Blade Runner DC SE comming 09 06!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner DC SE comming 09 06!

Old 05-26-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,318 Likes on 951 Posts
My God, this is like a dream come true.

I can't believe what I'm reading.

2001 A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner are both getting the SE treatment in the near future. The two single greatest science fiction films of all time. Ah, life is good!
Old 05-26-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
Holy crap, that's just icing on the cake! I was lamenting just a few days ago about not having a better quality Black Rain DVD.
That old Paramount non-anamorphic WS Black Rain dvd is certainly craptastic, good thing I got it cheap years back. I am so happy about an upgrade with Anamorphic Widescreen for this great film by Ridley Scott. At least this has been released once, Paramount just won't release 1492: Conquest Of Paradise for whatever reason. If only that could be released along with the new upcoming versions of Blade Runner and Black Rain, that would make any Ridley Scott fan like myself quite the happy camper.
Old 05-26-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 689 Posts
Wow, after all these years, I can't imagine what they offered Perenchio to get this film out of it's personal hell.

I'll wait out for the big box though, I've lasted this long with my two LDs (Criterion and DC), they'll go a little longer. (sounds like something else, though not with as happy of an ending...)
Old 05-26-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes seamless branching is actually seamless. It's your player.
Old 05-26-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
from THEDIGITALBITS.com

So... you remember how we said that for every piece of good DVD news this week, there was a piece of bad news? Well... how 'bout we end the week on a REALLY great note, sans the dark could? You may have heard the word from Daily Variety this morning. Yes... Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is FINALLY, officially, coming to DVD. It's going to be coming to HD-DVD. And it's going to be coming to Blu-ray Disc as well. This is real... it's happening... and it's going to be very, very cool.

First a bit of background on the reason for the title's delay. Warner had been planning a 2-disc special edition of the film early last year... but suddenly realized that their rights to the title were about to lapse. However, the studio ponied up the big bucks to get back what is arguably one of their primo Cadillac catalog titles (dare you to say that three times fast). The ownership situation now resolved, Warner has set in motion plans to really do something special with the film. You might recall back in January when I asked them about the film at their 2006 catalog press event, they hinted that things were looking good for a 2007 release. Privately, we were told that there were BIG things in the works, but were also told that if we leaked too much about the project, we might end up like Fredo Corleone (or WORSE, that the project itself could be complicated). Needless to say, though we've been dying to talk about this for months now (and we get about two e-mails a day asking about the title), we've kept largely silent on the subject. Now that the project is finally out in the open, however, we can finally say a few things. Keep in mind that the major portion of the release is still over a year away. But here's the basic plan...

This coming September, there will be a new limited DVD release (HD-DVD & Blu-ray Disc are also planned) of the restored 1992 Director's Cut (you know... the one that isn't really a director's cut). This will be available for just four months. We believe this is basically the 2-disc release that Warner had originally planned to bow LAST year.

Then next year, just in time for the film's 25th anniversary, Ridley Scott's ultimate Blade Runner: The Final Cut will hit theaters for a limited run. This will be a REAL director's cut, with restored scenes and more - all the stuff that Ridley's always wanted to do with the film but hasn't really been given the chance to do before. That will be followed later in the year by an Ultimate Blade Runner DVD release. You can expect a multi-disc box set (again, likely with a simultaneous HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc release) that will contain at least four different versions of the film... ALL in full anamorphic widescreen, we might add. You'll get the film's original U.S. theatrical cut, you'll get the expanded international theatrical cut, you'll get the 1992 Director's Cut and you'll get the new Final Cut as well. Now... we realize at this point, you may have questions. Keep in mind, there's a TON of additional material that's going to be included in this set that hasn't been announced and can't be talked about yet - all-new material that you've never seen before. The set is pretty early in the planning and production stage, so it's way too early to talk details, but trust us... some very cool stuff is in the works. These extras will likely be different from the September '06 release, so if you buy both you'll at least be getting your money's worth.

Imagine that... anamorphic widescreen AND real value in a DVD release! Hey... are we being punked?

You veteran Bits readers will also be thrilled to learn that longtime Ridley Scott DVD producer Charles de Lauzirika and his team are involved in project, and have already been working on the set for a while now. Lauzirika, as you may know, was the producer responsible for Fox's 9-disc, massively comprehensive Alien Quadrilogy box set, as well as the multi-disc special editions of Scott's Gladiator (from DreamWorks), Black Hawk Down (from Sony) and Kingdom of Heaven (recently available from Fox), among others. You should also know that Lauzirika and his team are big fans of Blade Runner themselves. Rest assured that they know what you guys all want to see on this release, and they're working very hard to make it as good as it can be. Trust us when we say that this project is in EXACTLY the right hands.
Old 05-26-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't usually double dip, but I'll probably have to buy both, because maybe the 2006 limited release will be the only one they actually release and the 2007 mega edition will get problems and be canceled, especially with all the drama with this DVD release. So just to play it safe, I've accepted to buy both...

Wasn't Legend just about to be released and then it got delayed for a long time before the ultimate edition finally came out?
Old 05-26-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really never thought this day would come. every month the other bladerunner thread would get bumped and i would dive in only to be disappointed that no news was available.

i will be in for the 2006 release and the 2007 mega set (assuming the extras are different). i cannot wait to see bladerunner on the big screen again.
Old 05-27-06, 03:08 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in if it's out in September.
Old 05-27-06, 05:03 AM

wow. wonder if i'll have made the switch to hd-dvd by then
Old 05-27-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 687 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
from THEDIGITALBITS.com....

You veteran Bits readers will also be thrilled to learn that longtime Ridley Scott DVD producer Charles de Lauzirika and his team are involved in project, and have already been working on the set for a while now.
This is indeed very good news. Charles is one of the best. Hopefully the Bits will be hosting another DVD Producers panel at Comic-Con this summer. If Charles shows up, I'm sure there will be many questions about this upcoming release.
Old 05-27-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by jonjj7
I'm wondering if there is an extra zero on that number....wowsers

There is no mistake. I have seen the film over 700 times and i can quote the entire film (including background dialogue) from start to finish. I am a total geek for this film. The first time i saw the film (when i was just a young whipper snapper) i fell in love with. I remember when i was in high school i watched the film every single day for a little over two years. Since then i have cut it down a lot....i watch it once every 2-3 weeks. The film is just amazing. I have a nice small collection of memoribilia including one of the actual shooting scripts used on set.

Last edited by james2025a; 07-14-06 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-27-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome news!!!

I will pick each and every one of these releases....especially the mega set!
Old 05-27-06, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a
There is no mistake. I have seen the film over 700 times and i can quote the entire film (including background dialogue) from start to finish. I am a total geek for this film. I first time i saw the film (when i was just a young whipper snapper) i fell in love with. I remember when i was in high school i watched the film every single day for a little over two years. Since then i have cut it down a lot....i watch it once every 2-3 weeks. The film is just amazing. I have a nice small collection of memoribilia including one of the actual shooting scripts used on set.
Lets see somm pics!
Old 05-28-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I would love to get you some pics....the problem is that i am living and working in Puerto Rico at the moment and a good amount of my possessions are still back at my parents home in the UK. I am due to go back i August so i will pick some more things up then and take some pics.....or i will try getting one of my sisters to get some pics taking and post. I am just happy that this film is getting re-released....i will be back at the cinema again to see the Final cut. I enjoyed seeing th directors cut at the cinema.
Old 05-28-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 687 Likes on 497 Posts
As much as I'm thrilled at the DVD release, I'm even more excited at (hopefully) being able to see it on the big screen again.
Old 05-28-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow - this is one of those films that I've been dying to see but for some reason or another have never gotten around to. I've read the book and have watched small portions of the film, and now I'll certainly be picking up both the September release and the "Ultimate" version next year. Hopefully by then I'll be converted to HD.
Old 05-28-06, 01:20 PM
boe
Suspended

I can wait

I guess I'm one of the few that preferred the theatrical release with the voiceover. I double dipped on Stargate and was very pleased it came with a theatrical as well as DC. I wish more DVDs were like that. Considering I'm holding off on almost all new DVD purchases until HD/BR/hardware gets settled I would hope that they make a DC/Theatrical combo.

So many DVDs I would buy if only they had DTS HD and DD Plus already on the new HD/BR DVDs but I'll be good and wait so I don't have to double/triple dip on so many movies.
Old 05-28-06, 02:18 PM

An anamorphic version of the International Cut? I'm in!
Old 05-28-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anyone else was behind it ("George Lucas", anyone?) I would have my doubts that these discs would be mastered correctly.
Actually, all of Lucas' films on DVD, save the originals, have been mastered beautifully in anamorphic widescreen. TPM transfer left a bit to be desired.

Glad to know that all cuts will be presented.
Old 05-28-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seeing this in a theater is going to be absolutely amazing! Owning every available version of the film will be second to none!! I truly now can rest in peace ...

Excellent news all around!!!
Old 05-28-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
Seeing this in a theater is going to be absolutely amazing! Owning every available version of the film will be second to none!! I truly now can rest in peace ...

Excellent news all around!!!
My sentiments exactly. Blade Runner in IMAX = drool.
Old 05-28-06, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by boe
I guess I'm one of the few that preferred the theatrical release with the voiceover.
Me too. Hence my excitement over the International Cut getting released on DVD. Ironically, just last night I was looking at buying a laserdisc player JUST for the Blade Runner Criterion disc.
Old 05-28-06, 05:05 PM

This is cause to rejoice!!!

One of my 13 all time favorite films. A powerfull allegory which explores many facets of the human condition. But for me it is Scott's examination of mans relationship to his creator which is at the heart of its greatness. An absolutely brilliant work of art.

"Ive seen things, you people wouldnt believe.
... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
Ive watched c beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain...time to die."

Great stuff that!

Tell me something DVD Talkers, do androids dream of electric sheep?
Old 05-28-06, 05:08 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Holly Martins
Tell me something DVD Talkers, do androids dream of electric sheep?
No, they dream of copies of the unaltered original STAR WARS trilogy that are enhanced for widescreen TVS...
Old 05-28-06, 05:44 PM

I figure I've made it this long, what's another year until the 4-discer?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.