DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Munich 2 Disc Oop?

Old 05-18-06, 06:33 PM
Banned

Robert Rodriguez is arguably more productive than Spielberg, and while Spielberg has released movies twice in a single year four times over the course of his career ("Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"/"Always" in '89, "Jurassic Park"/"Schindler's List" in '93, "The Lost World: Jurassic Park"/"Amistad" in '97 and "War of the Worlds"/"Munich" in '05) he also has periods of extended inactivity, such as the three years between "Saving Private Ryan" and "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" and the four years between "Schindler's List" and "The Lost World" Jurassic Park".

If you look at his overall output over the years, it's not all that amazing, really. There are several other directors that average a film every 1-3 years. I also think that his attempts at making two movies in a single year are hit and miss. The less that's said about "Always", the better, and I feel that "Jurassic Park" suffered because Spielberg couldn't focus on post-production due to the production of "Schindler's List". "Amistad" is not that great, either, and it's actually the better of his two '97 films. Of the four examples, the only one that impresses me is doing "War of the Worlds" and "Munich" back-to-back.
Old 05-18-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dane
Spielberg is the most productive director I have ever known. Furthermore, he works faster than any other director as well. No one comes even close to his directing efforts.
This isn't even close to true. I love Spielberg's work, so I take no issue with the enthusiasm for his films. He is definitely a top notch director, but he is by no means the most prolific. Just one example of a current director who is far more prolific is Woody Allen, who has written (which Spielberg rarely does) and directed AT LEAST one film per year for over 30 years. He's literally writing the next one at night while shooting the current one. Is he as good as Speilberg? That's open to debate. But he's much faster and more productive (not to mention way more cost-conscious).
Old 05-18-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spielberg doesn't have to do a movie every year to impress me. His overall body of work and directing ability is what impresses me and are 2 of the reasons why he is and will always be my favorite director.
Old 05-18-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I received my copy of Munich 2-disc today from DDD. It arrived in perfect condition.
Old 05-18-06, 08:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by GuruTwo:
Robert Rodriguez is arguably more productive than Spielberg, and while Spielberg has released movies twice in a single year four times over the course of his career ("Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"/"Always" in '89, "Jurassic Park"/"Schindler's List" in '93, "The Lost World: Jurassic Park"/"Amistad" in '97 and "War of the Worlds"/"Munich" in '05) he also has periods of extended inactivity, such as the three years between "Saving Private Ryan" and "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" and the four years between "Schindler's List" and "The Lost World" Jurassic Park".

If you look at his overall output over the years, it's not all that amazing, really. There are several other directors that average a film every 1-3 years. I also think that his attempts at making two movies in a single year are hit and miss. The less that's said about "Always", the better, and I feel that "Jurassic Park" suffered because Spielberg couldn't focus on post-production due to the production of "Schindler's List". "Amistad" is not that great, either, and it's actually the better of his two '97 films. Of the four examples, the only one that impresses me is doing "War of the Worlds" and "Munich" back-to-back.
As much as I love Rodriguez, movies like Spy Kids or The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl don't quite have as much substance as something like Munich. Not to knock Rodriguez, but I think a politcally charged historical thriller took a lot more time and energy than a flick co-written by an 8-year-old.
Just because Spielberg's overall output averages out doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment. Anyone that can put out two high-profile releases in the same calendar year deserves some praise. I will agree that his movies have been hit and miss, but I think this is true even when he only does 1 movie in a year. Oh, and you left out 2002 - Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can. That was a decent one-two punch.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention that I got my 2-Disc Munich from bn.com about two days after I ordered it. A little crease in the packaging, but I can live with it. Great film, by the way.

Last edited by eddiemunster; 05-18-06 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-18-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Is he as good as Speilberg? That's open to debate. But he's much faster and more productive (not to mention way more cost-conscious).
Spielberg is pretty cost-conscious considering the scale of the films he makes and the stories he tells; his movies usually cost less than whatever the average is at a given moment ... and that scale is also part of what makes his double-years as impressive as they are.

Also worth noting, Robert Altman has roughly as many features as Woody Allen with only a few more years (and, obviously, ignoring his TV work). His prolificness coupled with the diversity of it has always fascinated me.
Old 05-18-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eddiemunster
. Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention that I got my 2-Disc Munich from bn.com about two days after I ordered it. A little crease in the packaging, but I can live with it. Great film, by the way.
Same Here. Same Here. Yes great film, was a blind buy for me.
Only slight bad thingy, the WOTW special features were better and longer than this.
Old 05-19-06, 12:44 AM
Banned

For some reason I though "CMIYC" came out in '03 but I stand corrected. In any case, Spielberg has done it five times and only twice has neither film suffered because of it. Spielberg deserves some credit for "Minority Report"/"Catch Me If You Can" and "War of the Worlds"/"Munich" but like I said before, one or both films suffered in all three other cases.

As much as I love Rodriguez, movies like Spy Kids or The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl don't quite have as much substance as something like Munich. Not to knock Rodriguez, but I think a politcally charged historical thriller took a lot more time and energy than a flick co-written by an 8-year-old.
Just because Spielberg's overall output averages out doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment.
Biased much? Talk about a contradiction, you write off Rodriguez due to the lighter fare of his family films yet you praise Spielberg for his "accomplishment" of spreading himself too thin, resulting in pure crap like "Always" and stuff with tons of unrealized potential like "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "Jurassic Park", "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" and "Amistad".
Old 05-19-06, 05:14 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by GuruTwo:
Biased much? Talk about a contradiction, you write off Rodriguez due to the lighter fare of his family films yet you praise Spielberg for his "accomplishment" of spreading himself too thin, resulting in pure crap like "Always" and stuff with tons of unrealized potential like "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "Jurassic Park", "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" and "Amistad".
I don't think it's a contradiction because Rodriguez has never really made a movie of considerable substance. (Not that I have any issue with that - I love his movies and don't mean to write him off.) Plus, I'm not really praising Spielberg for his lighter fare. My point is that Spielberg's track record contains a lot more depth and weight than Rodriguez. It's tremendous that either of them releases two movies in the same year. I just don't think that you can put Rodriguez above Spielberg until he reaches the level of flicks like Schindler's List or Munich.
And I totally agree - Minority Report/ Catch Me If You Can and War of the Worlds/Munich are his best two-movie-years.