Old 05-11-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Buy in Waldorf, MD had at least 7 of them today for 28.99
Old 05-12-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine from amazon yesterday. I checked my local Best Buy (thankfully 5 mins away from my job) and they had copies. But I decided not to get one since they all looked terrible. I waited and sure enough there was my amazon box in prestine shape.

Now I would like to complain about the idiots that work in these stores. Generally, they just don't care. I have one instance, where I argued with a girl for almost an hour that she gave me two of the wrong items (Donald Fagen's new CD and Ben Harper's new one). I had to explan, "I ordered the 2 disc of Donald Fagen and 3 disc of Ben Harper". This one said to me, "They are right here". In fact she even told me they came up wrong in the system, changed it and I was still telling her it was wrong. When she went into the back, I walked over and grabbed the correct ones. I was now visually explaning what was wrong. And still nothing. I had finally had it. I let her ring it up, I walked down to the next person, returned said items and bought the ones in my hand. What an ordeal.

Then I had another experience with Scrubs Season One. Best Buy had a bonus disc, which I wanted. However I was in a rush and could not find the set. I asked one of the blue shirts and I asked for the bonus disc. This guy must have thought I was nuts, because he had no idea what I was talking about. He took me to where the DVD's were and I explained to him that the bonus ones will have a sticker. I kid you not, this sticker said "Best Buy Exclusive" and this guy said, "This isn't from our store". And he tried to convince me that they would not take it at the counter. Unreal.

In closing, the employees are idiots. But if you really wanted to get a limited edition of anything, pre-order from Tower Records or Amazon. They work the best. Also, go to your local store every now and then, I did and I got Cinderella Man about two months ago and a cheap price (under $29). You never know.
Old 05-12-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by macnorton
I got mine from amazon yesterday. I checked my local Best Buy (thankfully 5 mins away from my job) and they had copies. But I decided not to get one since they all looked terrible. I waited and sure enough there was my amazon box in prestine shape.

Now I would like to complain about the idiots that work in these stores. Generally, they just don't care. I have one instance, where I argued with a girl for almost an hour that she gave me two of the wrong items (Donald Fagen's new CD and Ben Harper's new one). I had to explan, "I ordered the 2 disc of Donald Fagen and 3 disc of Ben Harper". This one said to me, "They are right here". In fact she even told me they came up wrong in the system, changed it and I was still telling her it was wrong. When she went into the back, I walked over and grabbed the correct ones. I was now visually explaning what was wrong. And still nothing. I had finally had it. I let her ring it up, I walked down to the next person, returned said items and bought the ones in my hand. What an ordeal.

Then I had another experience with Scrubs Season One. Best Buy had a bonus disc, which I wanted. However I was in a rush and could not find the set. I asked one of the blue shirts and I asked for the bonus disc. This guy must have thought I was nuts, because he had no idea what I was talking about. He took me to where the DVD's were and I explained to him that the bonus ones will have a sticker. I kid you not, this sticker said "Best Buy Exclusive" and this guy said, "This isn't from our store". And he tried to convince me that they would not take it at the counter. Unreal.

In closing, the employees are idiots. But if you really wanted to get a limited edition of anything, pre-order from Tower Records or Amazon. They work the best. Also, go to your local store every now and then, I did and I got Cinderella Man about two months ago and a cheap price (under $29). You never know.
You got to give some of these employees a break! Most of them are underpaid and underappreciated as is. Keep in mind also that with as much product the dvd and cd department has, it is impossible to remember which ones have a regular and limited edition. So next time, just take a deep breath and relax.
Old 05-12-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Dang, I didn't even know there was a 2 disc Munich available.
Old 05-12-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
You got to give some of these employees a break! Most of them are underpaid and underappreciated as is. Keep in mind also that with as much product the dvd and cd department has, it is impossible to remember which ones have a regular and limited edition. So next time, just take a deep breath and relax.

I would...normally, but this was down right stupidity. I am usually very pleasant . But come on, they should know the difference between a 2 disc and a regualr disc.
Old 05-12-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know that a 2 disc LE was even available until today when I had already bought the barebones at Best Buy yesterday. Seeing as how they didn't have it in their flier or on the shelf, last night I guessed a LE was going to arrive down the road, so I got the single disc. Today I found out that not only was there a 2 disc, but it was OOP!

Anyway, I got some DVDs I never watch in a bag and headed to Borders, the first place I always check when I look for an obscure DVD title. They didn't have it. So...I immediately went to a little known place that trades and sells movies that nobody really thinks to go to because it sells at list price. If I didn't find it here, then I would have just shrugged it off and searched and another day or go to ebay in the future. I searched, and found it! I went out and got my trade DVDs and after trading two Vin Diesel films was able to get this baby for only $5 out of my own pocket, and that was with a $34.99 list price!

Interesting how some collectors learn months in advance and despite all efforts can't get the goods, while others like myself can learn about it and then more or less go get it on a whim!
Old 05-12-06, 06:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Interesting. I didn't know that a 2 disc LE was even available until today when I had already bought the barebones at Best Buy yesterday. Seeing as how they didn't have it in their flier or on the shelf, last night I guessed a LE was going to arrive down the road, so I got the single disc. Today I found out that not only was there a 2 disc, but it was OOP!

Anyway, I got some DVDs I never watch in a bag and headed to Borders, the first place I always check when I look for an obscure DVD title. They didn't have it. So...I immediately went to a little known place that trades and sells movies that nobody really thinks to go to because it sells at list price. If I didn't find it here, then I would have just shrugged it off and searched and another day or go to ebay in the future. I searched, and found it! I went out and got my trade DVDs and after trading two Vin Diesel films was able to get this baby for only $5 out of my own pocket, and that was with a $34.99 list price!

Interesting how some collectors learn months in advance and despite all efforts can't get the goods, while others like myself can learn about it and then more or less go get it on a whim!
are you insane??????

giving up two Vin Diesel movies...they are going to be gold in the future...gold!
Old 05-13-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I went back to bestbuy yesterday to buy sex and the city set for my sister-in-law (had the triple rewardzone point coupon and on sale) and they actually had a munich on the shelf. Tuesday by 1020 one person came in and bought all the ones all the shelf, anyway point is maybe they have some in the back if you ask an employee.
Old 05-13-06, 11:37 AM

Is the 2-Disc LE even worth it if you haven't seen it? I didn't watch the movie in theaters and I can't seem to find it at any rental stores so i'm thinking I should just buy the single disc while it's still cheap.
Old 05-13-06, 12:14 PM

My copy shipped from Buy.com today. I had a $10 gift cert so the total came to about $20.

Our we to assume this is going to be an on-going marketing ploy by Universal on two-disc sets?
Old 05-14-06, 01:15 AM
MGR

Originally Posted by man*machine
If anyone is having trouble finding one in L.A., you may want to try Laser Blazer on the westside. They had at least 30 of the limiteed-edition when I was in there a few hours ago. Maybe call them to see if they still have any left since they may have all flown off the shelf at this point. Their price was $29.99.
I stopped by Laser Blazer Saturday afternoon. They still had 10 copies (that I saw anyway) out on the racks. They all have an Out Of Print sticker on them, and the price is now $33
Old 05-14-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there seem to be several reasonably priced copies listed on half.com if anyone is still looking for one.
Old 05-16-06, 07:08 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I ended up just buying the single disc release, since I live in Canada. I may wait to open it, just in case I end up finding the LE set somewhere.
Old 05-17-06, 08:55 AM

After reading this thread I bought all 5 copies at my local BB and I am taking a leave of absence from work to scour the tri-state area for ALL available copies.

Ha ha ha!! I will corner the market!! Riches await me!! I shall keep them shrink wrapped for 6 months perhaps a year or longer then collect my fantabulous booty reward on ebay!!

The 2 disc Munich will soon become the most desirable oop DVD in the free world!! Ha ha ha!!

I am a genius if I humbly say so myself!! Look upon my works ye mighty and despair!!

You want a copy for $100!!?? Ha ha I laugh at thee and urinate on your unclean dreams!!

I will set the market and determine the price!! I am king, lord and savior of all that I survey! Kow tow in my presence kow tow NOWWW I SAY!!!

BY THE POWER OF GREY SKULL--- I AM THE POWER!!!
Old 05-17-06, 01:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Some like ABs SUSPIRIA are laughable-you still see them in stores and online despite the 'Limited to 50,000 copies!'
Old 05-17-06, 03:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I remember seeing at least three copies of the Suspiria LE, at a booth, at the Rue-Morgue Festival of Fear I attended last year. They'll probably have more this year, too.
Old 05-18-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bleh. Why can't we DVD customers get together and decide not to be ripped off?

These 2-disc sets with a few documentaries used to go for 15.99 on release week. Now they're trying to sell them to us for like 40 bucks, and bare-bones nonsense discs for 15.99? Bullshit.

There's no way I'm paying for either of these versions, and if we would stick together and not pay twice what we used to pay for DVD's, maybe they would cut it out.

Renting isn't that awful, is it?
Old 05-18-06, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bleh. Why can't we DVD customers get together and decide not to be ripped off?

These 2-disc sets with a few documentaries used to go for 15.99 on release week. Now they're trying to sell them to us for like 40 bucks, and bare-bones nonsense discs for 15.99? Bullshit.

Then they limit the shit out of them for the sake of hype?? Well, hype this: I'm not wasting my time and gas searching around and begging for the chance to pay double what these kinds of sets used to go for.

There's no way I'm paying for either of these versions, and if we would stick together and not pay twice what we used to pay for DVD's, maybe they would cut it out.

Old 05-18-06, 07:20 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lamphorn
Um...yes.
Old 05-18-06, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see DVD Pacific has received some more stock on this title and is in stock now. It disappeared off the site for a few days and is back again now. Maybe there are still a few copies out there.
Old 05-18-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey I have done alot worse with $40 bucks, this 2 disc LE was well worth it for me. It was a pretty solid blind buy and I will be keeping it. Great film.
Old 05-18-06, 11:53 AM

I watched this DVD yesterday through Netflix, it's a good movie....but there is no way I can see my self watching this film repeatedly. Passing.
Old 05-18-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by unbeeleebable
I see DVD Pacific has received some more stock on this title and is in stock now. It disappeared off the site for a few days and is back again now. Maybe there are still a few copies out there.
Indeed, as stated in an earlier post citing spielberg.com, more of these will be made available. I believe this is what we are seeing. However, I am still waiting for shipping confirmation from Deep Discount DVD.
Old 05-18-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Hey I have done alot worse with $40 bucks.
Heh, I like that. Got mine from DDD this wk, a little banged up but all well.

Great film. I love it when Spielberg hammers out two films a yr!
Old 05-18-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
I love it when Spielberg hammers out two films a yr!
Spielberg is the most productive director I have ever known. Furthermore, he works faster than any other director as well. No one comes even close to his directing efforts.

Last edited by Dane; 05-18-06 at 04:09 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.