Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blade Runner DC SE comming 09 06!

YES!!!!!!!
Marathon 'Runner' 26/5/06
WB preps 'final cut' of sci-fi classic

By DIANE GARRETT

Warner homevid has disentangled "Blade Runner's" famously thorny rights issues to pave the way for a September reissuereissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley ScottRidley Scott's final cut.

Warner's rights to "Blade Runner" lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The pic, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceovervoiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The restored "Director's Cut" will debut on homevid in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium. "Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.

The massive "Blade Runner" project comes on the heels of Scott's four-disc treatment for "Kingdom of Heaven," released this week by Fox homevid, less than a year after the pic's initial homevid release.

Credit: Variety.com
AlexCremers is online now Reply With Quote

The news we all have waited for! I going to buy the DC in september.
Old 05-26-06, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Mmmm hmmm...

I'll believe it when I see it in September..
Old 05-26-06, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Mmmm hmmm...

I'll believe it when I see it in September..
What's there not to believe? Variety posted it.

This is long overdue news. My only worries were that it might be an HD-DVD only release. The news about it going into moratorium after 4 months is odd though. Doesn't matter much to me though as I'll have it day one
Old 05-26-06, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
When this ultimate version comes to HD DVD its a must buy.
Old 05-26-06, 06:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in....
Old 05-26-06, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I am in if it somes out.
Old 05-26-06, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow! Interesting, sounds like this will be like the dawn of the dead ultimate set,with all those different versions on it. I might have to go see this in the theatre too, but I am so used to the 1992 director's cut, I wonder what will be changed/added and if I will like it.
Old 05-26-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
So who's gonna get the SE in '06 and then the "Final Cut" in '07?
Old 05-26-06, 07:10 AM

Just like Dawn I'll go for both. The DC will tide me over till '07.
Old 05-26-06, 07:18 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
(*raises hand*) My stupid ass. I hope at least they'll do me the favor of having some bonus features on the former that aren't carried over to the latter so I'm not a complete stupid ass.
Old 05-26-06, 07:27 AM

Yeah, that's a tough call. I really want a new transfer of the 1992 version, and I can wait to get it as part of the Ultimate Set next year. But at this point I don't know if I even like the new 'final' cut, and by then the 1992 cut will be off the shelves!
Old 05-26-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking good! Thanks for the news!
Old 05-26-06, 07:44 AM

Raises hand! Can't wait...Will also see it at the cinema.
Old 05-26-06, 08:11 AM

Please let this be true. And please take your time, WB, releasing this on HD-DVD. This would be one of those rare titles that would make me cave in and upgrade to the new format.
Old 05-26-06, 08:14 AM
Banned

This should probably be in the official Blade Runner thread.

Oh...and I have a feeling WB will be having this on HD DVD as well. They know what it will do.
Old 05-26-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally, I've been waiting for the ultimate release so I can finally see the film. Hopefully the final cut is released theatrically near me (I'm sure it'll be in New York), so I can see it there
Old 05-26-06, 08:18 AM
Banned

Oh and BTW...i hope this FARRRRRRRRRRRRR outsells that "other" group of sci-fi movies that are coming out in september.
Old 05-26-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll pass on the "DC" because it'll have censored violence.
Old 05-26-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Warner Revisits 'Blade Runner'
Author: JOHN LATCHEM
[email protected]
Posted: May 26, 2006
Email this Story to Friend

Warner Home Video is bringing Ridley Scott’s futuristic film noir classic Blade Runner back to DVD in a big way.

After recently securing a new long-term agreement for the worldwide rights to the 1982 film, Warner announced several new DVD releases to celebrate its 25th anniversary.

In September, Warner presents a limited four-month re-release of the 1992 director’s cut of the film, which was originally released as one of the first DVDs in 1997. For years this has been the only version of the film officially available on DVD.

“A number of people have told me that in the start-up days of DVD, Blade Runner was absolutely the first DVD title they wanted, so much so that they purchased it even before their first DVD player,” said Jeff Baker, SVP and GM of WHV.

In 2007, Warner will unveil Blade Runner: The Final Cut, Scott’s definitive new version of the cult classic, which stars Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah.

The film will be released theatrically in select major U.S. cities, followed by a multidisc special-edition DVD release that also will contain three alternate versions of Blade Runner: the original U.S. theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 cut. A wide array of bonus features are being prepared for the anniversary edition.

“This is clearly Ridley’s signature film, and we are thrilled to have it back,” Baker said.
Old 05-26-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a strange feeling that they will soon announce that these releases will not be anamorphic.
Old 05-26-06, 08:40 AM

The coming months are amazing for DVD. Maybe it's the coming of HDDVD or something else. Call it fate, call it luck, Karma, whatever. The point we're seeing a great number of releases that seemed like they would never come out. Call me an idiot, but as disappointed as I am to hear about Star Wars, I'm still excitied they're being released. But not only Star Wars. We're getting DVDs I've waited to own since I started collecting.

We've got Apocalypse Now (again, no Hearts of Darkness, but still...) Godzilla in both versions, the Six Moral Tales boxed set, Brisco County Junior, that special edition of Double Indemnity. The Star Trek Animated series to make every Star Trek show ever on DVD. A whole bunch more. Now Bladerunner.

So, let's just theorize that, following this awesome pattern of September(ish) releases, we'll soon hear announcements from Universal for The Incredible Shrinking Man and from Criterion for Bottle Rocket and The Magnificent Ambersons.

Old 05-26-06, 08:43 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The DC has been on the High Def channels in a gorgeous version. We don't have to even worry about that.
Old 05-26-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, like others on this board, are a bit skeptical that this will be actually released, but would certainly welcome it. Also, it is titles like this that make me want to purchase a HD DVD player.
Old 05-26-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I will buy at least one copy of each version as it comes along. Really. You should see my Star Wars shelves.
Old 05-26-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I am floored. I didn't think this day would ever come. Wow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.