Reload this Page >

SUPERMAN RETURNS: DVD & HD-DVD in November

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SUPERMAN RETURNS: DVD & HD-DVD in November

Old 07-25-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
After sifting through these, every cut scene reads as if it would have improved the movie. I'm actually kind of frustrated now knowing all of this was cut out.
Well, supposedly there was like a 3 1/2 hour cut of the movie...I wonder how well it flows....would love to see it.
Old 07-25-06, 02:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Another thing to keep in mind about special features is disc space...its very likely that HD-DVD or BD can accomodate more deleted scenes, extended cut, docs and so on due to the increased size.
well that's debatable for Blu-ray
Old 07-25-06, 02:34 PM

Well, supposedly there was like a 3 1/2 hour cut of the movie...I wonder how well it flows....would love to see it.
I kind of expect the eventual network television version to be an extended cut of the film, as Warner's did for the first two Harry Potter films.
Old 07-25-06, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
well that's debatable for Blu-ray
Until BD50 (if it will ever happen), your right.
Old 07-25-06, 02:45 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thing to keep in mind about special features is disc space...its very likely that HD-DVD or BD can accomodate more deleted scenes, extended cut, docs and so on due to the increased size.
Still moot as they can just do a 2 or 3 DVD set and get it all on there as they've been doing for the past 10 years or so.
Old 07-25-06, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Still moot as they can just do a 2 or 3 DVD set and get it all on there as they've been doing for the past 10 years or so.
No # of DVD's can handle IME. It's impossible.
Old 07-25-06, 02:50 PM

True, and they do have extended branching working on sd-dvd....but, if Singer is worried about presentation for his material, it wouldnt surprise me if he included some material on the hd-dvd and left it off of the sd-dvd. I guess we will find out in November (or sooner if specs come out).
Old 07-25-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Warner Home Video doesn't do DTS...
They did for the first 4 Batman movies.
Old 07-25-06, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
They did for the first 4 Batman movies.
oh you're right.. my bad.
Old 07-25-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Oh please. Sounds like the lack of a big B.O. hurt the Krypton scene from being on the DVD. I really don't see the point of re-releasing the movie with an added scene, and expect it to somehow get more people to come.

Just put the damn thing on the DVD and get it over with. Who gives a flip if it will be 'fully appreciated' on the big sceen better, which sounds like complete BS anyways.

Yea this is really ridiculous that they'll spend 10mil on one scene and not release it on dvd for people who will actually watch it. Sometimes I don't understand this moronic way of thinking.
Old 07-25-06, 03:05 PM

Warner's should have made that scene exclusive to the IMAX and/or DLP versions.
Old 07-25-06, 03:06 PM
Banned

Warner's should have made that scene exclusive to the IMAX and/or DLP versions.
No. We got stupid 3D. I hate full-length movies on IMAX anyway. Just a bad idea.
Old 07-25-06, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
No. We got stupid 3D. I hate full-length movies on IMAX anyway. Just a bad idea.
oh don't get me started in 3D not all markets have IMAX screens that have 3D systems - i.e, Washington DC...
Old 07-25-06, 03:12 PM

Honestly, I see a double dip on this one...I bet it will be the regular version this year and EE next year some time.
Old 07-25-06, 03:15 PM

Honestly, I see a double dip on this one...I bet it will be the regular version this year and EE next year some time.
and in that respect, WB could do what New Line and Peter Jackson did and actually release the extended cut first in the theatres (I saw 'The Two Towers' that way) and then on DVD. 'Superman Returns: Returns'
Old 07-25-06, 03:34 PM

'Superman Returns: Returns'
Hahaha....due to the box office numbers, they very well might do that. As long as Buena Vista doesnt release Pirates of the Carribean Dead Man's Chest EE the next weekend.
Old 07-25-06, 03:39 PM
Retired

No # of DVD's can handle IME. It's impossible.
I was just talking about the deleted sceneds and other normal extras possibly only being on the HD-DVD.

That is clearly not limited by space, as I noted.

I'd don't care about IME, not my cup of tea since I don't even like commentaries.
Old 07-25-06, 03:54 PM
Banned

I'd don't care about IME, not my cup of tea since I don't even like commentaries.
Have you seen it?

What extras DO you like?
Old 07-25-06, 03:56 PM
Retired

Have you seen it?

What extras DO you like?
Deleted scenes are the only ones I regularly watch, and the occasional well done documentary.

I'm not in to commentaries as I don't like listening to people ramble on while the movie is playing (same reason the picture in picture thing doesn't appeal to me) and I have a hard enough time finding 2 hours to watch a movie, much less to re-watch with the commentary.
Old 07-25-06, 04:03 PM
Banned

Well, regardless, I think these types of discussions will become commonplace around here from now on. I don't think a major release will get a mention without some sort of HD talk fortunately (or unfortunately, for some).
Old 07-25-06, 04:05 PM

Deleted scenes are the only ones I regularly watch, and the occasional well done documentary.

I'm not in to commentaries as I don't like listening to people ramble on while the movie is playing (same reason the picture in picture thing doesn't appeal to me) and I have a hard enough time finding 2 hours to watch a movie, much less to re-watch with the commentary.
Similar to me....I only thoroughly watch/listen to special features if I really really like the movie.

But, I do think additional content on HD-DVD/BD to push the format is wise. Similar to someone's suggestion on avs that they should release HD-DVD's a week earlier.
Old 07-25-06, 04:11 PM
Retired

Well, regardless, I think these types of discussions will become commonplace around here from now on. I don't think a major release will get a mention without some sort of HD talk fortunately (or unfortunately, for some).
Oh, I don't mind the talk at all.

I hope we just don't see standard DVD extras getting moved to the HD versions, with the DVDs being barebones to try to force people to upgrade.

As noted by others earlier, the pic quality should be the factor that makes or breaks the format. People either want it or they don't. Extras like the IME to help sell it are fine as well. I just hope they don't go screwing DVD owners by putting deleted scenes etc. only on the HD discs.
Old 07-25-06, 04:15 PM
Retired

But, I do think additional content on HD-DVD/BD to push the format is wise. .
Oh it is wise business wise, but I just don't like it for the time being as I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

I'm still in grad school so I can't really afford it. I want to wait until 1080p sets get a bit cheaper, and players and discs are the same as DVD players now in price and selection (back catalogue aside, as I don't plan on upgrading many discs anyway).
Old 07-25-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
From the Lying in the Gutters column over at comicbookresources.com:

While Bald Steve has been spilling more on the "Superman Returns" DVD at The Bendis Board.

"Apparently, those scenes I mentioned on the original thread were supposed to be held back for a double-dip-style bilking of the fanbase, but due to the fact that Superman Returns didn't have the cultural impact (seriously, that's what WB was hoping for: The next Star Wars) the suits had hoped for, they're planning on throwing in the towel and including everything that was filmed and completed with the debut DVD release. Only an official press release will comfirm of course, but that's straight form the horse's mouth as of today.

"Also, wanna know Singer's deal? Believe me, when you read this you will understand why he jumped the X-ship when he did. Ironic that Rantner ended up kicking his ass:

"1. 10-12 million dollars just to direct.

"2. 10% of the worldwide box office gross.

"3. The lion's share of the merch (Lucas-style) and a fat slice of the DVD sales. According to my boy, this deal will drop close to 50 million fucking dollars in Singer's bank account when it's all said and done. Dude is all set.

"It is not slated to be released in 3D at this time."
Old 07-25-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 240 Likes on 206 Posts
You might be surprised to know that the Superman Returns DVD was NOT officially announced at Comic-Con, however director Bryan Singer was on hand at the Con to offer additional details about the release. First of all, it will not be part of the new box set - you'll need to purchase it separately (we expect it to be announced soon, for release around the same time as the set, in DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray formats). The DVD release MAY include a gag-reel (which was shown at the Con). It will NOT feature an extended edition of the film, however it will include SOME of the deleted scenes from the film separately. It will not include the infamous "Return to Krypton" deleted opening sequence - Singer is saving that for a special theatrical or DVD re-release at a later time.

Here's even more info that you might not be aware of. At our own DVD Sneak Peek 2006 panel (coordinated and sponsored by us here at The Digital Bits), DVD producer Robert Meyer Burnett revealed that he's working on a new 3-part, feature-length documentary on the making of the film for the DVD, entitled Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns, which will run some two and a half hours. It's been shot "fly-on-the-wall" style, a la the excellent The Beginning documentary on the Star Wars: Episode I DVD, so you're right there for every important moment of the production (it's also in anamorphic widescreen from start to finish!). Burnett showed a very cool clip from Requiem for Krypton, specifically authorized and hand-picked to show at our panel by director Bryan Singer, in which we see actor Brandon Routh being prepped by wardrobe and make-up for his official screen test for the film. With Singer supervising, Routh is trying on various possible versions of Clark Kent's glasses and also having his hair cut and styled with Superman's iconic curl. The cool thing is that Singer had called Burnett in to videotape all this, telling him that Routh was THE guy who was going to play the part... except that Routh hadn't yet been told he'd gotten the role (and Singer wanted no one to tell him). It was October 5th, 2004, and it would be two additional weeks before Routh was told. So it's fun to see Routh and the others reacting to one another, with everyone but Routh knowing that he's the guy. It's very cool stuff. The documentary will include Routh's original screen test footage as well, and much, much more. We'll post additional details on the DVD release of Superman Returns as soon as they're available.

FYI, we believe all of these Superman titles will be available on HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc high-definition formats as well as standard DVD, but they haven't yet been announced.

THEDIGITALBITS

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.