Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dirty Harry collection goes on moratorium - 9.1.06

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dirty Harry collection goes on moratorium - 9.1.06

Just got a press release from E3 touting the HD-DVD releases of the Dirty Harry franchise in 2007.

Says that the current releases will be put on moritorium Sept. 1st.
Old 05-10-06, 09:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it's lucky that I own the first one already.
Old 05-10-06, 09:44 PM

I'm sure it'll come right out of moratorium when HD-DVD flops.
Old 05-10-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14468

Sounds like this is the first Special Edition re-release that is exclusive to HD-DVD only.

Last edited by Robert; 05-10-06 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 11:56 PM
Banned

What's good about this that old movies will be coming out in HD-dvd.
I thought it was just going to be new movies.
Old 05-11-06, 07:04 AM
Suspended

Boy, you format fans are bitter.
Old 05-11-06, 07:06 AM

What's bad about this is it sounds like they will shut off the availability of standard DVDs as a way to force folks to the HD format.
Old 05-11-06, 07:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LilDears
What's bad about this is it sounds like they will shut off the availability of standard DVDs as a way to force folks to the HD format.
They've been out for nearly five years now, and are giving people another 4-5 months notice. How is that forcing anyone?
Old 05-11-06, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You have plenty of time to pick them up on DVD. Did anyone really not expect HD and Blu-ray to get exclusives? I'm looking forward to this double dip in 2007.
Old 05-11-06, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
They've been out for nearly five years now, and are giving people another 4-5 months notice. How is that forcing anyone?
i don't think he was talking specifically about the Dirty Harry DVDs; he was talking about DVDs in general. If companies begin to discontinue DVDs in favor of re-releasing them in HD-DVD, they are forcing the consumerto adopt a new format even if they don't to in order for them to watch their favorite movies. imagine if Sony re-release the James Bond films in Blu-ray only. A lot of angry consumers will have 4 decisions at hand:

1- Buy the James Bond films on Blu-Ray, along with a Blu-Ray player, and a TV equiped to handle Blu-Ray technology.
2- Buy the out-of-print versions on DVD at a pretty high cost.
3- Seek bootleg versions at cheap prices or copy the DVD from: a. someone you know, b.Rental Store
4- Don't buy.

Guess which is the desicion most people are going to make? My guess is #3 or 4, since is what people do to Disney every time put something to the vault, making their product inaccessible to the consumer.
Old 05-11-06, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Boy, you format fans are bitter.
No shit, right?

There were a lot of laserdisc people bitter when DVD came out too. Give em another 3 or 4 years
Old 05-11-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Do we actually know that it's HD-DVD-exclusive? The press note doesn't clearly say so.
Old 05-11-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Do we actually know that it's HD-DVD-exclusive? The press note doesn't clearly say so.
Right. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see these get standard DVD editions too. The HD thing is the big news, so that's what the article is about.

BTW, it's good to see that game's finally going to come out. I was beginning to think it was cancelled.
Old 05-11-06, 10:46 AM
LiK

i dont plan on getting hd-dvd anytime soon untilt he format wars are over. so i'll pick up the regular set this summer. thanks for the heads up
Old 05-11-06, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Drexl
Right. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see these get standard DVD editions too. The HD thing is the big news, so that's what the article is about.

BTW, it's good to see that game's finally going to come out. I was beginning to think it was cancelled.
You are right.

Here is was Home Media Retailing wrote:

Warner Bros. Playing Dirty

Warner Bros. pulled out the stops for a cop … not just any gumshoe, but detective “Dirty Harry” Callahan, made famous over 17 years and five films by cultural icon Clint Eastwood.

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment May 10 at E3 in Los Angeles announced that Eastwood, Gene Hackman and Laurence Fishburne would lend their voices and likenesses to a Dirty Harry video game slated for release in 2007.

Warner Home Video beginning Sept. 1 will put a moratorium on all films of the “Harry” franchise, including Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool.

This is the first time the studio has ever placed a stop on new sales of a film franchise. The Dirty Harry titles collectively have sold 12 million units worldwide.

The titles will be upgraded to the HD DVD format, include revamped 5.1 sound and new bonus and original material (with Eastwood’s input), and will be re-released as the five-disc Dirty Harry Collection day-and-date with the video game.

In addition to Eastwood, the significance of “Dirty Harry” to Warner Bros. was underscored by the presence of top executives, including Time Warner chairman and CEO Barry Meyer, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group president Kevin Tsujihara and WHV president Ron Sanders.

Meyer said Eastwood’s 50-year history with Warner Bros. began in the 1950s with “Rawhide,” the studio’s first foray in the then-nascent television industry.

“It is a little bit of history repeating itself today with Eastwood here helping the studio launch itself into another new business, the game business,” said Meyer. “This is a very serious piece of business for Warner Bros.”

The 75-year-old Eastwood said he is often asked if he would reprise the Callahan role despite being well past retirement age for a police officer.

“What would I do, be a retiree fly-fishing out in some stream with a .44 magnum?” joked the soft-spoken Eastwood. “Besides, I get to do something that none of you will be able to do and that is, I get to go back and be 40 again.”

When asked if he would alter anything in the video game from the Dirty Harry film, Eastwood said he doesn’t look back and that the game would reflect the film’s characters moving forward in the game space.

Eastwood also noted that detective Callahan was the antithesis to politically correct, something that probably wouldn’t fly with today’s sensibilities.

“With politics today, I like being PC and I’ll stay that way,” Eastwood said.
http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=2&newsid=9100
Old 05-11-06, 12:25 PM
Banned

No wonder most of them were in the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin the past year.
Old 05-11-06, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
No shit, right?

There were a lot of laserdisc people bitter when DVD came out too. Give em another 3 or 4 years
Of course not nearly as many people bought into laserdisc as DVD. I'd be surprised if HD-DVD/Blu-Ray sells even as much as laserdisc and D-VHS. People have purchased way more DVDs than they ever did VHS tapes, and I seriously doubt they convert over the next few years. (Not even mentioning the stupid format wars which make it even harder for consumers.)
Old 05-11-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Argentoholic
I'm sure it'll come right out of moratorium when HD-DVD flops.

Good to know there will be buyers for my SD version when I upgrade.
Old 05-11-06, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
i don't think he was talking specifically about the Dirty Harry DVDs; he was talking about DVDs in general. If companies begin to discontinue DVDs in favor of re-releasing them in HD-DVD, they are forcing the consumerto adopt a new format even if they don't to in order for them to watch their favorite movies. imagine if Sony re-release the James Bond films in Blu-ray only. A lot of angry consumers will have 4 decisions at hand:
Thank you. That is exactly what I meant.
Old 05-11-06, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ignition
Of course not nearly as many people bought into laserdisc as DVD. I'd be surprised if HD-DVD/Blu-Ray sells even as much as laserdisc and D-VHS. People have purchased way more DVDs than they ever did VHS tapes, and I seriously doubt they convert over the next few years. (Not even mentioning the stupid format wars which make it even harder for consumers.)
Newsflash. You can play your precious SD-DVD's on an HD player. You'll be safe, I promise.

Sooner or later, one of them will take over because that's all they're going to sell. Regular DVD players will go away.
Old 05-11-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own this.... so.... should i keep it punk...... should i? hehe.
Old 05-11-06, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Newsflash. You can play your precious SD-DVD's on an HD player. You'll be safe, I promise.

Sooner or later, one of them will take over because that's all they're going to sell. Regular DVD players will go away.
Calm down toughnuts... I'd say you're just a tad overanxious about the new HD format. Personally, because my DVDs will play on the new players I'm not too concerned. That being said, however, I still stand behind my thoughts that although the new players might sell eventually (i.e. once they're a reaosnable price in a coupe of years), the new format for software will not. I think the main reason a lot of people latched on to the new format is simply because their VHS cassettes couldn't be jammed into a DVD player.

The average consumer is far less savvy than any of us at this forum, and while they may upgrade their player to be compatible with their new TVs (which they'll have to have before 2009 due to the mandatory switch to HD), many consumers won't see the need to upgrade their films, especially having spent so much in so few years.
Old 05-11-06, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ignition
Calm down toughnuts... I'd say you're just a tad overanxious about the new HD format. Personally, because my DVDs will play on the new players I'm not too concerned. That being said, however, I still stand behind my thoughts that although the new players might sell eventually (i.e. once they're a reaosnable price in a coupe of years), the new format for software will not. I think the main reason a lot of people latched on to the new format is simply because their VHS cassettes couldn't be jammed into a DVD player.

The average consumer is far less savvy than any of us at this forum, and while they may upgrade their player to be compatible with their new TVs (which they'll have to have before 2009 due to the mandatory switch to HD), many consumers won't see the need to upgrade their films, especially having spent so much in so few years.
No one's talking about converting their collections. I'm talking about buying new releases on the new format, which this Dirty Harry collection is.

Eventually, SD-DVD will be gone and HD will take over...much like analog and digital tv.
Old 05-11-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Good thing all my old CDs play on those SACD/DVD-A machines since that's all they sell now.
Old 05-11-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
You are right.
Does it specifically say that they will be released on standard DVD? I don't think it does.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.