Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner DC SE comming 09 06!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
As long as all versions of the film are released, I have no problems with re-edited/re-tinkering.
My thoughts exactly. Until that's a fact, the remastered single-discer won't be bidding my collection farewell.
Old 05-04-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
(For instance, very very few people complain that the original cut of 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' is not available.)
[sidetrack] Actually, it is. The original single disc release is the theatrical cut. The two disc SE is the director's/ABC cut. I grew up watching a version recorded onto VHS off of ABC, and I was a little annoyed when I got the original single disc DVD and it had the theatrical cut. I was very glad to pick up the 2 disc set for the alternate cut.
And I've seen a few people complain about the differences, but since both are available, it's just general revisionist grumbling
[/sidetrack]

Onto your other issue:

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
In addition to all the other reasons people pointed out, I'd like to throw in there the fact that Lucas added new stuff, but did *not* go back and fix contiuity errors or bad special effects the way Scott is doing. In fact, he changed some perfectly good ones, but left the horrible matte lines in every version.

Not fixing various established problems, but instead randomly adding things which, in many cases, caused further problems ... that's what people hold against Lucas. I'll never understand why people paint it as people hating changes; it's not changes, it's illogical at-best-pointless changes people objected to with 'Star Wars'.
Excellent point. I've said for a while now that, to me, the Star Wars saga is nine movies. The Holy Trilogy (the unaltered originals), and the saga (all six films with whatever changes he wants to eps IV - VI). I have to wonder if anyone has pointed out to Lucas that he can sell nine movies instead of six over and over? I'd certainly buy them.

With BladeRunner, the for- and against-
Spoiler:
Deckard as replicant
groups can just watch their preferred version and be happy with that.

Last edited by milo bloom; 05-04-07 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-11-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI, don’t know if this has been posted anywhere or not, but I’ve heard from someone in the know that there is a 5 disc, 5-cut version coming out for release by Christmas. Commentary could have both Frank Darabont and Harrison Ford on it.
Old 05-11-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
FYI, don’t know if this has been posted anywhere or not, but I’ve heard from someone in the know that there is a 5 disc, 5-cut version coming out for release by Christmas. Commentary could have both Frank Darabont and Harrison Ford on it.
What would Frank Darabont have to do with Blade Runner?
Old 05-11-07, 10:09 PM

Frank Darabont?

Anyway, Charlie de Lauzirika has stated, subtly, on HTF that the DVD set is full of supplements. He's stated in numerous interviews before how this is his favorite film that Ridley has done as of yet so you can imagine he's putting all he can to make this set worth the wait, which he usually does.
Guys, I think we can expect a great DVD I just can't wait for an official press release with full specs and release dates!
Old 05-12-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
What would Frank Darabont have to do with Blade Runner?
i have no clue why. i'm not a person who knows much about this movie, but the guy i spoke to said that darabont was involved and most likely would do a commentary.
Old 05-12-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
i have no clue why. i'm not a person who knows much about this movie, but the guy i spoke to said that darabont was involved and most likely would do a commentary.
That's seems incorrect. My guess is he's speculating on a future Indiana Jones release. However, Lucas didn't like Darabont's IJ4 script - so he's not involved with that project anymore.
Old 05-12-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on, guys...haven't DVDs been around long enough that we're not confused when filmmakers invite their friends? Maybe Ridley Scott just wants someone to bounce off of. I don't think it's the most unbelivable thing ever, isn't Darabont a pretty good commentator? Kevin Smith was on Donnie Darko DC, William Goldman was on Panic Room, Carrot Top was on Rules of Engagement, and plenty of film critics and historians pop up on tracks (although this is somewhat more relevant), so I think Darabont could easily be on the Blade Runner track.
Old 05-12-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wannabe
That's seems incorrect. My guess is he's speculating on a future Indiana Jones release. However, Lucas didn't like Darabont's IJ4 script - so he's not involved with that project anymore.
I'm telling you what I heard. He said that it was Darabont's favorite movies and that was one of the reasons that he was working on it.

You can believe whatever you want in the end, I'm just passing along the info.
Old 05-12-07, 01:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Kevin Smith was on Donnie Darko DC, William Goldman was on Panic Room,
beat me to it..

i also thought this was kind of interesting... he definitely has some strong opinions on the theatrical cut of BR

Shawshank has very heavy narration, It’s an element that can sink a film, yet it works wonderfully in Shawshank, cashing in on the magic of the mellifluous tones of Morgan Freeman, who plays Red. "The narration gave me pause when I was writing the script. Like halfway through I suddenly froze and said ‘Oh my God what am I doing.’ Because people do sometimes bitch about narration. When it doesn’t work it really doesn’t work.

Like Blade Runner. Blade Runner always struck me as an example of narration put on not as an intrinsic integral part of the story telling but somebody’s idea of a Band-Aid so the audience understands what the hell’s going on. At times I found it intrusive to an extreme, particularly when
Spoiler:
Roy Batty dies and there’s Ford watching him in the rain and he’s had this amazing little monologue about what he’s seen and experienced in his life and then he dies and it’s so emotional and then that stupid thudding narration kicks in. "I don’t know why he saved my life there, maybe he just didn’t want to die alone,..."
I know all this shit. I don’t need to be told and have the emotion of the moment undercut. For the most part I can sit there and watch the movie either way with or without narration. But maybe that’s a reason not to have narration, if you can watch it one way or the other."

http://www.filmsondisc.com/Features/...t/darabont.htm
Old 05-12-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watch. They probably got Darabont to write a new narration for the film, to be recorded by Harrison Ford's son (who has been rumored to be involved in some capacity on the Final Cut).
Old 05-12-07, 04:05 PM

final cut for me. I'm in.
Old 05-12-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Carrot Top was on Rules of Engagement,
Methinks you meant this:

Not this:

Old 05-12-07, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rizor
Just watch. They probably got Darabont to write a new narration for the film, to be recorded by Harrison Ford's son (who has been rumored to be involved in some capacity on the Final Cut).
wow

i hadn't even considered that

what a thought provoking idea...

didn't even occur to me that Harrison wouldn't sound right now, or that he had a kid who could double his v/o. cool.

i wish i had that gig. haha
Old 05-12-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Methinks you meant this:

Not this:

Yes...although I think ultimately I should have watched the latter and not the former...
Old 05-12-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes...although I think ultimately I should have watched the latter and not the former...
I'll disagree there. I love The Rules of Attraction. Easily the best Bret Easton Ellis adaptation to date.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to hear Darabont talk about Blade Runner. If this is true, hopefully he doesn't become some gushing fanboy.
Old 05-13-07, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
...Plus, the set is being produced by Charles de Lauzirika, who put together the Alien Quadrilogy, the Kingdom of Heaven 4-disc set, and the Black Hawk Dawn SE...

Thank you for helping me mess up my pants.
Old 05-14-07, 01:40 AM

Hi Guys,

This link might interest you.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/793565
Old 05-14-07, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by DarkEye
Hi Guys,

I don't really care about the briefcase but the contents are getting me so excited!
Old 05-14-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Guys,

if that turns out to be the actual set contents, i am quite impressed.
Old 05-14-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 05-14-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Guys,

"Attention International Customers
Due to size constraints on international shipping, we are regrettably unable to fulfill overseas orders for this item."

I was planning on waiting for the HD/BR release of this one, but I probably would have ordered this anyways.
Old 05-14-07, 11:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drop
I'll disagree there. I love The Rules of Attraction. Easily the best Bret Easton Ellis adaptation to date.
that was my first b.e.e. movie adaptation ever and it was pretty damn good

the double tracking shot of Van Der Beek and Shannon Sosamyn (sp) as they are walking towards one another - where the shots merge at the end was f'in magical

also liked the way all the characters were introduced into the story

i should read that book one day
Old 05-14-07, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Hi Guys,

holy crap

(for those too lazy to click)

Disc 1 - The Final Cut (2007):

* Ridley Scott's definitive new version of his science-fiction masterpiece includes added & extended scenes, added lines and new and cleaner special effects.

Disc 2 - 3 Complete Film Versions:

* ’82 U.S. Theatrical version
* ’82 International Theatrical version
* ’92 Director’s Cut

Disc 3 - “Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner” Documentary

* Newly created documentary: Through interviews with the cast and crew, critics and colleagues, this feature-length documentary provides a mainstream-friendly yet meaningful in-depth look at Blade Runner’s literary genesis, its challenging production and controversial legacy. When all is said and done, this will be the definitive documentary on the film.

Disc 4 – Enhanced Content Bonus: (TBC)

* INCEPTION - Featurettes and galleries devoted to Philip K. Dick, the birth of Cyberpunk and adapting the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
* PRE-PRODUCTION - Featurettes and galleries devoted to script development, conceptual design and abandoned sequences.
* PRODUCTION - Featurettes and galleries devoted to principal photography and locations.
* POST-PRODUCTION - Featurettes and galleries devoted to deleted scenes, music and visual effects.
* RELEASE - Featurettes and galleries devoted to marketing and reaction including Trailers, TV Spots and Promotional Featurettes
* LEGACY - Featurettes and galleries devoted to the film’s resurrection and impact.

Disc 5 - Work Print Version & Enhanced Content:

* Including the rarely seen Work Print version and potentially the 52 min.
* Channel Four (UK) documentary which was the first serious documentary created for the film.

Special Features:

* Blade Runner Brief Case packaging with handle
* Digi-Package with Foil Enhanced and Embossed Slipcase (5 Discs)
* Lenticular motion image from the original feature
* Collectible Model Spinner
* Collectible Origami Unicorn
* Collection of photographs from film
* Letter from Ridley Scott
Old 05-14-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Au $199.83 = US $166.48

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.