. It's the family crest and they were pretty big on K. But as he sees more and more and goes deeper into the ruins, a big chunk of deadly kryptonite weakens him so he barely has enough strength to give the ship directions to go "home".
ha. i always wondered what the hell that one clip was in the teaser trailer. I always thought I had missed something.

thanks
Old 07-25-06, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Cool.....wish he would include this on the HD-DVD....maybe he will put it as an exclusive to the HD release.
Old 07-25-06, 12:17 PM
Retired

Looks like I might hold off on this in anticipation of a better release next year.
Old 07-25-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
...maybe he will put it as an exclusive to the HD release.
That would really piss me off. I have no problem with HD-exclusive content in cases where it makes sense (space considerations for standard DVD and/or using features only available in HD). But to release something like a simple deleted scene as HD only? That's unfair. HD should shine on its own merits, not because studios hobble standard DVD.
Old 07-25-06, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
That would really piss me off. I have no problem with HD-exclusive content in cases where it makes sense (space considerations for standard DVD and/or using features only available in HD). But to release something like a simple deleted scene as HD only? That's unfair. HD should shine on its own merits, not because studios hobble standard DVD.
He is the director....he has said that it should be seen on the big screen....maybe he will decide that HD is the proper way to see it.....not really our call.....you could always chose to not buy either release.
Old 07-25-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling we'll see Superman Returns: Extended Cut sometime next year. I hope so because I'd like to see that opening sequence.
Old 07-25-06, 12:47 PM
Banned

But if it gets people to buy into it, then it works.
Old 07-25-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But if it gets people to buy into it, then it works.
Eh. I'm still of the mind that people should 'buy into it' because of the increased picture quality and other things that they are stressing. The things that actually make HD better.

I'm not a big fan of intentionally making standard DVD suckier, just to make HD seem like a better option. I should want to buy the Superman Returns HD-DVD because the picture quality makes me go "Holy shit, that's amazing". (And, incidentally, I assume I will think just that. )
Old 07-25-06, 12:54 PM
Retired

I agree, such tactics will just annoy me to the point of delaying my adoption of HD-DVD even longer (I'm not a person that cares that much about a/v quality).
Old 07-25-06, 12:54 PM
Banned

Well...DVD is doing that with...well, DVD at this point. Look at Superbit
Old 07-25-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aside from all the Blu-Ray/HD DVD banter, I'm just looking forward to skipping all the boring and corny parts (the majority) in this movie...and the plane rescue looks like demo material to me.
Old 07-25-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A lot was cut.

Part's I know of..

Krypton scene

Martha explaining to Clark that Ben Hubbard and here are getting married.

Ben Hubbard saying that he heard Clark just "flew in".

Clark looking at himself in the Superman outfit, with his Clark glasses on.

Clark going thru old newspapers and seeing all the world events.

Further explanation on how Martha was mailing postcards to people, so that it appeard Clark was traveling.

Yeah, this all reaks of Superman Returns 1.5 .

Still, it may be the title that makes me go HD-DVD.
Old 07-25-06, 02:22 PM

Another thing to keep in mind about special features is disc space...its very likely that HD-DVD or BD can accomodate more deleted scenes, extended cut, docs and so on due to the increased size.
Old 07-25-06, 02:27 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Good info about all the known cut scenes (with pics):
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movi...c=sr-cutscenes
After sifting through these, every cut scene reads as if it would have improved the movie. I'm actually kind of frustrated now knowing all of this was cut out.
Old 07-25-06, 02:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
I doubt it will happen, but here's to hoping for a DTS/DTS-ES track.

Warner Home Video doesn't do DTS...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.