Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Munich 2 Disc Oop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Target had none, Circuit City had none. Best Buy had 5 of them, I got one. Just need to borrow my brothers single dvd copy and watch the film to see if I wanna keep this damn expensive 2DVD.
Old 05-09-06, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the point of even making those featurettes they put on the 2nd disc when hardly anyone actually gets to see them? It seems like kind of a waste to me.
Old 05-09-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ordered mine from DDD on 5/9, shipped on 5/9 with no problem it seems.
Although they are backordered on Late Spring..... grr
Old 05-09-06, 10:25 PM

I found one at Fred Meyer for $29.99, even though I said I wouldn't buy it because it seemed a little fluffy as far as extras go, I still splurged since I knew it would be very limited and hard to get.
Old 05-09-06, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
As far as it's availability, I saw none in Walmart and this was the only one I saw in Best Buy.
Walmart doesn't sell many if any of the 2 disc SE or CE on new releases. They package the single disc releases with their own "exclusive" extras disc. I'm assuming they don't sell the standard 2 disc sets so they don't overshadow their own releases?
Old 05-10-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Depression
I'm assuming they don't sell the standard 2 disc sets so they don't overshadow their own releases?
I don't think that's the case. I think it has more to do with the distributor. Wal-Mart has generally carried 2 disc releases right along side their single disc (usually fullscreen) counterparts. They carried Narnia, Walk the Line, King Kong, Charlie & the Chocolate factory deluxe editions. They did not have Jarhead and I'm not sure but I don't think they had the Cinderella Man collector's edition. I think Universal is behind the ultra limited editions of late. I think part of the reason for the backlash is that a lot of their two disc releases have wound up in the bargain bin, and I think they're trying to save some cash on the second disc by charging a premium on the 2 disc set for a limited few. Examples are Catch Me if You Can, Road to Perdition, & AI. All great films IMHO but can generally be had cheap. I think they got tired of producing these deluxe releases that after a few months fail to draw deluxe prices. They are still catering to collector's by offering the premium edition but protecting their bottom line by offering up a single movie only disc to rental stores and passive consumers.
Old 05-10-06, 07:19 AM
LiK

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
I decided to go looking for this tonight as well:

Best Buy... no stock
Borders... 2 copies "on order" but none in stock
FYE... 4 copies in stock, but for $39.99
Barnes & Noble... 2 copies in stock, for $39.99 - 10% off

Decided just to go with B&N.
i ordered from B&N and it came out to 29 with change in total and free shipping. best deal i found. i would've ordered from BB but the total came out 2 dollars more.

these limited SEs should be around for one week at least. not less than one day. although who knows if those eBay scalpers out there are hording them to resell...
Old 05-10-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got down there, and looked on the New Release wall, as well as in the drama section, and no 2-disc sets to be found. I was pretty steamed at this point, but kindly asked a blue shirt if they had any, and he said "Did you call?" and I said yes, so he handed me the last copy that he had stashed at his terminal, saying that he looked after I called, and there was only one left. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't asked for his name, I'd be driving to another Best Buy right now.
That was nice of the employee to do that for you.

From what has come up in these threads, Target is only carrying the single DVD version.
The one by me only had the single disc edition. The lady I talked to yesterday said that her store didn't get any 2-disc editions and I would have to order it online.

I hope that tomorrow I can find the 2-disc edition. I really don't want to drive around looking for it.
Old 05-10-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I ordered my SE from bestbuy.com and arranged for in-store pickup. I went to the store to pick it up, and lo and behold they pulled the wrong version. I guess that I should have expected as much. By the time I explained their mistake to them, they were already sold out of the SE. The chick at customer service didn't want to return my order because it would "mess up their inventory". I was like, what the fuck? I told her that I didn't care about her inventory, and I wanted to return the order. She called a manager over, and she returned it.. She never apologized to me for the fuck up, so I called corporate customer service right there to complain.

I was irked by the fact that they pulled the wrong DVD from the shelf, but I was (and still am) pissed at the fact that I was never offered a simple apology.

Every store in town was sold out of it at that point, so I went home and ordered it from amazon.

Fucking Best Buy fuckers.
Old 05-10-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Chef
So, I ordered my SE from bestbuy.com and arranged for in-store pickup. I went to the store to pick it up, and lo and behold they pulled the wrong version. I guess that I should have expected as much. By the time I explained their mistake to them, they were already sold out of the SE. The chick at customer service didn't want to return my order because it would "mess up their inventory". I was like, what the fuck? I told her that I didn't care about her inventory, and I wanted to return the order. She called a manager over, and she returned it.. She never apologized to me for the fuck up, so I called corporate customer service right there to complain.

I was irked by the fact that they pulled the wrong DVD from the shelf, but I was (and still am) pissed at the fact that I was never offered a simple apology.

Every store in town was sold out of it at that point, so I went home and ordered it from amazon.

Fucking Best Buy fuckers.
I'm just having trouble understanding why so many places sold out of it by Noon on the day of its release. I know it's a Limited Edition DVD, but I sure as hell didn't expect it to be that limited.
Old 05-10-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Universal underestimated demand for 2-disc set hence shortage
Old 05-10-06, 08:37 AM
Cool New Member

I went yesterday to try to get Munich SE at BB in Toronto, didn't have one...they did have several copies of Jarhead SE though...
Old 05-10-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did an instore pickup from Best Buy for the 2-disc. I also was nervous that they would pick the 1-disc instead, but luckily when I showed up after work, they had the 2-disc waiting. I'm usually not so lucky with them.
Old 05-10-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL, I meant to change my DVDEmpire preorder to the single disc after reading the other review thread and forgot to do so. Glad I did. The CE seems nice, though the Towering Inferno CE is more of what I consider a special edition package with lobby cards, books and inserts (!).
Old 05-10-06, 10:03 AM
Banned

CC in this area of MA had no idea what I was talking about with Munich SE 2 disk set, I have not seen ANY in this area yet. This is truly ridiculous...
Old 05-10-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you guys from the u.s. are very luckily, that you can just walk into a local store and pick up a copy! for europeans like me we anyhow have to rely on online stores.
however, the good news is that the production company seems to have the presses back in action, as the limited edition is listed in all major online stores again, namely amazon, dvdempire, dvdpacific. so all you folks that are still looking for a copy can order from there as alternative!
Old 05-10-06, 10:06 AM
Cool New Member

Every Best Buy in South Florida seemingly sold out by lunch time, according to the site. I went ahead and picked up the only copy at Barnes and Nobel this morning. I didn't mind paying the extra few bucks (luckily they had a 10% off sale though) to avoid the aggrivation. It's a really nice looking set, and I'm glad I was able to get it to go along with 21 hours at Munich, and One Day in September in my collection. But I'm starting to have a huge problem with Universal these days....

P.S: In case anyone decides to get theirs at BandN, be sure to look in the boxsets section if you can't find it. It took the sweet girl at BN a little while to find it, until she noticed the computer listed it as a boxset.
Old 05-10-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People still looking for this in New England should head out to Newbury Comics. They seem to have plenty, $27.99.
Old 05-10-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Depression
Walmart doesn't sell many if any of the 2 disc SE or CE on new releases. They package the single disc releases with their own "exclusive" extras disc. I'm assuming they don't sell the standard 2 disc sets so they don't overshadow their own releases?
That is correct. As a dvd buyer I have to remind myself again that when something like this comes out, stay clear of Wal-Mart. I goofed again by going into their store thinking that they'd have this. When Cinderella Man: LE came out everybody but Wal-Mart/Circuit City/K-Mart stocked it. Even Target carried it. So, I can't fault myself for checking those places again. This was a very hard dvd to pickup and find in my locale. Universal has to do a better job at making these LE's available to consumers. Because this was a pain in the ass to hunt down.
Old 05-10-06, 11:37 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
i think we now know the answer, it amazes me that people still equate "hard to find" with OOP. and why the clamour over this edition when there is another thread stating how poor it is?
Old 05-10-06, 11:48 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
why the clamour over this edition when there is another thread stating how poor it is?
One man's poor is another man's jewel. And have you SEEN the cover art?!
Old 05-10-06, 11:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
And have you SEEN the cover art?!
why yes, yes i have seen the cover art. it reminds me of one of those re-issued "Award Winner's Editions" with a small picture surrounded by LARGE borders. granted it is better than the 1-disc art, but egads such pawltry extras.
Old 05-10-06, 12:31 PM
LiK

so it seems, unlike jarhead, this was just a mistake that most people want extra stuff with their DVDs. wow, seems like a big fuck up considering that one of the reasons people like DVDs are for the extras. i know we're not the "mainstream" who only buys the single disc movies but they shouldn't limit the production of SE/CE versions down to such miniscule amounts.

thanks for the link, seems like this won't be hard to find like i thought.
Old 05-10-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LiK
so it seems, unlike jarhead, this was just a mistake that most people want extra stuff with their DVDs. wow, seems like a big fuck up considering that one of the reasons people like DVDs are for the extras. i know we're not the "mainstream" who only buys the single disc movies but they shouldn't limit the production of SE/CE versions down to such miniscule amounts.

thanks for the link, seems like this won't be hard to find like i thought.

So, what I'm wondering is, will this still be a "Limited Collector's Edition"? That link to spielberg.com both says everyone who really wants won should be able to get one, but still calls it limited, so that's weird. I think I'll place an order on DDD, and see what happens...
Old 05-10-06, 12:55 PM

This is fantastic marketing. I thought this exact thing would happen after Jarhead, the studios are making near $30 prices seem ok because you get to be cooler than the Joneseses and their welfare single disc edition.

I spent the $3 more to get the 2 disc Lord of War, but I won't spend more than that. It was a decent disc, but not worth $10+. I could care less about a photobook, too. You can get most press kits for less than $10 on eBay, which are usually much more than a photobook.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.