Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Universal Horror in September

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 10:13 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
My DVD version was distributed by Image as well though it also has the Kino Video logo.
How about that! I just pulled mine off the shelf, and while it's got the Kino logo on the front and the spine, on the back, it's got both the Kino and the Image logo. Like darkside says, it was distributed by Image. Given the prominence of the Kino logo, if you're looking for it in the store, I'd look for that.
Old 07-08-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... not to go too off-topic, but it looks like there were two (practically identical) DVD releases. An older Kino/Image release (in a snapper) that is now OOP.

That was followed by a solo Kino release (in a keepcase) that is identical in every way -- even using the same cover graphics/text. But there's no Image logo on the back of the keepcase of the edition that is currently in print.
Old 07-10-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
A friend emailed me he read in a video retail trade magazine that Universal is also releasing the the 1973 TV-Movie FRANKENSTEIN:THE TRUE STORY with Michael Sarrazin and James Mason in Sept.
Old 07-12-06, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Specs updated and menus added at DVD Times:

Frankenstein (75th Anniversary Edition)

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.33:1 Full Frame
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French & Spanish subtitles
Karloff: The Gentle Monster
Monster Tracks
Audio Commentary with Rudy Behlmer
Audio Commentary with Historian Sir Christopher Frayling

Disc 2: Extra Features
Universal Horror
The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster
Frankenstein Archives
Boo! A Short Film
Theatrical Trailer

Dracula (75th Anniversary Edition)

English DD2.0 Mono
Audio Commentary with Film Historian David J. Skal
Audio Commentary with Steve Haberman, Screenwriter of “Dracula: Dead and Loving It”
Score by Philip Glass performed by The Kornos Quartet
Lugosi: The Dark Prince
The Road to Dracula
Monster Tracks

Dracula (1931) Spanish Version
Introduction to the Spanish Version by Lupita Tovar Kohner
Universal Horror
Poster Montage
Theatrical Trailer
Old 07-12-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, these are both must buys for the new commentaries, the A&E biographies and especially the excellent Universal Horror. Now when is the HD DVD version coming?
Old 07-12-06, 05:05 PM

PLEASE give us a new DRACULA transfer! The old one looks dreadful...
Old 07-12-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

especially the excellent Universal Horror
Is that the Brownlow documentary? Why would it be on *both* titles?

I'm wondering if it's something else... something less spectacular.
Old 07-12-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Is that the Brownlow documentary? Why would it be on *both* titles?

I'm wondering if it's something else... something less spectacular.
Yeah, I may be getting my hopes up for nothing but if it is the 90 minute documentary I won't care if its on both versions as long as I can own it on DVD.
Old 07-13-06, 04:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, I may be getting my hopes up for nothing but if it is the 90 minute documentary I won't care if its on both versions as long as I can own it on DVD.
I wouldn't hold much hope since it's Universal we're talking about. They might only include an excerpt pertaining to the movie. See what they did for the AFI Hitchcock Tribute on their Hitchcock box.
Old 07-19-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
covers and menus from dvd times

Old 07-19-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and from the bits

Old 07-25-06, 04:41 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that dvdtimes confirmed that the "Universal Horror" documentary is in fact the one by Brownlow released by TCM in 1998. For anyone who hasn't see it, it is a MUST for classic horror fans - one of the best film documentaries I've ever seen. And, apparenlty, it will be on both 75th anniversary releases. Cool stuff and the doc. is worth the price alone.
Old 07-25-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if that's true... Universal just sold me on these, sight unseen. That's a FANTASTIC documentary.
Old 07-26-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
You've convinced me to get both of theese, I have the earlier versions with the extra movies on both discs that was released awhile ago and I thought i'd be happy with that but after seeing all the specs on theese two plus being remasterd, I have to get it. I will mark them down right now.
Old 07-26-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Well, if that's true... Universal just sold me on these, sight unseen. That's a FANTASTIC documentary.
I agree that it's a fantastic documentary, but why is it on Frankenstein AND Dracula? Is it edited down to just, as ftsoh said, an excerpt pertaining to the movie? If so, I'll be pissed. The documentary should be presented as is.
Old 07-26-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by evenswr
I agree that it's a fantastic documentary, but why is it on Frankenstein AND Dracula? Is it edited down to just, as ftsoh said, an excerpt pertaining to the movie? If so, I'll be pissed. The documentary should be presented as is.
If this were a normal company, I'd say that it was on both so that you could buy one or the other and still get the documentary.

But, since this is Universal, the edit theory can't be dismissed. We'll see.
Old 07-26-06, 04:41 PM

The official specs from dvdtimes.co.uk for the Region 1 editions:

Frankenstein (75th Anniversary Edition)

English DD2.0 Mono
Karloff: The Gentle Monster - A half hour documentary tribute to horror icon Boris Karloff, tracing his career using film highlights and interviews, and examining his relationships with Frankenstein director James Whale and fellow actor Bela Lugosi.
Monster Tracks – While watching the film, viewers can elect to see interactive pop-ups presenting obscure, interesting and amusing facts about the making of Frankenstein.
Audio Commentary with film historian Rudy Behlmer
Audio Commentary with film historian Sir Christopher Frayling

Universal Horror Documentary, narrated by Kenneth Branagh, takes you on a fascinating chronological journey through the making of the most memorable monster films of all time.
The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster – A documentary hosted by film historian David J. Skal discusses the influence of Mary Shelley’s Gothic novel on Hollywood horror films. Features interviews with an array of filmmakers, writers and actors, including Boris Karloff’s daughter, Sara.
Frankenstein Archives
Boo! – This short film, made in 1932, takes a tongue-in-cheek look at classic monster movies. Includes clips from Frankenstein, Dracula and more.
Theatrical Trailer

Dracula (75th Anniversary Edition)

English DD2.0 Mono
Audio Commentary with Film Historian David J. Shal
Audio Commentary with Steve Haberman, Screnwriter of “Dracula: Dead and Loving It”
Original Score written by Philip Glass, one of the most influential composers of the 20th century, and performed by the legendary Kronos Quartet.
Lugosi: The Dark Prince - A tribute to the immortal Bela Lugosi with interviews, film highlights, insights into his relationships with Dracula director Tod Browning and horror rivals Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney, plus the impact of Lugosi’s signature role on his film career.
The Road to Dracula – An original documentary by film historian David J. Skal, tracing the development of the Dracula legend in movies. Features interviews with actors and filmmakers from the original movie.
Monster Tracks – While watching the film, viewers can elect to see interactive pop-ups with obscure, interesting and amusing facts about the making of Dracula.

Dracula – The complete Spanish version of the timeless tale, also made in 1931, with a special introduction by its star, Lupita Tovar
Universal Horror Documentary, narrated by Kenneth Branagh, takes you on a fascinating chronological journey through the making of the most memorable monster films of all time.
Poster Montage
Theatrical Trailer

....My guess is the same. The documentary is probably included on both so that people who just pick up one can see it and not have to buy the other; could be wrong...but the description of doc. doesn't say anything about it being divided up.
Old 07-27-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if they get the scream right, and a complete documentary...this could be perfect
Old 07-27-06, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by beene1000
....My guess is the same. The documentary is probably included on both so that people who just pick up one can see it and not have to buy the other; could be wrong...but the description of doc. doesn't say anything about it being divided up.
I hope that's the case, but I'm skeptical. Universal Horror is 95 mins...
Old 07-27-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is plenty of space on the disc for the complete doc and they are charging $26.98 for a single film instead of this having a ton of films for $26.98 so I'm very hopefull that its the full doc. Now I just need to know when this is coming to HD DVD.
Old 07-27-06, 07:57 AM

I bought all of the Universal Monsters "Legacy Collections" as they were released. While these new dvd's look nice, I can't see double dipping. The Legacy sets are more than enough for me.
Old 07-27-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't heard anything about these appearing on HD DVD, so I'll probably pick them up, provided the picture is cleaned up.
Old 07-27-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in for sure if it's the documentary we're all hoping for. I remember having that on tape and being the main thing that got me so interested into classic horror. I went to watch it a couple years ago, only to discover I'd taped over it in favor of whatever I was into at the time. Boo.
Old 09-17-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

any reviews up for Dracula or Frankenstein?
Old 09-17-06, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
any reviews up for Dracula or Frankenstein?
I found this one reviewing both:
http://www.fangoria.com/dvd_review.php?id=2692
The review looks positive with video improvements in Dracula and the
sound effects restored.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.